Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News - Microsoft Windows 8 limps past Vista market share

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Microsoft Windows 8 limps past Vista market share

Now at five per cent, according to Netmarketshare.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • cheesyboy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabye 970a-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • Athlon X2 270 Cooled by fanless Xigmatek Thor's Hammer
      • Memory:
      • 1x4GB Ballistix Tactical 1600
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX560Ti
      • PSU:
      • 400w Be Quiet Pure Power L8
      • Case:
      • Bitfenix Shinobi Mid-Tower Black/Green
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1

Re: News - Microsoft Windows 8 limps past Vista market share

It seems to move like this with Windows; Win98 stood as no.1 through the Win2k and ME editions until XP appeared. XP's popularity ran through Vista, Win7 has killed Win8

It seems consumers prefer to move on slower OS cycles than MS likes to produce them

Banned
    Thanks

TBH if windows 2000 was still supported and have native wireless. I'd be using it now.

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cheesyboy View Post
    It seems to move like this with Windows; Win98 stood as no.1 through the Win2k and ME editions until XP appeared. XP's popularity ran through Vista, Win7 has killed Win8

It seems consumers prefer to move on slower OS cycles than MS likes to produce them
    People bitch and whinge about Windows 8 but IMHO the reality is that hardware and OS sales have slowed because the machines from a few years ago are still quite good (thanks to Intel/AMD), and whatever we do as geeks we need to remember most people don't/can't upgrade the OS, they buy hardware with an OS and use it until it's knackered/slow/unusable. A Windows 7 PC or laptop from 2-3 years ago just doesn't need replacing so people are spending on more exciting smartphones and tablets instead because they are seeing more obvious improvements each year.

Businesses have only just migrated XP to 7 (some are still lagging), they aren't in the mood for another refresh, the hardware is fine and everything works. Windows 8 seems more consumer focussed anyway so the large market share gains from business desktop migrations will probably never happen for Windows 8, maybe Windows 9+.

In short - I'm not surprised.

Thanks
    • simonpreston's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Prime X370 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3800X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3000mhz
      • Storage:
      • A lot.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon RX580
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Zalman MS1000
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 / Kubuntu 20.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell 2412m
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media

Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    A Windows 7 PC or laptop from 2-3 years ago just doesn't need replacing
    I'd go even further than that. I still use Core 2 Duo based machines (7 year old tech) every day and they're perfectly usable, especially so with an SSD installed. That said, most people who would have bought them would probably have done so with XP or Vista installed. Mine all run 7, obviously.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

End of this year, beginning of next and I expect Windows blue will start to rocket in sales and usage.

XBox one will run DX11.2 and there are a lot of new features to make things faster.....so I am fully expecting the new console ports (i.e. 99% of releases) to perform better on blue, driving sales to gamers.

There may be a lot of people swallowing their pride and upgrading at the end of the year...
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by simonpreston View Post
    I'd go even further than that. I still use Core 2 Duo based machines (7 year old tech) every day and they're perfectly usable, especially so with an SSD installed. That said, most people who would have bought them would probably have done so with XP or Vista installed. Mine all run 7, obviously.
    Agree with what you're saying - the system I use most of the two I have is a 2nd hand Dell D620 laptop with the memory maxed out and the OS sitting on a Samsung 830 SSD. Quick, quiet and trouble free - although that one runs Ubuntu LTS, not Windows of any version.
    Do you, the readers, envisage a time when Windows 8 is the most popular OS available, or will future Microsoft OSes consign the eighth iteration to, putting it bluntly, the dustbin of history?
    I suspect most Windows 7 owners haven't upgraded because 8 really doesn't offer any "must have" feature and you've also got the learning curve for MUI to contend with. I myself didn't bother with Vista (because it was an annoying POS) and jumped XP->7 last time, and I'll probably jump 7->9 next time.

Two things - to my thinking - can make 8 more of a success:
    1. Feature upgrades like Blue/8.1 that remove some of the more bone-headed UI decisions that 8 shipped with. As has been said Microsoft's "my way or the highway" attitude has had most deciding to walk out the door. I "support" two Windows8 users (one who migrated from 7, the other from Linux - boo) and they both say that while 8's UI takes some getting used to, after about a month it's comfortable and eminently usable;
    2. Controllers such as LeapMotion and/or the wider availability of decent multitouch-capable monitors. Irrespective of whether I like MUI or not, it's pretty clear that usability with a touch capability is better than that with a conventional mouse. Plus there's something geek-chic about doing those Minority Report style screen swipe gestures!

From my point of view, if those two come to pass - so 8.1 turns out to be a good upgrade and LeapMotion isn't just a fancy fad - then I might be persuaded to move to 8 when I next replace the motherboard/cpu on my gaming rig.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simonpreston View Post
    You're right of course, but I was more referring to machines "as shipped" in the hands of ordinary consumers and even assuming equal hardware with Windows 7 there is far less impetus to upgrade than there would be for an XP/Vista machine.

I've written this on an SSD enhanced and heavily upgraded during it's life Q6600 machine with a 965 chipset, it's more than fast enough for work, only things it really lacks is USB3 (could be added) and it's maybe not as power efficient. It runs Windows 8 of course...

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think it's limping. No one was waiting for 8, like they were 7.

But lets not forget, they have had awful, truly awful hardware out there for the most part. With haswell, that has changed a bit.

Want a superlight laptop, that has 10 hour battery life, but is also really fast? Yup! No problem.

It also has a touch screen mode for the 'tablet grade' user.

These things have only just happened recently, before Christmas for instance there was nothing that would have made you not buy one of the windows 7 stock clearance jobs.

Meanwhile, the march of tablets and mobile phones and such has created a warped demand for proper computers. Many people are now satisfied with a 'toy' rather than a computer. The same brigade who 3 years ago were saying to buy a mackbook air for all your surfing facebook / mumsnet needs, are now saying to buy a tablet.

Microsoft have actually had some sucsess there, outselling the Nexus 10, but ultimately that isn't a good yardstick. It's all about the 7" market. I now own 4 '7 inch' devices, to two normal size tablets and god knows how many laptops. It is soon to be 5 7inchers. They are a great size, so handy, so portable and it helps that they cost well under £200.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • Firejack's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus PRIME X470-Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
      • Memory:
      • TG Dark Pro "8pack Edition"
      • Storage:
      • Crucial 250GB SSD, Sandisk 128GB SSD, Samsung 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire RX VEGA 56 8GB Pulse
      • PSU:
      • SeaSonic Focus Plus 650 Gold
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2719DGF
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 2

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    .....XBox one will run DX11.2 and there are a lot of new features to make things faster.....so I am fully expecting the new console ports (i.e. 99% of releases) to perform better on blue, driving sales to gamers.......
    I don't think gamers are as big an influence on driving Windows OS sales as they once were. Desktop/Laptop sales as declining as Tablets/Smart phones rise to the top. This change is converting many gamers to casual gamers who play simple games on their new device or even a browser based game.

You have to look at the influence Apple/Android and even Linux are having in pulling gamers away from Windows. Windows isn't the only platform for gamers without consoles these days.

In terms of Windows 8. I still feel its limited to the home. Business just doesn't want it. They are happy with Windows 7 and look just as stubborn as the Windows XP days to stick with Windows 7 for as long as possible.

For me personally I'll be moving from Windows 7/8 machines at home to Windows 8.1. However I'll also be adding another Ubuntu machine for a 50/50 Win8.1/Ubuntu 12.04 LTS home network as Windows plays a less important part of my digital life.

Thanks

At the moment w8 is a dog of a OS. Great on phones, lovely on tablets and other smallish touch screen devices but for anything else, at best, a confusing hodge-podge clearly not designed for non-touch screen devices, people with NASs, business use and possibly not for anyone who normally wears long trousers.

w8.1 may bring in significant improvements but as they cannot even get a clock permanently on the metro screen I am not expecting much

Registered+
    Thanks

Windows 8 will struggle because the OEMs haven't quite worked out its a two way relationship.

What never seems to get picked up on is that Windows 8 is a highly versatile operating system. I'm running 8.1 with my big box plugged into the TV and its far and away the best HTPC friendly version of any mainstream OS out there yet it also works as my desktop machine without any reconfiguration.

Windows 8's beauty is that it works across the board, desktop, HTPC, AiO, Hybrids laptop, tablet, etc. Its not an OS for one particular device and if its treated as such it fails.

The OEMs had an opportunity to revitalise the failing PC market with Windows 8, try new things, capture the public's imagination, release a breadth of devices and show how your PC travels with you. Instead they bad mouthed it before release, sold it on old hardware and then complaint when it didn't sell and save the PC industry.

Registered+
    Thanks

Still running 7. I'm so very tempted to try 8.1 but my fear of change has put pay to that for now. I bet I could make it work for me with a little effort though.

I'll have another look if DX11.2 has some must have features.

Thanks

Big fan of Windows 8, 8.1 focusing into Bing and more Skydrive... not a big fan.

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb SP US75 Boot + Fast 4tb SP XS70 + Slow Raid 0 4tb (2tbx2) with 100gb NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

I just wish xp would just die, oddly windows vista is one of my fave os's right now, mostly as you can get licenses off people for nothing as they all want 7 or 8. Lets be honest 7 is vista with lipstick anyway install the services packs and its rock solid.

I really like 8 but will say I think its biggest problem is it doesn't really help you migrate, even I had to google where somethings had gone.

I still have another 8 upgrade license to use but can't decide if I should currently use it on my HTPC with is running 7, in many respects it a no brainer, its more a case of I have put so much energy tweaking so many bits of software and registry settings it would be a shame to start again.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information