Thread: News - Sky AdSmart targets ads at a variety of TV audience segments

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Sky AdSmart targets ads at a variety of TV audience segments

Which advertiser is more interested in you; Iceland or Audi?
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: News - Sky AdSmart targets ads at a variety of TV audience segments

I can't remember the last time I watched the adverts and actually bought something based off whatever advert it was.

And usually thats the time I will make a drink or change channel, even though it seems Sky have managed to align most channels so the adverts all fall at the same time :/

But for the most part these days I check the tv guide for anything I may want to watch and let the box record it then just fast forward through the adverts,
    Jon

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HEXUS article
    Do people mind being targeted by their TV adverts in this way?
    Well, I'd say no I don't object, and Hell yes, I bleeping do object.

Let me explain.

I object to targeting, period. On principle. More specifically, I strongly and vehemently object to ANY commercial organisation, absolutely any at all, collecting ANY data on me that is not strictly required for providing the goods or services I have asked for, or for using it for ANY other process beyond the supply of those goods, and account maintenance.

To me, there is NO justification acceptable to me for Sky knowing enough about me to be able to target me in the first place, in the way that that do.

The "don't object" bit is that I don't care about the actual adverts, because I never, EVER watch TV adverts anyway. I make a point of not doing so. The vast majority of programs I watch are edited to remove adverts before I watch them. That's probably 80%. For about 19% more, we watch on "delay" and just skip the adverts. For the 1% I watch "live" (and that isn't BBC) as soon as adverts come on, I hit "mute" and either go do something (make tea, etc), or spend a few minutes online on a tablet, or just close my eyes and relax. And if I miss the start of the next segment, well, that's what rewind is for.

I have no objection to this Sky scheme, PROVIDED users can opt out. Or better yet, have to opt in but my bet is that that won't happen unless legislation forces it, and as Parliament seems to pay more attention to business that wants to "market" to us regardless of whether we want it or not, I'm not holding my breath waiting for an "opt in" Act.

My position is really very simple.

I don't want targeted ads, period. Moreover, I don't want ANY organisations building or holding that data for marketing purposes. NONE AT ALL. For any purposes.

I don't care what inducements they offer. A few quid back on "reward" cards? Forget it, and retailers .... keep your paltry "bribes". They could multiply their inducements 100-fold, and as far as I'm concerned and they can still shove it firmly where the sun don't shine. Free car? Mine's fine, thanks. Round the World trip (not just a chance of, but a guaranteed trip) .... give it to someone else, and kindly leave me the hell alone.

If some firm cares to induce me with, say, £1bn, I'll take it and accept marketing. Then buy a secluded, secure, private estate, and hire someone to extract the marketing cobblers from my mail and use it to fuel a bonfire, or mulch it for my tomatoes. Short of that, DO NOT profile me. My personal circumstances, and preferences are none of your (<growls at anti-swearing policy>) "dratted" business, so butt the (<another growl>) "bleep" out.

Do I object to targeted ads? Do fish swim? Do MPs refuse to give straight answers to simple questions? Does Superman wear his knickers outside his trousers?

Sprouts are not food Attila the Bun's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Attila the Bun's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VII Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K with H100i cooler
      • Memory:
      • 16GB CORSAIR Vengence 1600
      • Storage:
      • 250 GB Samsung 850 EVO / 256GB Samsung 830 / 1 TB Hitachi Deskstar
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS RADEON 7970 CU II TOP
      • PSU:
      • 650w EVGA Supernova G2
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V359
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro / Win 8(laptop)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Various
      • Internet:
      • 16mb down, 1mb up

I don't know about the rest of you but I reached advert saturation point years ago, it's just so much background blur now.

I find the only time I "see" an advert these days if, like last night's Mercedes ad with the chickens, it's funny...Or...I inadvertently click a link whilst playing a browser game (Hey!...So I'm enthusiastic rather than accurate).

My buying is done based on my research not some actor/CGI recommendation.

For example: As a mental exercise, whilst writing this post, I tried to remember what ads were here on the HEXUS Home page. And I can't! I know there is likely to be an nVidia / AMD GPU ad, possibly both. SCAN show up regularly. The big background ad, no idea.

The point I'm making is there is so much advertising I now blank it almost completely. Those ads which make more than a temporary impression generally do because they have an entertainment value in their own right but even these provide no compulsion to buy.
    Of course I'm perfect you just need to lower your expectations.

Registered+
    Thanks

I haven't owned a TV in years and get all my content On-line at a time of my choosing and without ad's.

Considering the so called data protection act, these companies have alot of personal information to be able to target these adds....i mean i cant even get copies of my bank statements without providing 300 different tasks before im allowed to see my own info, yet BSkyB apparently can find out what stuff your interested by looking at where you live, how much you earn and how many people are in your home...slightly messed up imo.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Namix View Post
    I haven't owned a TV in years and get all my content On-line at a time of my choosing and without ad's.

Considering the so called data protection act, these companies have alot of personal information to be able to target these adds....i mean i cant even get copies of my bank statements without providing 300 different tasks before im allowed to see my own info, yet BSkyB apparently can find out what stuff your interested by looking at where you live, how much you earn and how many people are in your home...slightly messed up imo.
    A lot of it comes from info people voluntarily provide, even if they do so either not knowing they are, or realising what it's used for. For instance, store "reward" cards. Computers can infer a LOT from a large enough data sample of your buying patterns.

I don't know if you use these cards, or perhaps even pay the supermarket bill by debit/credit card? But if you do, they hsve a toe-hold, even if it's just a buying profile attached to that card. Then, at least, if you EVER provide any info that lets them link that card to you by address (maybe mobile phone contract, or insurance, or .... etc) then, job done, they have a buying profile on you.

I use cash. Short of face recognition cameras, they have no "key" to link transactions together, and even then, no easy way to link that face/profile to an identity. Not yet, anyway.

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Namix View Post

The data protection act requires companies to both appropriately safeguard personal data and to not to collect it beyond the requirements of a lawful purpose, in this case advertising is lawful and nearly anything about you can be deemed part of a profile to target ads. However we all have the right to refuse our data to be used for direct marketing (like targeted ads) - thus you should be able to opt-out of Sky's system. If you do opt-out then it could be interpreted that they should delete data held only for that purpose as it is no longer required.

That said they are mainly using multi-purpose account data that is either already fairly public (e.g. electoral register) or what you voluntarily provided them, like viewing habits, DOB, gender or billing address. For example they can use the same database Zoopla use to find out how much your house is worth and then by extension take a guess at your disposable income. There are already companies that collect generalised data about us from public domain sources for advertisers to refer to, they aren't digging your bank statements from the bin or having you tailed by a PI wearing not-even-as-secret-as-old-hidden-cameras Google Glass.

If you don't want targeted ads then you should be able to opt out, if you don't want to be profiled at all then you should decline to use the services. The only alternative to advertising is to pay *much* more subscription fees to cover the shortfall, targeted advertising will probably cost more (more effective) and raise revenues so for the consumer it might help keep subscription fees lower. In short we pay in other ways than money...

It's not really intrusive and personally if I must see ads then I'd rather they were a little bit relevant, I will NEVER shop in Iceland but I might be interested to know Homebase are having a money off weekend...

Registered+
    Thanks

I just frankly don't care, I like others seem to be at the stage where even if i see adverts i don't take them in, they just blur away these days. As for TV i try never to watch anything live anymore and if i do i just pause when the adverts come on a fast forward when im ready to return. I honestly could not mention any item EVER that i purchased because I saw it in an advert.

Thanks
    • roostapro's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor
      • Memory:
      • Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk Solid State Drive 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive | Seagate 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus HD6680 1GBGDDR5
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Overseer RX-I ATX Full Tower Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Logik 22" 1080p
      • Internet:
      • Sky Broadband Unlimited

This won't end well at all.

For example:

a 7-10 Year old kid is watching T.V.

a minor glitch happens in Skys' system that affects the targeted ads.

Because of this "Glitch" the 7-10 Year old will, instead of being shown the usual ads, be shown something sexual due to the glitch and the targeted ad system.

^ That's just 1 example of many many many things that will go wrong for this, and Sky isn't..well...good. (and I'm a Sky User....)

hopefully this is just an early april fools joke.

Thanks
    • BobF64's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-3770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Multiple HDD and SSD drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS DUAL-GTX1060-06G
      • PSU:
      • 750W Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP ZR24w

Hopefully many of those sort of mistakes happen and Sky get banned from using such systems.

Thread Information