Thread: News - Google Glass in several frame designs for prescription lenses

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Google Glass in several frame designs for prescription lenses

New range of spectacles and sunglasses will cost an extra $255 and $150 respectively.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • CampGareth's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ?
      • CPU:
      • Intel core i7 3740QM @ 2.7-4.1GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB corsair/samsung 1600MHz SODIMM
      • Storage:
      • 1x240GB Intel 335 SSD, 1x250GB samsung 5400rpm HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Dual GTX680Ms in sli
      • PSU:
      • 300W brick
      • Case:
      • Clevo P370EM
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Crossover 2720MDP 2560x1440 IPS, Cibox 22" 1680x1050 TN, internal 17.3" 1080p LG matte
      • Internet:
      • Ask4 50/6 fibre

Re: News - Google Glass in several frame designs for prescription lenses

Hurry Google, I'm just about to replace my lenses and maybe frames, I'd just love to end up wearing Glass.

Thanks
    • jnutt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSi X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32gig DDR 3600
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 1tb NVME M.2 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 2070Super
      • PSU:
      • Stock
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master
      • Operating System:
      • Windows10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 32" and 24"
      • Internet:
      • Cable 350mb

I'd like it to be detachable though.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

They need more frame designs for people which require prescription lenses.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Isabelle Olsson, lead Glass designer at Google's secret Google X research lab thought that the new frames will open the device up to a larger audience. "We want as many people as possible to wear it," she added.
    Maybe someone needs to point out the following quote from the article.
    The frames are priced at $224 (£136) each with the sunglasses at $150 (£90), and sold separately to the Google Glass device which costs a bank breaking $1,500 (£900). Remember that Glass is also limited to the Explorer's Program which is invitation only at this time.
    So if you want greater uptake then the price needs to fall (dramatically!) and it needs to be more readily available. That said, I can't see my local Boots Optician being particularly impressed if I give them a set of G-Glass frames and ask them to put lenses in it/them.

I'm really struggling to find a usage for G-Glass that I can do with a far cheaper, and more readily available, smartphone. The only use I can see is for navigation, but the laws against display's in drivers vision might prevent that surely?

Downside is that when I read, or see, some gushing piece of fluff about how G-Glass is "the next big thing", I'm reminded of:

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • CampGareth's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ?
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Dual GTX680Ms in sli
      • PSU:
      • 300W brick
      • Case:
      • Clevo P370EM
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Crossover 2720MDP 2560x1440 IPS, Cibox 22" 1680x1050 TN, internal 17.3" 1080p LG matte
      • Internet:
      • Ask4 50/6 fibre

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Isabelle Olsson, lead Glass designer at Google's secret Google X research lab thought that the new frames will open the device up to a larger audience. "We want as many people as possible to wear it," she added.
    Maybe someone needs to point out the following quote from the article.
    The frames are priced at $224 (£136) each with the sunglasses at $150 (£90), and sold separately to the Google Glass device which costs a bank breaking $1,500 (£900). Remember that Glass is also limited to the Explorer's Program which is invitation only at this time.
    So if you want greater uptake then the price needs to fall (dramatically!) and it needs to be more readily available. That said, I can't see my local Boots Optician being particularly impressed if I give them a set of G-Glass frames and ask them to put lenses in it/them.

I'm really struggling to find a usage for G-Glass that I can do with a far cheaper, and more readily available, smartphone. The only use I can see is for navigation, but the laws against display's in drivers vision might prevent that surely?
    The as many people as possible comment is why some people are getting excited and thinking this might open up to the general public but obviously at a reduced price considering the current price is intended to *ward off* average joe users. What Glass needed were developers, and they can justify the money because they can relatively easily make it back later if they make a nice Glass app.

Opticians are usually happy to put new lenses in old frames, they will of course charge you money for this but it's cheaper than buying new frames. New frames every time is what opticians want you to believe because frames are cheap for them but lenses are relatively expensive, so more profit for them if you buy £200 frames with free lenses instead of £30 lenses alone.

Glass isn't meant to replace smartphones in the same way a DVD player/recorder isn't meant to replace a TV, it's a companion device that enhances the functionality and convenience of a smartphone. Instead of taking your phone out of your pocket to change the track or check the time just ask your Glass.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by CampGareth View Post
    Glass isn't meant to replace smartphones in the same way a DVD player/recorder isn't meant to replace a TV, it's a companion device that enhances the functionality and convenience of a smartphone. Instead of taking your phone out of your pocket to change the track or check the time just ask your Glass.
    Granted, but I've got to seriously question the utility of G-Glass as an add-on. Mainly because, if reports are to be believed, more and more places are "Glass-Free" - usually because of privacy worries. And there's that legal issue about use in cars.

So the only time that it seems you can guarantee you can use it is either walking down the street or at home. In which case, even if it was a fraction of the current price, I'd argue that it's going to be an expensive way to save you having to "endure" the hassle of taking that phone out of your pocket.

Want to change track? My headphones have a "next" and "previous" button. Need to check the time? I've got a watch, (one which doesn't need charged!). I realise that you weren't putting these up as "reasons" to get G-Glass, and I'm sure that there's a "killer app" out there that'll have the well-heeled rushing out to get a pair.

I probably come across as a luddite, but honestly I think these are the mobile phone equivalent of those VR goggles that the pundits assured us that we'd all be using (wrong!).

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • CampGareth's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ?
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Dual GTX680Ms in sli
      • PSU:
      • 300W brick
      • Case:
      • Clevo P370EM
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Ask4 50/6 fibre

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Granted, but I've got to seriously question the utility of G-Glass as an add-on. Mainly because, if reports are to be believed, more and more places are "Glass-Free" - usually because of privacy worries. And there's that legal issue about use in cars.

So the only time that it seems you can guarantee you can use it is either walking down the street or at home. In which case, even if it was a fraction of the current price, I'd argue that it's going to be an expensive way to save you having to "endure" the hassle of taking that phone out of your pocket.

Want to change track? My headphones have a "next" and "previous" button. Need to check the time? I've got a watch, (one which doesn't need charged!). I realise that you weren't putting these up as "reasons" to get G-Glass, and I'm sure that there's a "killer app" out there that'll have the well-heeled rushing out to get a pair.

I probably come across as a luddite, but honestly I think these are the mobile phone equivalent of those VR goggles that the pundits assured us that we'd all be using (wrong!).
    Depending on the price tag it will probably be of questionable value (see Samsung Galaxy Gear vs a Pebble), yes. And yes, there are legal issues galore which is a bit irritating as people have always had cameras especially now they have smartphones so what's the problem (with some places like a cinema). Driving I can't vouch for since I don't do it but presumably getting directions on your Glass would be a great use, no need for a dock stuck to the windscreen or to listen intently to understand the slightly garbled voice instructions coming over your car stereo, certainly while walking it'd beat having to get a phone out at every intersection.

If you can change track nicely on your headphones whatever you're using isn't a stock android device where you only get play/pause, next track and then some call features. Watches are fair enough, I haven't worn one for a few years now but then I'm surrounded by computers.

The point is just that being able to do more things hands free and getting more feedback from your phone is nice, you can read that text without walking into someone, you could bring up cooking instructions instead of having to wash your hands to use a tablet, listen to music without an earphone cord catching on your jeans/jacket pocket, heck I don't know and Google didn't originally know. I'm not saying this stuff justifies Glass absolutely, there are people who don't see the point in a smartphone or a watch or heated seats in your car, but it certainly justifies it to me... assuming it doesn't cost more than £300 or so, maybe £400 if there are some really nice frames with it considering those can cost £200 anyway.

Registered+
    Thanks

Pointless then. Just attach a mic to ya phone and voice activate it.

Thread Information