Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News - Windows 8.1 Update 1 said to boot to desktop by default

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Windows 8.1 Update 1 said to boot to desktop by default

Will Microsoft's new OS default startup behaviour favour Windows desktop users?
    Read more.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Re: News - Windows 8.1 Update 1 said to boot to desktop by default

You mean a supposed desktop OS is going to (sorta) start putting desktop users first? Maybe if that start menu finally arrives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

"The main thing in this build, and that immediately catches the eye, is that, immediately after installing and loading it, we find ourselves on the desktop (Desktop) PC and not on a tiled interface Modern UI (Metro) as it was previously". As noted by The Verge this change goes against the grain of Microsoft's vision for Windows 8 but appeases many mouse and keyboard jockeys.
    I'm going to ask a very obvious question - wouldn't it have been possible for the Windows 8.x startup to check if there was a touch screen present, and if so switch to MUI as default, otherwise give the user the "mouse/trackpad friendly" standard desktop? Wouldn't that have given the best of both worlds?

Still going to stick with '7 for the moment, although a pre-order for '9 is getting more certain.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Registered+
    Thanks

Windows 8 is and always was about Touch screen interaction in my opinion. So as I'm not of that genre as yet, i still think windows 8 was rushed out a bit like Vista. but Microsoft never learned their lesson on that OS did they.

AlexKitch

I use 8.1 and, honestly, it's not all that bad, but I don't disagree that Microsoft made a terrible mistake with how they approached Windows 8(.1).

A simple choice during setup ("Default boot to desktop, or touch?) would have solved almost everything that ended up being terrible about it.

Thanks
    • cheesyboy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabye 970a-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • Athlon X2 270 Cooled by fanless Xigmatek Thor's Hammer
      • Memory:
      • 1x4GB Ballistix Tactical 1600
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX560Ti
      • PSU:
      • 400w Be Quiet Pure Power L8
      • Case:
      • Bitfenix Shinobi Mid-Tower Black/Green
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1

This is kind of a shame, if true - In principle I like the metro; I prefer tiles to icons (single click, potentially more customisation**, live tiles) - I just wish it had been better optimised for a desktop setting.

All the apps seem to be targeted at tablets - Ebay, Facebook, Hotmail, news streams etc. The tile itself is ok (though more customisation of what is shown would be better), but the "app" behind the tile is all but useless.

** Unfortunately, to create your own tile (for a folder, for example), you need a third party program - MS has really pared back any more advanced features on the Metro, which is annoying, why didn't they include tile creation/customisation by default?

I think the Metro could be great if only they had followed through with it and given it the full functionality of the desktop (plus given the option of a more streamlined Applications menu)

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Boot to desktop is the most pathetic of all the complaints against Windows 8. It wasn't really an issue in original 8 given that it required a single click on a large tile after boot (oh no, how arduous - there must have been a huge surge in RSI), the tiny gripe was solved in 8.1 with a minor settings change... I suspect they've decided to just have it on by default, or perhaps depending on machine hardware or licence, it'd probably be useful on by default to users of the VL Enterprise edition or with no hardware touch capability.

The other tweaks deserve being the headline much more as they will actually make a difference, like the improvements to MUI applications for mouse and keyboard users, pinning to taskbar and close buttons will make using MUI apps easier if you spend more time on the desktop. Lets hope they eventually do it like ModernMix built-in and allow them to be run in desktop windows to.

I'd like to see the ability to have a tile area on the desktop, optionally able to be made to stay visible over other windows or occupying the top/side/bottom xx pixels and shrinking the desktop so the potential for alerting from tiles can be fulfilled.

Windows 8/8.1 are really good if you can get used to a few new usage paradigms (you don't *need* to have touch, it works great without), it's good to see Microsoft adding things for easing the transition and enhancing it for mouse/keyboard users further. Windows 7 feels old fashioned to me now, I hated the old start menu and hardly used it because I pinned everything I used regularly to taskbar. I have never understood why anyone considers the old start menu as some pinnacle of launcher excellence, familiar yes but it was crap - quickly cluttered by applications creating random folder trees, fiddly at times and the search was only average.

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

I don't mind windows 8 since boot to desktop was bought in (now I can practically ignore the tiles). Just wish I could solve the weird reboot on shutdown issue since installing the 8.1 update...
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Thanks

Kingpotnoodle: It all depends on what you are using w8/8.1 to do. I run 2 computers with w8/8.1.

One is an HTPC the other is a normal, non touch, desktop.

The desktop runs w8.1, but after the problems with the upgrade, I refused to upgrade the HTPC. On the desktop I would prefer to boot to desktop, on the HTPC I would much prefer to put to the modern/metro screen as that just works better from the sofa.

Hourses for courses

Thanks
    • GeorgeStorm's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77IA-E53
      • CPU:
      • i5 3450
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3 1866mhz C10
      • Storage:
      • 256gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX780
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 450W SFX
      • Case:
      • Parvum mitx
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • U2711 + U2311H

I installed 8.1 (from 7) when I rebuilt my PC, I find it very similar to 7 after I'd made it boot to desktop by default and remembered to not use apps.

I don't really get people who hate it, but I don't consider it a big improvement either.

Thanks

Great now I have to click start to get to my Game shortcuts!Just when you get use to the craziness, they have to change it.

12. Received thanks from:

MrRockliffe (31-01-2014)

Registered+
    Thanks

That's a bit odd as there is already a checkbox with 8.1 to set to to boot to desktop if you want so I see no need to set everyone to boot to desktop after update 1.

Thanks
    • miniyazz's system
      • CPU:
      • Acer Aspire 8920G
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Optoma HD700X projector @ c. 90"
      • Internet:
      • Really, really ****

Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    I hated the old start menu and hardly used it because I pinned everything I used regularly to taskbar. I have never understood why anyone considers the old start menu as some pinnacle of launcher excellence, familiar yes but it was crap - quickly cluttered by applications creating random folder trees, fiddly at times and the search was only average.
    What did you dislike about the Win7 start menu search? I personally find the search far superior to the Win8 search, which for no obvious reason forces categorisation and will only display you the results for "apps" until you click on e.g. "settings", even when there are no app results. It's impractical for me to have every program or settings I use pinned but my regular programs are all pinned and I mostly just use the Start Menu for search, I agree the folders are pretty defunct now. I've not tried any other search solutions to compare, but it always seems effective..

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

The 'search' argument is complete bunk, there's nothing in the screen search that can't be displayed in the menu search.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks
    • Willzzz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte
      • CPU:
      • PSU:
      • FD Newton R3 600W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 350D

Quote Originally Posted by Ksyruz View Post
    Great now I have to click start to get to my Game shortcuts!Just when you get use to the craziness, they have to change it.
    Default doesn't mean you can't change it.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    ....Windows 7 feels old fashioned to me now, I hated the old start menu and hardly used it because I pinned everything I used regularly to taskbar. I have never understood why anyone considers the old start menu as some pinnacle of launcher excellence, familiar yes but it was crap - quickly cluttered by applications creating random folder trees, fiddly at times and the search was only average.
    Well, then, there's the thing. If you don't like it, and didn't use it, you won't miss it, will you?

But I did like it, and more importantly, found it useful.

Why? For a start, nested menus. So I had a Communucations menu, with various comms programs under it, a Graphics menu with Photoshop, CorelDraw, scanner software, etc. I had a Business menu with various business tools, from Office, contact manager, several custom-written (by me) databases, accounts, etc. And several more. Any item was immediately available with 3 or 4 mouse clicks, and muscle memory and years of use meant that, like riding a bike or driving a car, I didn't need to think about it, I just needed something and it .... happened. And then MS decide to dump it, to try to sell phones and tablets.

Also, some of the entries inside those menus would be the same program (like the database engine) with start parameters srldcting either a directory or file to start in, meaning the one program could be started directly into multiple functions, all from the same menu.

Not much gets pinned to my toolbar.

And I've been using this method for years. Since, what, WfWG3-11?

Yet all of a sudden, MS decide they want to try to drive tablet sales by leveraging desktop OS users, so seek to FORCE us to change? Well, nuts to that.

If you don't like menus, and do like MUI or starting from search, I'm happy for you. But I don't intend to change my habits of 20 years or more to suit MS marketing whims.

If MS don't bring back the Start menu, I won't be going back to Windows. Even if they do bring it back, now, I doubt I'll go back, because I no longer trust them. At all. What's to stop them bringing it back, and for W9, or W10, having another go at forcibly dropping it?

What MS have succeeded in doing is to create very considerable ill-will, to varying degrees, by trying to FORCE us to MUI. Of course, ClassicShell, Start8, etc, show just how fatuous that idea was, and give the lie to the notion that it's too hard.

All they had to do, ALL it needed, was an option to disable MUI, boot to desktop and enable start button/menu, and let users choose. But no, they had to try to force us, for their narrow marketing benefit.

No doubt MS won't notice, let alone care what I do, but they've not only ensured I won't be upgrading Windows (or Office, etc), they've ensured I won't buy a Windows tablet or phone either .... not that the latter was very likely anyway. And I might be in a minority, but I'm far from the only one that angry at them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information