Thread: News - Apple iPad 2 to face chop after three years of availability

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Apple iPad 2 to face chop after three years of availability

Also has Jony Ive departed? He disappeared from Apple exec profiles website.
    Read more.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: News - Apple iPad 2 to face chop after three years of availability

This begs the question: will the A5 equipped hardware (iPad 2, iPad Mini and iPhone 4s) get ios8? They probably will, iPad Mini will be less than 2 years old when the next OS is released and iPhone 4s is the current base model. Wouldn't wager on the A5 hardware getting ios9 however.

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Re: News - Apple iPad 2 to face chop after three years of availability

Quote Originally Posted by Scow Captain View Post
    This begs the question: will the A5 equipped hardware (iPad 2, iPad Mini and iPhone 4s) get ios8? They probably will, iPad Mini will be less than 2 years old when the next OS is released and iPhone 4s is the current base model. Wouldn't wager on the A5 hardware getting ios9 however.
    Probably yes but feature limited, the iPad 2 misses quite a few things already. Side effect of rapidly advancing SOCs - quick obsolescence. Just like PCs 10-15 years ago, give it another 10-15 years and I reckon mobile CPUs will probably outstrip OS demands as well.

The other reason to junk the 2 is it being the only one left with the old connector, it will enable Apple to cleanup the store inventories and streamline with no "which version of this accessory do I need" and given that the whole iPad sales approach seems to be aimed at being simple I can see the advantages...

Thread Information