Thread: News - Dell to spearhead laptop wireless charging

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Dell to spearhead laptop wireless charging

Joins the 'Alliance for Wireless Power', becomes first major PC maker to do so.
    Read more.

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media

Re: News - Dell to spearhead laptop wireless charging

With the addition of good wireless display tech this could be a pretty great docking solution, although 35W can't leave much over for charging after a decent sized screen?

Thanks

But how will they do Vendor Lock-in without proprietary charger plugs?

Account closed at user request
    Thanks
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig DDR3 Crucial Rendition 1333 - cheap!
      • Storage:
      • 128 gig Agility 3, 240GB Corsair Force 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg

Quote Originally Posted by herulach View Post
    With the addition of good wireless display tech this could be a pretty great docking solution, although 35W can't leave much over for charging after a decent sized screen?
    My thoughts exactly - if they can get a standardised business grade variant sorted they'll bag a shedoad of corporate buys.

Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media

Quote Originally Posted by edzieba View Post
    But how will they do Vendor Lock-in without proprietary charger plugs?
    It includes a data spec, so you could easily have it work with only one type of charger, however, in theory all a4wp chargers should be compatible.

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Business environments only really, who actually uses a LAPtop on a fixed regular desk at home very often (i.e. not the kitchen table, coffee table etc)? I can see the application for integrating into the likes of train tables or meeting room desks to reduce cable clutter in environments where its a bigger hassle but otherwise I really don't see the benefit over docks and charger cables. Wireless power seems inherently wasteful due to lower efficiency and in the era of rising bills and energy costs as our fossil fuels dwindle I find it rather hard to reconcile the tiny increase in convenience against the higher costs of operation.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

This is the tech I have wanted for over 30 years....and it still annoys me that after more than 5 years since the tech came to fruition it is still so niche it's untrue. I've seen it available for a couple of Blackberry devices and a few other SKUs from various manufacturers but never anything I have owned.

There is the problem of efficiency though. At a time when most of the world are trying to curtail their power usage, we are trying to get a new tech in place that will always "waste" energy.

I would happily spend the time and money buying or retro-fitting power surfaces to my furniture at home if you could buy compatible batteries.........and at the moment that is the biggest stopping point IMO. The price of fitting/repurchasing furniture combined with phone and tablet manufacturers making sealed units now....mobile devices would be the number one target for wireless charging IMO
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    This is the tech I have wanted for over 30 years....and it still annoys me that after more than 5 years since the tech came to fruition it is still so niche it's untrue. I've seen it available for a couple of Blackberry devices and a few other SKUs from various manufacturers but never anything I have owned.

There is the problem of efficiency though. At a time when most of the world are trying to curtail their power usage, we are trying to get a new tech in place that will always "waste" energy.

I would happily spend the time and money buying or retro-fitting power surfaces to my furniture at home if you could buy compatible batteries.........and at the moment that is the biggest stopping point IMO. The price of fitting/repurchasing furniture combined with phone and tablet manufacturers making sealed units now....mobile devices would be the number one target for wireless charging IMO
    For me it's a solution looking for a problem that doesn't really exist, cables are actually in some circumstances preferable... imagine you've just come home, your phone battery is at 5% so you put on the charge pad, 2 mins later it rings - if you pick it up no charge and call time of a few mins left... if you put it on speaker phone then sub-optimal call experience... alternatively if you are charging from a cable then no problem, pick it up, talk and charge. Same situation for laptops, tablets etc., wireless charging currently sucks because the device is even less moveable when charging than it is with a cable.

For fixed appliances there is only a small neatness argument that could be better resolved by installing cable management, for example kitchens could really do with desk style holes and under-counter plugs, how often to do move the toaster that a tricky to reach plug is an issue...

Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post

a lot of new mobiles are already wireless charge capable, but since the charges are pretty niche and USB is nearly ubiquitous its kind of redundant.

Wireless charging doesn't necessarily have to be less efficient than wired, but even assuming say a 10% efficiency loss changing a single bulb to an energy save offsets 30 of these chargers. Its really weird how obsessed everyone is with power consumption recently, your average gaming pc uses less electric than a typical fridge freezer.

Getting energy out of the mains into batteries is a fundamentally inefficient process.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    Business environments only really, who actually uses a LAPtop on a fixed regular desk at home very often (i.e. not the kitchen table, coffee table etc)?
    That would be me. My "office" laptop moves off of it's space on the (works provided) desk about two weeks a year. Likewise, my main machine (also a laptop) lurks on it's pedestal for about the same amount of time. That laptop of mine (not the works one) was the best solution to the knotty problem of accommodating a "PC" with keyboard and screen in a minimal space.

Like you, wireless charging strikes me as something very desirable for low power uses like phones, portable hi-fi and tablets. But for larger gear like laptops ... and even ultrabooks to an extent ... I remain to be convinced that it's anything but an expensive (and unnecessary) gimmick.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Registered+
    Thanks

Honestly, Wireless charging for laptops sounds AMAZING, however a bit disappointing that it doesn't apply to phones aswell because sometimes i wish i could charge my phone when i have lost a charger lol

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    For me it's a solution looking for a problem that doesn't really exist, cables are actually in some circumstances preferable... imagine you've just come home, your phone battery is at 5% so you put on the charge pad, 2 mins later it rings - if you pick it up no charge and call time of a few mins left... if you put it on speaker phone then sub-optimal call experience... alternatively if you are charging from a cable then no problem, pick it up, talk and charge. Same situation for laptops, tablets etc., wireless charging currently sucks because the device is even less moveable when charging than it is with a cable.
    Everyone requirements are different. I come home and throw my phone on the frontroom table, where my tablet is already sat.....having cables reach them is messy and a trip hazard.

For fixed appliances there is only a small neatness argument that could be better resolved by installing cable management, for example kitchens could really do with desk style holes and under-counter plugs, how often to do move the toaster that a tricky to reach plug is an issue...
    Agreed for the most part but then think about water spillages. They will run down into your neat cable management, whereas the wireless power would be perfectly safe and sound.

Quote Originally Posted by herulach View Post
    Wireless charging doesn't necessarily have to be less efficient than wired, but even assuming say a 10% efficiency loss changing a single bulb to an energy save offsets 30 of these chargers. Its really weird how obsessed everyone is with power consumption recently, your average gaming pc uses less electric than a typical fridge freezer.

Getting energy out of the mains into batteries is a fundamentally inefficient process.
    But transferring power from one form to another is lossy, so as far as I understand, it would have to be less efficient......and while it may be as little as 10% (or even less, I am not sure) that can start adding up over multiple devices.....one of the things manufactures have used as an example is lights anywhere you want them....so your already making your energy saver bulbs less energy saving.

I really think a lot of people don't realise how quickly they could adapt to wireless power......and for every one of you who thinks otherwise, there is probably a "other half" who would disagree
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • Devastater6194's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • Kingston HyperX Genesis 16Gb 1600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 Evo 250GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Gtx 680 Lightning SLI
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair Air 540
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PB278Q & Dell U2515H
      • Internet:
      • 40Mbps Fibre

About time we started getting wireless charging. The tech has been around for a while but no-one has pushed for it.

Thanks
    • Apex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87M-PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-4670K
      • Memory:
      • 32 GiB
      • Storage:
      • 20 TiB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PowerColor Radeon RX 6700 Fighter 10GB OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Core View 21
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGFA
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb nTL Cable

So we are finally seeing the 'big guns' get behind tech that Nikola Tesla thought of how many years ago......

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Wireless charging would work in our house quite well. We generally have a collection of devices sat in the kitchen/dining room. One chargin mat on a sideboard would keep both my phones (personal and work) and my wifes topped up (providing she remember3ed to sit it there as opposed to a candom place around the house where she can't find it). Same goes for the cordless house phone, my our kindle e-readers, two of our kids phones, two tablets and probably another two to come this year. No idea how many microUSB chargers are currently plugged in at home, sometimes being used and sometimes not.

The sooner wireless charging becomes as ubiquitus as microUSB the better.

Registered+
    Thanks

I hope this wireless charging systems works more reliable then the intermittent charging process of my Dell inspiron 1525 laptop battery!

Thread Information