Thread: News - Amazon in talks to offer a music streaming service

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Amazon in talks to offer a music streaming service

Making its Amazon Prime Instant Video service more attractive to some.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • KrisWragg's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock X370 Taichi
      • CPU:
      • AMD 1700X @ 3.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 500GB 950 Evo + 500GB 850 Evo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 290 @ 1.1Ghz
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Platinum 660W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell U2713HM
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 78mbit down / 20mbit up

Re: News - Amazon in talks to offer a music streaming service

Already stopped my Prime membership from renewing, decided to give the instant films a trial at home the other night and was not impressed as it didn't work on my linux media PC connected to our TV, also doesn't work on Android tablets only Amazon Fire tablets.

I did eventually get it to work on the Linux machine by installing something called pipelight which allows Windows plugins like Silverlight and Flash to work properly in Linux chrome. But honestly that is a horrible solution when they could have used HTML5 video or something.

Thanks

Already told Amazon I will not be renewing when the price hike happens as it is something I didn't ask for or need.
    I did suggest a two tier system of delivery only and delivery plus streaming and the customer service person said they would pass it up the line for consideration.
    I hope they do offer it as I get loads from them and find the Prime system good value.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Personally, I often teetered on the edge of joining Prime for deliveries – as I have an Amazon Mastercard and save up lots to spend on there. However I'm not very interested in video streaming and even less interested in music streaming so there better be some pretty good promotions coming up if I'm ever to sign up for the new Amazon Prime Instant Video service.
    I've got Prime purely for the fast deliveries ... £40 for unlimited next-days seemed justifiable, especially for all that Christmas shopping. But a doubling in price so I can "experience" a video streaming service that I have no interest in, and now a music streaming system that's of slightly more interest? No sale Amazon.

I know other people "can't live without" the likes of Spotify etc, but I'm old fashioned enough to use the radio (free and freely available) and far prefer to get my music on disk - whether that be CD, DVD or LP.

I think Amazon would be better served to keep these "value add" services as stuff you can opt into. Even take a leaf from the book of the likes of Sky, Talk-Talk, BT, Virgin, etc and offer a rising discount based on the extra services you take.

Unless there's a far cheaper delivery-only option that appears between now and November (my renewal), then I'll definitely be cancelling my Prime membership. To be honest, if Amazon need to increase the price of Prime to cover increased delivery costs, then they'd be better advised to do that, and not bother with all this kind of slight of hand.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

As the article said, I'm not much (at all, in my case) interested in video streaming, and even less in music streaming.

Prime, as it was, was borderline for me. The new version, whether with video, music or both adds £0.00p in value to me. So, it amounts to a £30 price hike for a service of very borderline value to me anyway, as I don't buy that often, and even less where I need next-day. Usually, std-free is fine, even if it takes several days.

So music streaming? Not interested at all.

Thread Information