Thread: Tech Explained - wellbeing in the workplace

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Tech Explained - wellbeing in the workplace

Improving the user experience by using technology.
    Read more.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: Tech Explained - wellbeing in the workplace

Effectively a small camera integrated neatly into the top of the monitor, the ErgoSensor is able to accurately measure the distance between the user's eyes and the screen, as well as detect neck posture or head angle, and time spent in front the display.

Using this data, the monitor is able to present on-screen notifications giving suggestions on how far away from the screen you should sit and advise on improving your posture. By tracking the time spent at the screen, the ErgoSensor is also able to remind users when it's time to take a well-deserved break.
    Really?

So now my monitor is going to nag me about my posture, and tell me when I need a break? Seriously, Phillips?

And this supposedly will "promote wellbeing in the workplace"? Really?

I rather suspect that all it would promote in me is an intense desire to "reprogram" the monitor .... with an axe. Or to defenestrate it.

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Really?

So now my monitor is going to nag me about my posture, and tell me when I need a break? Seriously, Phillips?

And this supposedly will "promote wellbeing in the workplace"? Really?

I rather suspect that all it would promote in me is an intense desire to "reprogram" the monitor .... with an axe. Or to defenestrate it.
    See, personally, I don't think this goes far enough.

It should monitor what you eat, and warn you when you've hit your limit for, say, sugar, or caffeine for the day. After all, you want healthy employees, right? Then it could make suggestions on what you ought to eat for lunch, based on your consumption thus far. For example, "I see you've eaten three doughnuts this morning. Your intake of vitamins is low - could I suggest an apple? Tomorrow, I would recommend reducing your fat intake". It could also monitor your visits to the bathroom, notify you if you're taking too long, and even better, advise when it anticipates your next need. That feature could be extended to interface with your calendar and set up the times that suit you and your body. It should also monitor your habits, and perhaps bring up notifications for people who pick their nose to warn them that it's unpleasant, and that your employer doesn't approve.

It could also check your heart rate and your breathing, and flash up warnings when it sees your stress levels begin to increase. And, of course, to send a note to your manager when your vital signs indicate a state of relaxation. They could perhaps fit in a small electric shock machine, that when it senses such a state, sends a small electrical pulse to the mouse to bring your attention back to your work. This could be applied to the nose-picking feature as well.

4. Received thanks from:

Dareos (07-03-2014)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    See, personally, I don't think this goes far enough.

It should monitor what you eat, and warn you when you've hit your limit for, say, sugar, or caffeine for the day. After all, you want healthy employees, right? Then it could make suggestions on what you ought to eat for lunch, based on your consumption thus far. For example, "I see you've eaten three doughnuts this morning. Your intake of vitamins is low - could I suggest an apple? Tomorrow, I would recommend reducing your fat intake". It could also monitor your visits to the bathroom, notify you if you're taking too long, and even better, advise when it anticipates your next need. That feature could be extended to interface with your calendar and set up the times that suit you and your body. It should also monitor your habits, and perhaps bring up notifications for people who pick their nose to warn them that it's unpleasant, and that your employer doesn't approve.

It could also check your heart rate and your breathing, and flash up warnings when it sees your stress levels begin to increase. And, of course, to send a note to your manager when your vital signs indicate a state of relaxation. They could perhaps fit in a small electric shock machine, that when it senses such a state, sends a small electrical pulse to the mouse to bring your attention back to your work. This could be applied to the nose-picking feature as well.
    If it was any good in bed, maybe I ought to marry it?

Note, for the record, my wife is wonderful, and not in any sense a nag. And, nor am I making any reference, direct or otherwise, to the state of horizontal gymnastics. She'd kill me if I did.

Thanks
    • virtuo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master X570
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 9 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 64Gb G.Skill TridentZ Neo 3600 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent 2TB PCIE4 NVME + NAS upon NAS upon NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX 3090 FE
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2 Grey
      • Operating System:
      • RedStar 3, Ubuntu, Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung CRG90 5140x1440 120hz
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet's best, but still poor, attempt

I'm glad all of these intrusions can be scuppered with some cheap electrical tape.

I didn't appreciate the article title, I was expecting some nice tips and information on workplace ergonomics (since my back and neck are in tatters using my current setup). All I got was some gimmicky advert for a Philips monitor. Things like this should have a [Sponsored] prefix.

And what company will ship these in if they keep telling the staff to go on a break?

Registered+
    Thanks

Nice. A monitor that watches my every move...

Thread Information