Thread: News - Apple retires iPad 2 and puts an "affordable" iPad 4 in its place

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Apple retires iPad 2 and puts an "affordable" iPad 4 in its place

Offers only a 16GB storage option with either Wi-Fi or Wi-Fi + Cellular connectivity.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Chadders87's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (Sata3)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire AMD Radeon 7870 2GB
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 450w (140mm)
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Prodigy
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 21.5'
      • Internet:
      • Sky Unlimited

Re: News - Apple retires iPad 2 and puts an "affordable" iPad 4 in its place

Don't get me wrong, I love tablets. I just fail to see why people actually buy these overpriced devices that restrict usability?

I would have thought even a technology layman would be able to compare an iPad to an android version and see that the ability to add your own SD card and customise the system is a no brainer.

I love apple for bringing smartphones and tablets to the market, but since Jobs is no longer, they have stopped innovating AND need to play catch-up all the time.

Thanks

Totally with you.

Although... I will admit that my nan loves her iPad. I was extremely skeptical when my granddad bought it for her as she's never used computers and has dementia, but turns out it's just simple enough that she can make the most of it and so far *fingers crossed* the only time I've had to 'fix it' is when she accidentally muted the volume.

To be honest, I think all the puzzles and things she's doing now are actually sharpening her back up a bit. She beat me at some puzzley word game the other day anyway!

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media

Quote Originally Posted by Chadders87 View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I love tablets. I just fail to see why people actually buy these overpriced devices that restrict usability?

I would have thought even a technology layman would be able to compare an iPad to an android version and see that the ability to add your own SD card and customise the system is a no brainer.

I love apple for bringing smartphones and tablets to the market, but since Jobs is no longer, they have stopped innovating AND need to play catch-up all the time.
    I think you overestimate the average layman. Maybe the average 20 year old (although you still have to factor in badge appeal) but, although more capable and customisable its a lot easier to balls up as well. We're an entirely android house, but i told my MIL to buy an ipad precisely because its locked down.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

I thought that there was some dongle arrangement available from Apple that would let you plug in extra storage. Might have been some kind of SD card reader.
    That out of the way, I'm in agreement with you - I wouldn't buy a non-budget tablet that didn't have some kind of storage expansion capability. So the likes of the Nexus 7 is a no-go for me - although I did buy a couple of HP Touchpads, (but at the price they were going for I was willing to compromise).
    Contrary to their claims they didn't invent the smartphone nor tablet. Heck, I've got an N95 sitting gathering dust that pre-dates the iPhone(1), (release dates March v's June 2007 if you believe Wikipedia). And, thought it pains me greatly to say this - are ANY of the major smartphone manufacturers innovating these days? Samsung definitely isn't - unless your idea of innovation is a slight size up and add more "value add" bundled software (bloat).
    It will be interesting to see if this new model of the iPhone "for the colourful" shifts some units thanks to its £40 price differential.
    Okay, so this cut equals about 10% discount. What I'm wondering is how the heck Apple feel they can charge so much, when there's "comparable" gear available for a lot less. Taking as one example, I just checked the Google Play store and I can get a 32GB Nexus 5 in red for £210 less than the equivalent 5C. I've got to ask ... is there something about that 5C that I've missed that warrants the price hike? (And if anyone replies and uses the word "magical" then they deserve a thump). Is the iPhone two-hundred quid easier to use? I have my doubts.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

Maybe they don't want to be able to put an SD card in and mess about with the OS? My Mum has an iPad, on which she can do everything she wants to do and because the OS is locked down she can't really break it.

She tried an Android tablet and found it confusing, not as easy to use and a couple of times got it into a right mess when pushing buttons and ticking options.

For her an iPad is absolutely perfect. An Android device is a total non starter.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmm, I've recently updated my HP touchpad to Android -and its OK - certainly getting more use than it did with WebOS since HP stopped supporting it.

Can't really say I'm blown away by it though.

I have also just started using an Apple OSX device, which has given me iCloud - so I am contemplating an iPad mini or iPhone as much to get access to iCloud as for any other app, although there are supporting apps for some product on iPhone that aren't available on the android platform.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Registered+
    Thanks

£429 for an 8GB phone is pathetic

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Hmm, I've recently updated my HP touchpad to Android -and its OK - certainly getting more use than it did with WebOS since HP stopped supporting it.
    Can't really say I'm blown away by it though.
    Yes, the distros on the old Touchpad are ... well, "works in progress" is probably the kindest I can say. Kids got theirs flashed and use them quite happily for videos, games, etc. In fact they replaced the portable DVD player that we usually use on those holiday drives - the major advantage being none of that annoying "but I want to watch this, but she won't let me". There was a lot of talk about some "official" HP Android distro, but that came to naught unfortunately.
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I have also just started using an Apple OSX device, which has given me iCloud - so I am contemplating an iPad mini or iPhone as much to get access to iCloud as for any other app, although there are supporting apps for some product on iPhone that aren't available on the android platform.
    Isn't there any non-Apple equivalents to iCloud? Then at least you'd have some choice.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Yes, the distros on the old Touchpad are ... well, "works in progress" is probably the kindest I can say. Kids got theirs flashed and use them quite happily for videos, games, etc. In fact they replaced the portable DVD player that we usually use on those holiday drives - the major advantage being none of that annoying "but I want to watch this, but she won't let me". There was a lot of talk about some "official" HP Android distro, but that came to naught unfortunately.

Isn't there any non-Apple equivalents to iCloud? Then at least you'd have some choice.
    Cyanagen 9 is OK - and the Touchpad is pretty high spec. It works OK - just can't see anything to rave about - its no better than IOS from a functionality point of view.

There are, but I trust them less than I trust Apple's - and most of the people I want to talk with are on iCloud. There are a few other plus points as well. but whichever one you go with, you are pretty much locked in.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

I'm no Apple fanboy but I'm interested in buying an Ipad after finding it easy to read an A4 pdf document on their retina display.

Thanks

About time. Last night, I was using my niece's iPad 2 and as she was updating some apps on her device and me trying to sync it on my PC. It got real slow.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Top_gun View Post
    I'm no Apple fanboy but I'm interested in buying an Ipad after finding it easy to read an A4 pdf document on their retina display.
    I'm no Asus fanboy, but I actually found it easier to read a doc on one of their Transformer's screens. Actually thought that the Retina iPad looked a bit "harsh" - although that could perhaps have been down to the spotlights that PC World use on their "Apple Experience Zone"

Not saying you're wrong btw, since like keyboards I know that screens are very much a personal preference.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • slipthemonkey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A97 R2.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-8320
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • Corsair 128GB Force Series SSD & 1TB WD Caviar Green HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider Plus
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master N300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • IIyama 27" GE2788HS Black Hawk

I've never had any Apple products so I cannot see the point in me starting now, but that being said if someone has a whole Apple set up I would not advise them to start buying Android as it would be counter productive. If you have Apple, keep buying Apple and it will all work together very nicely. As for me, not going to bother introducing an Apple product into an environment where it will not work as well.

As with most things in life, choose whatever works for you. At least we have a choice of technologies to pick from which in turn should keep the manufacturers more motivated to improve their products and one up the competition. If we only had Android or Apple or Microsoft monopolising the tablet market then they could churn out whatever they wanted and that would be the only option.

Thanks
    • zzzaac's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock Extreme 4 Z77
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 256gb Samsung 830
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire 290X Tri-X OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM1000
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27inch iMac

Its funny though, I recommended Apple for my parents, but they decided on an Android Phone and a nexus tablet. I think some people overestimate the difficulty of android, and underestimate our elder's abilites

In fact, Out of the family, I'm the only one using an apple product.

But I guess different people different needs etc.

Thanks

For Tablet, I prefer iPad myself, its easy to use, don't have to worry about SD card and things like that.

For everything else, there's windows which can handle everything else.

Thread Information