Thread: News - Apple's refreshed 2014 MacBook Air is also £100 cheaper

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Apple's refreshed 2014 MacBook Air is also £100 cheaper

The newer model has a slightly faster processor but there is still no Retina model available.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: News - Apple's refreshed 2014 MacBook Air is also £100 cheaper

The prices are competitive against similar Windows laptops.
    Whats still a rip off is the £150 price difference between a 128GB and 256GB model.
    About time Apple refreshed the Mac Mini though thats unlikely now (if ever) until Broadwell. A barebones Mac Mini would be a good idea.

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Myss_tree View Post
    The prices are competitive against similar Windows laptops.
    Whats still a rip off is the £150 price difference between a 128GB and 256GB model.
    About time Apple refreshed the Mac Mini though thats unlikely now (if ever) until Broadwell. A barebones Mac Mini would be a good idea.
    Yeah, more like £50-£100 would be appropriate on the face of it but I think it's more down to the 128GB model being a mass-basic SKU whilst the 256GB is lower volume and seems to offer more configuration options (well one more, an option to go to 512GB) which probably makes it a bit more expensive to manufacture/ship.

Biggest problem for me though is that for £750+ I expect better screen resolutions for those size screens, 1440x900 on the 11" and 1680x1050 on the 13" at least... never mind retina but just something appropriate for the size.

Thanks

You would be well gutted as well if you had bought the old one in the last month or so. Wonder if Apple give a refund on the price difference?

Thanks
    • walibe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8P67B Pro
      • CPU:
      • iMac 2017
      • Memory:
      • 16 Gig Corsair Vegence
      • Storage:
      • 10 T.B Total
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvida GTX 755M
      • Operating System:
      • Mavericks / Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27"
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Myss_tree View Post
    You would be well gutted as well if you had bought the old one in the last month or so. Wonder if Apple give a refund on the price difference?
    I doubt you'd be that gutted, you will hardly notice the difference. The news here is the price not the small spec bump. These macbook airs are almost being re-positioned as the budget macbooks (by Apple standards) and with suggestions of a completely new air design at around 12" with retina display that will likely position itself higher than the Pros (IMO) its starting to look like we could be due to take another leap in laptop design in the same way we did with the original airs.

Also £644 for a base 11" air in the education store is just incredible for an Apple product.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    Biggest problem for me though is that for £750+ I expect better screen resolutions for those size screens, 1440x900 on the 11" and 1680x1050 on the 13" at least... never mind retina but just something appropriate for the size.
    A lot of people who buy the Airs haven't seen many ultrabooks.

Last year I was travelling with a couple of people, one had a brand new air, I had a 2 year old Series 9 samsung, someone else had a high end sony.

The Air was the heaviest, biggest one of the lot. It also had the smallest screen, the bezel is huge. Plus the keyboard didn't really cut the mustard.

However people have been buying them. I think bringing the Air price down, rather than the spec up is the right thing to do, make it a premium iPad.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thread Information