Thread: News - Microsoft's Cortana interacts with the Internet of Things

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Microsoft's Cortana interacts with the Internet of Things

She turns lights on and off and prints out shopping lists in a YouTube demo video.
    Read more.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: News - Microsoft's Cortana interacts with the Internet of Things

I already have some very advanced technology for turning my lights on and off. Admittedly, it's partly the result of an extensive program of R&D, and a HUGE amount of testing, but I've been using it for, well, ages.

It has been facilitated by other technology parallel that has also improved, but my basic tech I've had for yonks.

What tech? Oh, sorry. I have a V1.0 finger. It's attached to a V1.0 hand, and was developed and tested by a process known as "evolution". The parallel tech is, of course, the "light switch". Some of mine have been upgraded from a basic "on/off", to a sophisticated fully variable albeit analogue process known as "dimmer". Yet others have, ...., wait for it .... timers and even remotes.

The astute among you may have detected a certain underwhelmedness on my part by this IoT demo. My reaction is, so you can do it? Whoop-de-do. Not sure why you want to, though.

Thanks

As much as I love the idea of a 'connected' home, it kind of gets a little extreme when you just use it to 'turn a light on' or make a list.

I can understand the idea of using 'macros' that turn the lights off/down, close curtains, switch the tv channel to the media player etc or even ones that adjust the heating/cooling but in the time it takes to print off a shopping list, I could write it on paper or if my phone is there I could just make myself a note and save the paper... who doesn't go shopping with their phone.

Actually thinking about it.... can't google now/android already do the 'list' thing with ANY printer connected to a pc/wifi/google cloud print. You use voice to 'write' the note, then send it to cloud print or similar....

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    ..... or if my phone is there I could just make myself a note and save the paper... who doesn't go shopping with their phone.

Erm .....

/raises hand.

Mind you, in the smartphone era, mine has an IQ of about 3. But I guess I could stick a v1.0 PostIt note on it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Erm .....

/raises hand.

Mind you, in the smartphone era, mine has an IQ of about 3. But I guess I could stick a v1.0 PostIt note on it.
    well we all know you're a special case

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    ...I can understand the idea of using 'macros' that turn the lights off/down, close curtains, switch the tv channel to the media player etc or even ones that adjust the heating/cooling but in the time it takes to print off a shopping list...
    I see the utility, but this just had me thinking of the uses Quagmire and Barney Stinson would make of it.

Giggity-giggity!

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Appears to have split somehow!

But anyway. http://forums.hexus.net/hexus-news/3...et-things.html

Remember that connecting these things isn't just about pulling out your phone, saying Cortana, Sexy times having the lights dim, barry white come on, and the bed start rotating.

It's about making devices work in harmony together, the sum of the whole can be greater than the some of the parts.

The fact that you can use Corana as an extensible 'aggregator' is cool.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • tribaljet's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel HM65
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-2820QM
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Transcend DDR3-1600
      • Storage:
      • 1TB HGST Travelstar 7K1000
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD 3000 + Nvidia Geforce GT 555M
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro 64bits

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    ...Mind you, in the smartphone era, mine has an IQ of about 3. But I guess I could stick a v1.0 PostIt note on it.
    You forgot to add that not only is it PostIt v1.0 compatible but also holds battery charges that run laps over phones costing significantly more

Registered+
    Thanks

It's not that the battery is impressive, just that the efficiency of the PostIt's CPU is leaps and bounds above the ARM and x86 competitors.

OilSheikh

How long till Apple sue Microsoft for copying their Siri ?

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AnyOldName3 View Post
    It's not that the battery is impressive, just that the efficiency of the PostIt's CPU is leaps and bounds above the ARM and x86 competitors.
    Oh, I dunno. I charge my village-idiot-phone about once a month .... whether it needs it or not.

Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)

Quote Originally Posted by OilSheikh View Post
    How long till Apple sue Microsoft for copying their Siri ?
    Was it Apple that developed the technology to run Siri? I thought that they were using the technology under license as is the case for many of the iPhone and iPad technological features such as their capacitive touchscreens which were developed by HP.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Microsoft acquired a company called TellMe in 2007, it is largely based on their technology that Cortana works. However, they've had their voice technology integrated into the phone since 2010, and in another form in 2008.

The main difference was TellMe would simply search, like an old school google search, showing you links to pages that might contain the awnser, rather than show the result in it's own page. Much like google does today if you search for the weather. Ie search "will it rain today".

They started sort of adding bits of this for search in 2011, Siri was acquired by Apple in 2010, but they didn't release anything like that until summer 2011, when you had to buy the newer version of the phone, because lol, you buy apple kit, you get shafted.

I think the only innovation that was lacking was the ability for the agent to do tasks, such as "remind me in 5 min to wash the dog" or similar bits of NLP with an action that isn't just infomation query.

But as this is the firm that likes to think it owns rounded rectangles on touch screen phones, I doubt any of this matters. I also doubt they would go directly after MS for something as small as this.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thread Information