Thread: News - Broadwell PCs will be on sale in time for Xmas, pledges Intel CEO

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Broadwell PCs will be on sale in time for Xmas, pledges Intel CEO

But he admits its "going to be tough," to ready any such PCs by for the back to school season.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: News - Broadwell PCs will be on sale in time for Xmas, pledges Intel CEO

I hope none of these tech giants accidentally bankrupt themselves over wearable tech.

I get it that it ought to be our future. Nobody wants to be the Magoo who said, "The internet will never catch on" or questioned why there was any need to have a camera in a phone. Sci-fi is often right, and wearable technology is such a big part of those ideas, but that doesn't mean it's inevitable. Glass has proved that we hate computerised eyewear, and maybe one day a Glass contact lens will make people's objections moot, but aside from that I can't imagine anything that works. I have to remember to pick up my smartphone every day, but I'm no more shackled to that than I would be to some item of clothing that I have to clamp onto me every day.

3. Received thanks from:

crossy (19-05-2014)

Registered+
    Thanks

But this xmass broadwell is supposed to have same performance as haswell but use less power, not exactly exciting stuff..

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by Smikis View Post
    But this xmass broadwell is supposed to have same performance as haswell but use less power, not exactly exciting stuff..
    If it was better then this could have triggered an Osbourn Effect. Can't see anyone cancelling orders to wait for Broadwell though, so no damage done eh?

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    If it was better then this could have triggered an Osbourn Effect. Can't see anyone cancelling orders to wait for Broadwell though, so no damage done eh?
    "Osbourn Effect" - what's that? Presumably it's not - as I first thought - the irresistible desire to try out your entire library of invective on viewing a certain Chancellor? Or, (for the comic geeks), riding around on a silver hover board thingy throwing pumpkin bombs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Smikis View Post
    Not exciting ... undoubtedly. But still of interest. Someone (here) once said that "less power = less heat", and less heat means that you need to put in less effort (i.e. spend less) if you want to overclock. And I'd suggest that cheaper overclocking capabilities are exciting. Wasn't there something about Broadwell being easily stable at 4GHz+ with the stock Intel cooler the other day? If true, then colour me interested - be nice to do an "upgrade" from my upclocked PhenomII for Christmas.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    "Osbourn Effect" - what's that? Presumably it's not - as I first thought - the irresistible desire to try out your entire library of invective on viewing a certain Chancellor? Or, (for the comic geeks), riding around on a silver hover board thingy throwing pumpkin bombs?
    Oops, spelt with an 'e' it seems. It is an unintended consequences thing.

Adam Osbourne basically invented the portable computer in the 80's. He let slip that a version 2 of his computer would be cheaper and twice as fast, and everyone stopped buying the version 1. Problem is, version 2 wasn't ready yet so the company got into serious cash flow difficulties. There are probably computer execs in the industry now that are too young to know the story, so it will happen again
    Last edited by DanceswithUnix; 20-05-2014 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Poore Spelin :)

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Adan Osbourne basically invented the portable computer in the 80's. He let slip that a version 2 of his computer would be cheaper and twice as fast, and everyone stopped buying the version 1. Problem is, version 2 wasn't ready yet so the company got into serious cash flow difficulties. There are probably computer execs in the industry now that are too young to know the story, so it will happen again
    Ah, light dawns, thanks for the reminder. Of course, I'm cynical enough to think that a lot of execs will take the view "the sheep will do anything we tell them".

They've got an Osbourne in the 80's tech section of the Museum of Scotland. Trouble is that if you say to the kids that this is a "laptop" they look at you like you're trying to sell 'em Tower Bridge. Still, it gives me a chance to go all Victor Meldrew when they complain that their Inspiron's or Pavilions are too heavy.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • DemonHighwayman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb 2.4Ghz Kingston Beast
      • Storage:
      • 256 Gb Samsung 850 Pro (Main), 4TB Toshiba X300 (games), 2TB External TV/Films HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • KFA2 RTX 2070 EXOC
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster Real Power M700
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 20 VT
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PB278Q
      • Internet:
      • Yes most of the time

If they are looking for inspiration for wearable tech then they just need to go watch some sci-fi. How about Marti McFly's jacket from Back to the Future II ? or Leela's wrist device thing from Futurama ? or Predator's shoulder mounted weapon from Predator ? or Iron man's suit from Iron Man ?

The idea's are out there, they just need to stop thinking about watches !

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by DemonHighwayman View Post
    If they are looking for inspiration for wearable tech then they just need to go watch some sci-fi. How about Marti McFly's jacket from Back to the Future II ? or Leela's wrist device thing from Futurama ? or Predator's shoulder mounted weapon from Predator ? or Iron man's suit from Iron Man ? The idea's are out there, they just need to stop thinking about watches !
    I know where you're coming from on this - problem is that sci-fi tech tends to have some drawbacks - e.g. what would happen to Marty's jacket if he tried to wash it?

Funny you should say this, but there are plenty of wearables out there that aren't watches. Ok, there's Google Glass, but I was also listening to BBC Click (World Service) podcast the other day and they were talking about a Columbian project to produce shoes that can warn the wearer of the presence of mines. Didn't know that Columbia is the second most mined area in the world (#1 is Afghanistan).

What ever happened to all these clothes that could use your movement to generate power - e.g. running pants (americanism) that could be used to top up your ipod.

Then again, Moto 360 watch is the only watch wearable that appeals.

Thanks
    • DemonHighwayman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb 2.4Ghz Kingston Beast
      • Storage:
      • 256 Gb Samsung 850 Pro (Main), 4TB Toshiba X300 (games), 2TB External TV/Films HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • KFA2 RTX 2070 EXOC
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster Real Power M700
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 20 VT
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PB278Q
      • Internet:
      • Yes most of the time

I know where you're coming from on this - problem is that sci-fi tech tends to have some drawbacks - e.g. what would happen to Marty's jacket if he tried to wash it?

Funny you should say this, but there are plenty of wearables out there that aren't watches. Ok, there's Google Glass, but I was also listening to BBC Click (World Service) podcast the other day and they were talking about a Columbian project to produce shoes that can warn the wearer of the presence of mines. Didn't know that Columbia is the second most mined area in the world (#1 is Afghanistan).

What ever happened to all these clothes that could use your movement to generate power - e.g. running pants (americanism) that could be used to top up your ipod.

Then again, Moto 360 watch is the only watch wearable that appeals.
    I like the idea of wearing something that generates power, i've seen a few back packs with solar panels but they need to take advantage of kinetic energy as well to be worth the money... in my opinion, of course actual clothing that did the same thing would be awesome too.

I forgot about Click, i'll have to fire up iPlayer and see what episodes they have on. And now you mentioned shoes that can detect mines it gets me thinking about Leela's wrist thingy again. With a device that size (it takes up at least half her forearm) they could build a small Geiger counter into it, perhaps the tech from the mine shoes could be stuffed in side it, it had a tracking device in the show which would be easy to replicate, it had at least one game on it (tetris), it was used for talking to people.

I would buy one of those wrist things if it was done properly !

Thanks
    • azrael-'s system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Prime X470-Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
      • Memory:
      • 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
      • Storage:
      • 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 12 TB WD HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X-Series 560W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 550D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB271HU
      • Internet:
      • VDSL 55/12 Mbit/s

Adan Osbourne basically invented the portable computer in the 80's. He let slip that a version 2 of his computer would be cheaper and twice as fast, and everyone stopped buying the version 1. Problem is, version 2 wasn't ready yet so the company got into serious cash flow difficulties. There are probably computer execs in the industry now that are too young to know the story, so it will happen again
    Latest victim of the Osbourne Effect was, to my knowledge, Nokia back in 2011. Betting the house and the car and even the dog on the Windows Phone OS without being able to actually produce a phone for the next year or so after that.

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by azrael- View Post
    Latest victim of the Osbourne Effect was, to my knowledge, Nokia back in 2011. Betting the house and the car and even the dog on the Windows Phone OS without being able to actually produce a phone for the next year or so after that.
    Some think that it worked exactly as intended, dropping the value of Nokia ready for Microsoft to buy at a bargain price. Wonder if we will ever find out.

Thanks
    • azrael-'s system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Prime X470-Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
      • Memory:
      • 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
      • Storage:
      • 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 12 TB WD HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X-Series 560W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 550D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB271HU
      • Internet:
      • VDSL 55/12 Mbit/s

Quote Originally Posted by azrael- View Post
    Some think that it worked exactly as intended, dropping the value of Nokia ready for Microsoft to buy at a bargain price. Wonder if we will ever find out.
    You said that. I didn't...

Thread Information