Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News - Sony quits the eReader device market

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Sony quits the eReader device market

The company failed to find a big enough market for its line of eReader devices.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: News - Sony quits the eReader device market

Sony had an e-reader?

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

Sad to see another ereader go. Would be nice to see someone actually compete with Amazon/Kindle but can't see it happening. Anyone interested will already have a kindle so it would be very hard to break into the market and I can't see anyone with enough clout attempting it (except maybe apple but they'd rather sell you an ipad with an LCD screen for 4x the price )
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by cheesemp View Post
    Sad to see another ereader go. Would be nice to see someone actually compete with Amazon/Kindle but can't see it happening.
    Kobo?

Problem with the Sony readers - as I see it - were that they were priced ridiculously and just didn't have the support that you get with Kindle and Nook. Does leave me wondering though what Amazon's reply would be if someone like Sony had said that they wanted to do an ereader that hooked into Amazon's ebook store. After all, it's not as if Amazon is losing out on the "consumable" sales...

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Silicon Power NVME + 2x 4tb Raid 0 (2tbx2) arrays with 250gb Silicon Power NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

We do have a Kobo in the house, didn't even know sony did e-readers.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    Sony had an e-reader?
    Yup, and they're pretty good, too. It was touch and go for me between the Sony and Kindle, for my first. What swung it was mainly that the Sony was dearer, and I just couldn't see what I was getting that justified that. What didn't help was, having been burned by atrocious customer service in the past from Sony, I wasn't exactly motivated to give them preference over an alternative, and convincing offering.

But Sony never seemed to be exactly marketed in the EU, certainly not in the UK. They were available, but never seem to have been pushed. I suspect that, being pretty popular (surprise surprise) in Japan, they thought they could rest on that, and the 'Sony name' and not 'lower' themselves to actual compete with upstart Amazon.

Oops.

All that said, I'm sorry to see them pull out, at least of the non-Japan market. Sorry, but not surprised. The more competition there is, the more honest it'll keep the big players. Now, effectively, we can choose ... Kindle or Kobo. At least, until the next technical innovation comss along and blows things wide open. Again.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    But Sony never seemed to be exactly marketed in the EU, certainly not in the UK. They were available, but never seem to have been pushed.
    They were pushed a bit at first in europe since their first ones predate stuff like kobo or nook and at the time the kindle hadn't even launched in the uk. My first ereader was one of theirs about 18 months before the first international kindles.

The main problem they had back then was that their bookstore only worked in the states and in the uk they were partnered up with waterstones or somebody like that with the net result of book prices and selection being poor and amazon having a far too easy time of it when they eventually launched over there.

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media

Yup, and they're pretty good, too. It was touch and go for me between the Sony and Kindle, for my first. What swung it was mainly that the Sony was dearer, and I just couldn't see what I was getting that justified that. What didn't help was, having been burned by atrocious customer service in the past from Sony, I wasn't exactly motivated to give them preference over an alternative, and convincing offering.

But Sony never seemed to be exactly marketed in the EU, certainly not in the UK. They were available, but never seem to have been pushed. I suspect that, being pretty popular (surprise surprise) in Japan, they thought they could rest on that, and the 'Sony name' and not 'lower' themselves to actual compete with upstart Amazon.

Oops.

All that said, I'm sorry to see them pull out, at least of the non-Japan market. Sorry, but not surprised. The more competition there is, the more honest it'll keep the big players. Now, effectively, we can choose ... Kindle or Kobo. At least, until the next technical innovation comss along and blows things wide open. Again.
    To be honest kobo isn't much competition except on price. The devices don't appear nearly as nice as either of the kindles I've had (mk1 keyboard and gen 2 paperwhite). At least the sonys were nice hardware.

I suspect at this point people are too tied in. In principle I'd get a non kindle device, but it would need to be great, otherwise I'd not be bothered to re-buy all my books.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

No great surprise - they did have some of the best hardware out there but they were always ridiculously expensive with a tiny library of books, and nasty proprietary software that reminded you of the early ATRAC3 madness with their first Mp3 minidisk players.

It's the right move though - e-readers are only a stopgap technology and they will vanish from the shelves in the next 5 years imo. The only reason I own one is that I would worry about leaving my £250 iPad on the beach whilst I go for a swim - but I couldn't care less about a £20 nook. As tablets get cheaper and cheaper, and the screens/battery life improve, I can't see a space for e-readers in the future.

Better to focus their efforts elsewhere and leave Amazon to it..

Account closed at user request
    Thanks
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig DDR3 Crucial Rendition 1333 - cheap!
      • Storage:
      • 128 gig Agility 3, 240GB Corsair Force 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    e-readers are only a stopgap technology and they will vanish from the shelves in the next 5 years imo. The only reason I own one is that I would worry about leaving my £250 iPad on the beach whilst I go for a swim - but I couldn't care less about a £20 nook. As tablets get cheaper and cheaper, and the screens/battery life improve, I can't see a space for e-readers in the future.
    As long as they have e-ink screens and regular tablets don't, they're a separate device to me. Reading outdoors is simply unpleasant without e-ink.

Thanks

Oops.

Hmm, fair enough. Shame they're pulling out but this is very similar to their MP3 players and how little advertising there is for those. Their video and standard clip on music players have fantastic sound quality and clarity and extremely comparable to Apple equipment, which as much as I don't like their whole economic structure, which I would quite happily state is the best in my opinion. Sony are shaving more and more pieces of itself off it looks like, I wonder how long it will be till we're just left with the PS4?

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    As long as they have e-ink screens and regular tablets don't, they're a separate device to me. Reading outdoors is simply unpleasant without e-ink.
    Supposedly Pixel Qi solved that years ago, though I have yet to see one of their displays in action. They claim to have sold 3 million displays, which isn't many really. That's about a week's worth of output from Samsung isn't it? Super low power and readable in direct sunlight, if it works why are these things not everywhere? OK it sounds like one of these displays would give you weeks of battery rather than months that I get with the Nook, but I think I could live with that.

Thanks
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Supposedly Pixel Qi solved that years ago, though I have yet to see one of their displays in action. They claim to have sold 3 million displays, which isn't many really. That's about a week's worth of output from Samsung isn't it? Super low power and readable in direct sunlight, if it works why are these things not everywhere? OK it sounds like one of these displays would give you weeks of battery rather than months that I get with the Nook, but I think I could live with that.
    Yeah - I did consider getting a Pixel Qi screen for my netbook, but they were only available at crazy money from a US ebay seller.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    Absolutely agree.

For me, for proper reading, it's e-reader or printed book. Currently.

If, repeat IF they come up with a high quality colour screen that has the non-transmissive aspects of e-ink, then maybe a tablet with that would make a decent e-reader. But until then, for me, an e-reader is close to essential and a tablet is a luxury convenience that I could do without. If I could only have one, it'd be the e-reader. And, even in monochrome, if Kindles could do a half-competent job of browsing the net, I probably wouldn't bother with a tablet.

Thanks
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg

Quote Originally Posted by herulach View Post
    To be honest kobo isn't much competition except on price. The devices don't appear nearly as nice as either of the kindles I've had (mk1 keyboard and gen 2 paperwhite). At least the sonys were nice hardware.

I suspect at this point people are too tied in. In principle I'd get a non kindle device, but it would need to be great, otherwise I'd not be bothered to re-buy all my books.
    I got a Kobo Aura HD mainly because I could physically try one in a WH Smiths before buying - I couldn't with the competition (Kindle Paperwhite) so non-starter. Secondary consideration is I can sideload epubs without having to faff about too much. Managing epub files with Calibre is a doddle although obviously not the official route. Converting between formats should be possible although Amazon DRM might be a pain - not tried. Kobo store via Rokutan isn't too bad - much better than it used to be at least.

Plus I can use it with my local library although range isn't stunning.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post

It's the right move though - e-readers are only a stopgap technology and they will vanish from the shelves in the next 5 years imo. The only reason I own one is that I would worry about leaving my £250 iPad on the beach whilst I go for a swim - but I couldn't care less about a £20 nook. As tablets get cheaper and cheaper, and the screens/battery life improve, I can't see a space for e-readers in the future.

Better to focus their efforts elsewhere and leave Amazon to it..
    Well, maybe, when a tablet battery will last 30 days or more, like my Kindle. But as other have said, they are separate devices for different purposes. A Kindle is optimised for displaying static images, in normal light using e-ink. E-ink's response time is too slow for displaying video files, but thats not what its for. A tablet can display static images, but the battery life - dictated by the back light and to some extent, processor power, is a limiting factor when there is no mains power readily available.

As for the choice, it is as much about supporting infrastructure, and that is where the Amazon/Kindle combination does well. I can buy a book pretty much anywhere and get it delivered wirelessly (Cell or wi-fi) without any additional cost, and I can download my own documents over wifi, or via cell for a nominal charge. But it really is seamless.

That isn't to say that a similar service couldn't be provided with a tablet, but 3G tablets carry a premium in terms of cost, and require a personal Cellphone provider contract - with Kindle that is embedded.

Things may change in future as others try to compete, but Sony seem to have given up on that particular product range.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information