Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News - Google Nexus 6 pre-orders sell out in minutes

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Google Nexus 6 pre-orders sell out in minutes

The device sold out in under 2 minutes and is now "out of inventory".
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: News - Google Nexus 6 pre-orders sell out in minutes

One of the first Android 5 devices doesn't support the ARMv8 instruction set. It is also the most expensive Nexus "phone".

Well at least they haven't spoiled the user experience by including an SD slot or a removable battery. One and Ara users on the other hand will have endure this torture!

And this device will sell extremely well. It seems Google has achieved that Apple appeal aura thingy...

Thanks

It could always be marketing. Create a shortage (during the pre-order phase), then keep releasing in small batches that keep selling out = free publicity.. there could still be additional pre-order batches to come. Not that I think Google has played that card deliberately in the past, but these days, it is only really a shortage when you can't buy one *after* the supposed release date.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by semo View Post
    Well shame[at least] they haven't improved [spoiled] the user experience by including an SD slot or a removable battery. One and Ara users on the other hand will have the benefit of these features [endure this torture!]
    There - fixed that for you. Replaceable battery and user-upgradable memory a "spoiler"? Don't think so, don't fall for the Apple brainwashing that "here's your device, if you want something a little better then pay a lot more".

Speaking of Apple, I'm not happy to see Google following their game plan and (apparently) not producing enough units so we can "benefit" from the invariable "Entire stock sells in one week/day/hour" PR b.s.

Is it just me or is there not the same "buzz" around the Nexus6 that there was around the 4 and 5? I remember the launches of those being pretty well/exhaustively covered by the various media, but the '6 launch has been comparatively low-key. For example, I'm not seeing a flood of folks in forums and social media saying that the '6 is a must have for them.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Well shame[at least] they haven't improved [spoiled] the user experience by including an SD slot or a removable battery. One and Ara users on the other hand will have the benefit of these features [endure this torture!]
    There - fixed that for you. Replaceable battery and user-upgradable memory a "spoiler"? Don't think so, don't fall for the Apple brainwashing that "here's your device, if you want something a little better then pay a lot more".

Speaking of Apple, I'm not happy to see Google following their game plan and (apparently) not producing enough units so we can "benefit" from the invariable "Entire stock sells in one week/day/hour" PR b.s.

Is it just me or is there not the same "buzz" around the Nexus6 that there was around the 4 and 5? I remember the launches of those being pretty well/exhaustively covered by the various media, but the '6 launch has been comparatively low-key. For example, I'm not seeing a flood of folks in forums and social media saying that the '6 is a must have for them.
    For one, i really don't see a benefit to a replaceable battery, since it still requires you to shut the phone off to do so. For my Galaxy S3, i had like 2 spare batteries, and not once did i ever use one of them, nor did i ever even have them WITH ME when i went away just in case my battery died. Expandable storage is OK.... but not necessary. If you need extra storage, they always have USB OTG flash drives that are incredibly tiny.

and... i'm sorry.... but what "buzz" was there around the Nexus 5, or 4 for that matter? I don't remember ever seeing any more for those than i did for the Nexus 6. It was usually all the same... different tech review sites doing Hands-On demo's of the device, and that was about it. Don't remember anything more than that for either device. Hell, at least now Android has a TV spot... which in itself is a first EVER.

Thanks

User removable batteries encourage 3rd party development and so eventually you will see higher capacity or cheaper batteries. It is important for people like me who keep phones for many years or want to sell them after some time. I still haven't found an original replacement battery for the Moto G even though it looks like an easy thing to replace.

There are many pros to user removable batteries. The cons are neglegable

And finally, batteries are CONSUMABLES like tyres on a car or fridge water filters. Sealing a consumable part is just moronic!

Pseudo-Mad Scientist Whiternoise's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Whiternoise's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI LANPARTY JR P45-T2RS
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 5.6TB Total
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD4780
      • PSU:
      • 425W Modu82+ Enermax
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08b
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 23" IPS
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbps Fibre Line

Too expensive for me. I was hoping for a cheap upgrade, but now it's looking more like a Nexus 5 would be better assuming the price drops...

I think you may have missed the sarcasm.

Super Nerd
    Thanks

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic rather than serious...

Many phones which aren't obviously user replaceable are actually quite easy to service, the Nexus 5 being one. I would wait for the ifixit tear down before criticising too hard.

Removable storage is good and all, good to have some phones with and some without - you know for choice. An SD slot is just another source of dust ingress and battery drain if you don't use it.

AlexKitch

Regarding removable storage and batteries, I suppose it depends entirely on how you use your phone. Personally, I've never found any use whatsoever for removable storage on phones - but that's just because I don't generally like to store things on my phone. If I take photos, I copy them to a file server and remove them from my phone.

I did find it useful to be able to swap batteries on my S3, but I probably would never have needed to.. had the battery not been so absolutely terrible in the first place.

It's not actually all that difficult to swap out the battery on an iPhone, it's just two screws. I used to do it with my iPhone 4. It's not ideal, but it does work .

Registered+
    Thanks

I got the impression that semo's comments were, you know, sarcasm?

Thanks

Food for thought, perhaps the more the market matures, the more the buzz surrounding smartphones release in general will become muted? I think that at some point, smartphone release will have as much buzz as a new laptop release. That is to say, some enthusiasts looking to buy a new product might be looking forward to a new product, perhaps going as far as pre-ordering it. But there will be no more queuing around the block, no more claims that the device will change the world, and by and large not a whole load to separate each product other than the ecosystem.

Removable battery and SD card is pretty much a must for me.. though I might consider a phone without a removable battery provided that the included battery is at least twice industry average and the phone is highly water resistant.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by ElementalDragon View Post
    For one, i really don't see a benefit to a replaceable battery, since it still requires you to shut the phone off to do so. For my Galaxy S3, i had like 2 spare batteries, and not once did i ever use one of them, nor did i ever even have them WITH ME when i went away just in case my battery died. Expandable storage is OK.... but not necessary. If you need extra storage, they always have USB OTG flash drives that are incredibly tiny.
    As noted elsewhere, a user replaceable battery allows you to replace it either when it expires or with a 3rd party larger model. That's way different to whipping out a screwdriver/spudger for an iPhone because replacing a Galaxy S3's battery with another Samsung one doesn't screw up your warranty, spudgering an iPhone to replace the battery definitely does.

OTG drives, like the Sandisk Micro Dual I bought last week, are a good idea but unfortunately support for them is very patchy. E.g. HTC One S doesn't support it. Plus it can look a wee bitty "Heath Robinson" hanging off the bottom of the phone.

Where the microSD scores for me is that you can get pretty large cards quite cheap these days, so if I'm travelling then I've got space for a goodly number of photos, along with a reasonable music and/or video collection to entertain while waiting at the airport. The usual rejoinder is "oh just use cloud services" but that assumes that you've got a good size data allowance and, more importantly data coverage. The latter is not something you can assume while travelling.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElementalDragon View Post
    and... i'm sorry.... but what "buzz" was there around the Nexus 5, or 4 for that matter? I don't remember ever seeing any more for those than i did for the Nexus 6. It was usually all the same... different tech review sites doing Hands-On demo's of the device, and that was about it. Don't remember anything more than that for either device. Hell, at least now Android has a TV spot... which in itself is a first EVER.
    Erm, there was quite a lot of talk about the Nexus 4 pre-launch, and a good deal after too. Then there were user discussions along the lines of "should I get a Nexus 4 or a Galaxy S4". I'm not seeing that kind of level of interest about the latest Nexus.
    User removable batteries encourage 3rd party development and so eventually you will see higher capacity or cheaper batteries. It is important for people like me who keep phones for many years or want to sell them after some time. I still haven't found an original replacement battery for the Moto G even though it looks like an easy thing to replace. There are many pros to user removable batteries. The cons are neglegable. And finally, batteries are CONSUMABLES like tyres on a car or fridge water filters. Sealing a consumable part is just moronic!
    Sorry semo, my sarcasm filter was rebooting when I read post #2 and I thought you - like the Apple fan I was afflicted with at the time - were being deadly serious.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Registered+
    Thanks
    • lelouchvi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 5830K 4.2Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Axeir 32Gb
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 950 Pro
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 290X
      • PSU:
      • Ax760
      • Case:
      • Enthoo Luxe
      • Operating System:
      • Window 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Mx299
      • Internet:
      • BT

Do they tell us how many are sold? they might just have low numbers at stock to keep the demand up? marketing XDDD

Thanks

I want to buy one~ but compared with Nexus, I want to buy the smart watch more. The price now is a little high and I'll wait for the price down to my expectation.

Thanks
    • Jowsey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock H81M-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon E3-1230V3
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Crucial MX100 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 770 DCUII 2GB
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNova GS 550 watt
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Evolv ITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100Mb

Wow, everyone's a cynic, maybe they genuinely sold out of the first pre-order batch and the first batch was the phones they think they are going to have physically read at launch .

Also, maybe they are only letting 75% of the stock to be pre-ordered to leave a safety buffer in case of a problem, that way it would save pre-order customers from a delay?

Maybe I'm an optimist

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Now that they have got rid of their mini tablets at 3x a tablet price (seriously the margins must be insane!), think they will announce a new nexus PHONE?

Clearly not but I am kind of surprised they sold that many...its an odd device that doesn't fit into the phone or tablet category (or pocket) and is very expensive. crazy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information