Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Android Lollipop starts to roll out

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Android Lollipop starts to roll out

Google says that design is the major focus for Lollipop.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Android Lollipop starts to roll out

I am looking forward to Lollipop but guess it won't be that quick on my Note 3

Not blaming Samsung this time, but 3...
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks

Got my Nexus 5 and 10 devices ready and waiting....

Thanks

Waits patiently for Motorola to release it for my Moto G.... although arguably I've got one of the most important features already, the battery saver feature is a copy of what's on my phone already (and it works really well).

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Lollipop implements Google's material design into the Android OS UI. The 'flatter' looking design language is said to bring content to the fore and "uses tactile surfaces, bold graphic design, and fluid motion to create beautiful, intuitive experiences".
    Is it just me, or does it look like Google (and Apple - before I get accused of being an iFan) are following the trend started by Windows Phone 8? Not that I'm necessarily complaining, especially if the flatter look also means that it's simpler, and therefore quicker, to render.
    Those lucky enough to get the update released for their device should also experience a "faster, smoother and more powerful computing experience," thanks to an entirely new Android runtime which compacts background tasks for smoother multitasking. 64-bit device support has arrived in the OS and 64-bit native apps now include Chrome, Gmail, Calendar, Google Play Music.

Are you looking forward to receiving an Android Lollipop update for your device?
    I've got mixed opinions on Android L. I very much like the idea of faster performance and smoother multitasking. What I'm less happy about is that experts (like Chainfire) are saying that it's going to be VERY difficult to root and therefore gain full control of your device.

My LG G3 is supposed to get L before the end of the year (my phone is SIM free so I don't have to wait for Voda, O2, et al to "bless" the upgrade), and I'm seeing design changes on some apps already, which I'm assuming are L-style. If these new apps are being L styled then I must admit to liking the new look.

Oh, and like LSG501's Moto G, my G3 already has pretty aggressive battery optimisation (because it has to on the large-screened G3), so I'd welcome seeing any further improvement, if possible.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Registered+
    Thanks
    • TotesTurtle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P8Z77-V PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3570k @ 4.4Ghz 1.22v
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz CL9
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 + HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 670 DCUII
      • PSU:
      • Bequiet! Straight Power E9 580W
      • Case:
      • NZXT Phantom
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8.1

I'm still running 4.2.2 on my htc, have kitkat on my tab 2 and honestly don't see a difference :/

HSK
    Thanks
    • HSK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87-Pro Socket 1150 DVI HDMI DisplayPort 8-channel Audio ATX Motherboard
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 4770K 3.50GHz Socket 1150 8MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LP Memory CML16GX3M2A1600C9 16GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Seagate 2TB BARRACUDA 3.5" SATA-III Hard Drive - 7200RPM 64MB Cache X 2 + Samsung 256GB 840 Pro SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Point Of View 8800GTS 512mb PCIE DVI
      • PSU:
      • Corsair Professional AX860 Fully Modular 80 PLUS Platinum 860W PSU
      • Case:
      • Corsair Graphite 600T Mesh Black Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 69cm (27")
      • Internet:
      • Plus.net

Think we'll be waiting a while still. Tweet from the Google Nexus account:-

Hi there, the Nexus 5 will be receiving the Android 5.0 Lollipop update via over-the-air and should be in the coming weeks.
    https://twitter.com/googlenexus/stat...30738467557377

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Is it just me, or does it look like Google (and Apple - before I get accused of being an iFan) are following the trend started by Windows Phone 8? Not that I'm necessarily complaining, especially if the flatter look also means that it's simpler, and therefore quicker, to render.
    yes and no, they're taking elements of windows flat design but not going quite as heavy as ms did, apple and google have both used 'layers' (opacity in apple's case and the 'moving over parts' in android) in their design more than ms did so you could say it's a mix of old and new flat design.

I've got mixed opinions on Android L. I very much like the idea of faster performance and smoother multitasking. What I'm less happy about is that experts (like Chainfire) are saying that it's going to be VERY difficult to root and therefore gain full control of your device.
    I haven't 'rooted' a device since my hp touchpad (wanted android lol), it's increasingly becoming less necessary (if you chose the right manufacturer) now that updates seem to be more forthcoming, that's usually the main reason for needing root although I can understand it to a point with apps like cerberus but in day to day use it's not so needed now in my opinion.

My LG G3 is supposed to get L before the end of the year (my phone is SIM free so I don't have to wait for Voda, O2, et al to "bless" the upgrade), and I'm seeing design changes on some apps already, which I'm assuming are L-style. If these new apps are being L styled then I must admit to liking the new look.

Oh, and like LSG501's Moto G, my G3 already has pretty aggressive battery optimisation (because it has to on the large-screened G3), so I'd welcome seeing any further improvement, if possible.
    I'm not sure exactly how LG's done their aggressive optimisations on the g3 but the moto g (and others) literally already has the battery optimisation feature you'll be gaining in android L. It does work well too, it easily doubles the battery life in my experience although I only have mine set to activate on low battery. Google have 'borrowed' a lot of motorola's 'add on' apps and made them part of android L (battery saver and low power notifications on homescreen off the top of my head) and even a couple of LG's (double tap to unlock) on devices which support them. It's kind of like they used Motorola as a guinea pig for new features to gauge user interest/opinion.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

I will watch my Moto G LTE for updates then.

Shame about the Hudl.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    I haven't 'rooted' a device since my hp touchpad (wanted android lol), it's increasingly becoming less necessary (if you chose the right manufacturer) now that updates seem to be more forthcoming, that's usually the main reason for needing root although I can understand it to a point with apps like cerberus but in day to day use it's not so needed now in my opinion.
    I agree with a lot of what you're saying - for Joe Public root isn't needed. But if you've got certain utilities - like Titanium Backup and/or Automate Pro - then you have to have root. Being a bit hissy about it, I'm actually pretty annoyed by the increasing restrictions that Google are putting on. First the SD card write in Kitkat and now the rooting issue in Lollipop. I'm all in favour of increased security, but Google have failed to add controls in there for folks that know what they're doing and/or are willing to accept the risks.

Thanks for the info on the design strategy though.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

I'm actually pretty annoyed by the increasing restrictions that Google are putting on. First the SD card write in Kitkat and now the rooting issue in Lollipop. I'm all in favour of increased security, but Google have failed to add controls in there for folks that know what they're doing and/or are willing to accept the risks.
    I'm actually getting annoyed with google's restrictions too. Not so much at the root but things like removing google calendar sync for outlook unless you're a business user who pays for google docs etc. I'm like why would I need google docs, let alone pay for it, when I have outlook, which is usually part of office (and we all have free ms office online anyway). Unfortunately they're all at it and it's all down to the fight for 'cloud computing' and who we're going to rent our programs from.... I'll pick MS over google and apple thanks

At least there's a workaround using office and hotmail connector (for now), if I set a 'hotmail' account as default (first account added is easiest way) it then uses hotmail for my calendar/contacts so it can be added to google calendar via that. It's a bit of a rigmarole but it does at least mean windows 8 is synced up too.

Thanks
    • miniyazz's system
      • CPU:
      • Acer Aspire 8920G
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Optoma HD700X projector @ c. 90"
      • Internet:
      • Really, really ****

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    Perhaps not for many, but for people like myself - here's a quick (non-exhaustive) list of things I do with my Note 2 that I couldn't without rooting:
    • Adjust DPI so more app content is visible (e.g. more email text/pictures visible) since default DPI is too large for those of us with good vision
    • Disable battery full notification (OK this is Samsung bloatware)
    • Enable call recording - so not just the companies I call can keep a record of the conversation. Works without forcing you to use the speakerphone hack
    • Allows Tasker to do numerous things including adjusting my notification LED colour depending on charge status
    • NFC lock screen - manageable without root but horribly ugly, this way it's transparent (uses the default lock screen but also silently listens for the right NFC tag to unlock)
    • Display network usage (speed in KB/s) in the status bar
    • Show the time received SMS's were sent in the details section (sometimes a lengthy delay between sending and receiving)
    • Per-app permissions setting (e.g. my Dialler doesn't need to have access to the internet so I don't allow it access - reduces a chance of any rogue apps stealing data, means I don't have to be so selective about what apps I install)
    • Titanium Backup - goes without saying
    • Cerberus - likewise

I'm sure there's other things too I've forgotten about. I'll not be moving from root any time soon!

ZaO

*Cough* Ubuntu mobile *cough*

Thanks
    • Pleiades's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z-97 Gaming 5
      • CPU:
      • 4690K @ 4GHz / Phanteks TC-12DX
      • Memory:
      • 16 GiB HyperX
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk 480GiB; Transcend M.2 256GiB; Velociraptor 300GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GiB
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Straight Power 800w
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster HAF932
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 31.5" WQHD 144Hz; Samsung 49" 9500 HDR UHD TV
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100 Mibs

Hate the trend towards 'flatter 'interfaces & all bold primary colours like a child's play book.

Aero was beautiful in comparison.
    ------------------

Valar Morghulis

Thanks
    • mtyson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-B85M-HD3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 4790T
      • Memory:
      • 12GB
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk 128GB SSD + Kingston 500GB SSD + NAS etc
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Nitro+
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 430W
      • Case:
      • Zalman Z9 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 31.5-inch VA QHD monitor
      • Internet:
      • 100MB Virgin fibre

According to Android Police the Lollipop update "Makes SD cards great again, Extends API To Allow Full Directory Access, Automatic MediaStore, And Improves Security".

16. Received thanks from:

crossy (06-11-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pleiades View Post
    Hate the trend towards 'flatter 'interfaces & all bold primary colours like a child's play book.

Aero was beautiful in comparison.
    exactly how I feel about windows 8.1 and 10. After trying windows 8 (currently got Windows 10 preview on a virtual machine), Windows 7 feels fresher and just nicer!

I will wait and see what happens with my Nexus 7, strangely I have more faith in Google doing a good job than I do Microsoft!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information