Thread: Microsoft reportedly hosting a Windows 10 event in January

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Microsoft reportedly hosting a Windows 10 event in January

The firm is expected to unveil new consumer and mobile Windows features at the event.
    Read more.

Facts are sacred
    Thanks
    • RobbieRoy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VII Ranger
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengance Pro Ultimate
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 128GB Samsung Evo pro SSD, 1 x 500GB Hitatchi HDD, 2 x 2Tb WD Green in Raid 1 Config.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX R9 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CS750M
      • Case:
      • Home made wooden desk
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 TP
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB2488HSU-B1
      • Internet:
      • BT

Re: Microsoft reportedly hosting a Windows 10 event in January

My most recent observation from using Win 10 TP is that the opening splash screen from boot, prior to log on, has a little icon saying my battery is flat - strange as it's running on a desktop! Obviously they need to make sure the system can properly recognise the device its working on if its going to work across all devices.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

It'll be interesting to get a clearer view of what MS see as the way out of the W8 MUI backlash. Will they, this time, take on board what lots of users have been clearly saying, or will they try (again) to put one over us, like they did with the 'return of the Start button'?

For me, as will be no surprise to anyone that knows me, the answer to that is a pre-requisite to ANY other Win10 issues. If they haven't adequately dealt with that, I'm not at all interested in what else Win10 does, or how it does it.

And the Consumer Preview will hopefully throw light on that, though not a definite light as it could still change.

If MS don't deal with it, to my satisfaction, then I'll keep existing Win7 machines on Win 7, even if it means having no internet conection at all on them, and use purely Linux/ Android for any net-connected machines/devices.

Win10 is make/break time for me with my (30 year) relationship with Windows.

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb SP US75 Boot + Fast 4tb SP XS70 + Slow Raid 0 4tb (2tbx2) with 100gb NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

I quite like the full screen fully customisable start menu of 8.1 would be a shame to go backwards just for those who are thinking backwards. Hopefully 10 will just give more options for those who like to go backs to indeed go backwards.

But hey just put some lipstick on 8.1 and people will say its the second coming, it worked for Vista SP3... I mean 7.

Thanks
    • RT-XD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • HM77??
      • CPU:
      • i7 3740QM
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb 1600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb Sandisk Ultra Plus, 500Gb Hitachi 7200rpm + 32Gb SSD mSATA cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 680m
      • PSU:
      • A battery
      • Case:
      • M17xR4 case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Laptop Monitor + BenQ 21" 1080p Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Percy1983 View Post
    But hey just put some lipstick on 8.1 and people will say its the second coming, it worked for Vista SP3... I mean 7.
    My thoughts exactly

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Percy1983 View Post
    I quite like the full screen fully customisable start menu of 8.1 would be a shame to go backwards just for those who are thinking backwards. Hopefully 10 will just give more options for those who like to go backs to indeed go backwards.

If it gives ME the option to use MUI or not, fine. I won't, by the way, because I detest it, and certainly don't agree it's 'forward' just because it's new. But I expect to be making the choice, not having MS decide for me.

I don't want to stop you using full-screen if you like it. Since Win8 first arrived, I've consistently said all it needs is to have a configuration option to allow the user to choose, and the backlash would disappear.

But also, as I've often said, I no longer much care what MS do. If they serve up a product I want, fine. I'll consider it. If they don't, then that's fine too. I can do everything I want either by keeping Win 7, or by Linux. I've bitten the bullet, done the learning curve and testing, and can survive, quite happily, as a zone entirely free of MS new products. There's a surprisingly good world out there without Windows at all.

Thread Information