Thread: Apple iPad sales expected to dip for the first full year since launch

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Apple iPad sales expected to dip for the first full year since launch

The sales decline is partly due to larger-screen phones including the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Apple iPad sales expected to dip for the first full year since launch

I'd chalk it up to lack of progression in tablet operating systems, if they had real multi-tasking and didn't feel like glorified phones they'd probably appeal to me more, but the way things are at the moment I'd rather use a Windows tablet (even RT) over Android or iOS

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CustardInc View Post
    I'd chalk it up to lack of progression in tablet operating systems, if they had real multi-tasking and didn't feel like glorified phones they'd probably appeal to me more, but the way things are at the moment I'd rather use a Windows tablet (even RT) over Android or iOS
    http://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202070

But I take your point, if by 'real' you mean multi-screen

so this might be an interesting development

http://www.cultofmac.com/279285/ive-...ng-ipad-sucks/

But how useful is multi-screen on a small screen? I'd suggest not very.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    http://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202070

But I take your point, if by 'real' you mean multi-screen

so this might be an interesting development

http://www.cultofmac.com/279285/ive-...ng-ipad-sucks/

But how useful is multi-screen on a small screen? I'd suggest not very.
    I suppose for a 4:3 screen (or whatever ratio Apple use) split screen isn't AS useful, but something like this would still work http://i.imgur.com/qmvquls.jpg (facebook chat on the left, web browser on the right).

Whereas on a 16:9 screen, something like this works very well http://i.imgur.com/3HcxPzx.jpg (OneNote on the left, Wikipedia app on the right).

It's not use of conventional windows that I'm after, they don't work particularly well with large fingers, but some way of running two apps on the screen at the same time. Win8.1 Metro multitasking is surprisingly good on a tablet (although I'd never use it on a desktop or laptop).

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Late 2012 pointlessly thin iMac enclosure
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

I like Apple gear, we have 3 Apple laptops, an iMac, 2 iPhones and a couple of iPods at home. I just can't see what the iPad offers in order to make it SO much more expensive than an Android tablet. I bought a Hudl2. I don't think the OS is as polished as iOS8.

It doesn't integrate quite as well with all my other Apple kit
    It probably has a slightly smaller capacity battery
    It probably isn't quite as nicely designed and the build quality probably isn't quite as good.

BUT crucially....

It's about 1/3 of the price
    As it gets used for media consumption, I can carry a few microSD cards with me and pop in a different one depending on who is using the device.

The problem is probably that the cheaper tablets are now 'good enough' to eat away at the premium end of the market.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by b0redom View Post
    I like Apple gear, we have 3 Apple laptops, an iMac, 2 iPhones and a couple of iPods at home. I just can't see what the iPad offers in order to make it SO much more expensive than an Android tablet. I bought a Hudl2. I don't think the OS is as polished as iOS8.

It doesn't integrate quite as well with all my other Apple kit
    It probably has a slightly smaller capacity battery
    It probably isn't quite as nicely designed and the build quality probably isn't quite as good.

BUT crucially....

It's about 1/3 of the price
    As it gets used for media consumption, I can carry a few microSD cards with me and pop in a different one depending on who is using the device.

The problem is probably that the cheaper tablets are now 'good enough' to eat away at the premium end of the market.
    I am becoming an Apple convert. I started getting fed up with Microsoft about ten years, and started using Linux for main computing, with win 2k for legacy apps.

Windows 7 was a bit of a renaissance, and while the iPad looked good, I could see no real need for one, or a tablet at all.

The the HP touchpad fire sale happened, and I jumped, and grew to like it. HP support dropped off and I installed Android on it,mand quite liked it, in fact I grew to like it more.

At the same time I was using an iMac elsewhere, so to dip a toe in the water, I built an almost comparable () and that was good too, with some hardware limitations, but did give me insight into the Apple infrastructure.

So the big jump was an iMac, and now an iPad mini.

They integrate well, and I distrust Apple's infrastructure less that I distrust Google's or Microsoft's. I can use Google docs (useful in some instances), but it all just works fairly seamlessly. It is Unix under the hood and connects to my Linux server using Samba, and I had forgotten how good IM can be.

In terms of operating systems, there isn't much to choose between Android or IOS8, the differentiator is the integration with other Apple software on other platforms.

Now I am on the slippery slope, next phone will probably be an iPhone, whenever I upgrade.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks

I've never really bought into apple's philosophy etc plus my programs don't actually work on os-x but I do have experience of ms/google/palm/linux. I kind of like to be able to use my software/hardware how I want to use it, not be told I have to do it in a certain way.

Out of the ones I use I trust microsoft online services more than the others and I use an android phone (currently syncing more with ms than google due to the below issues)....so does Apple apparently as they use azure and amazon for their icloud. Having said that I'd set up my own home server before relying on cloud computing.

Not keen on google's current approach to 'forcing people' to pay to use only their services in the way I want to use them (ie sync with outlook) and I'm not sure how much I trust an advertising company with my email and my files, google music is pretty handy music store though.

I do however like the way ms is going with software support for ALL mobile os's and most major desktop ones, hell I'm even considering swapping out my android phone for a windows one although for the moment I can access my ms contacts/calendar on android

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Late 2012 pointlessly thin iMac enclosure
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    In terms of operating systems, there isn't much to choose between Android or IOS8, the differentiator is the integration with other Apple software on other platforms.

Now I am on the slippery slope, next phone will probably be an iPhone, whenever I upgrade.
    This is true, and for OSX and iOS (on Phone) I'd agree with you. I like the way OSX can accept and generate SMSs and Facetime, and the call hand off etc. In terms of a tablet though, I predominantly use it for digital content consumption (comics, tv, film, light gaming). I don't tend to use my tablet for video conferencing and/or SMS, so the iPad mini is more of a hard sell.

I would love an excuse to buy a couple though, so if there's a killer reason I should have one over an Android app, let me know.....

Account closed at user request
    Thanks
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig DDR3 Crucial Rendition 1333 - cheap!
      • Storage:
      • 128 gig Agility 3, 240GB Corsair Force 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg

Businesses did their sheepish buy-the-managers-an-ipad thing and have now realised is was another silly wasteful fad. A few will replace but mostly it will fizzle out.

The apple fanboyz I know have mostly gone back to using their phones - not seen an iPad being posed with in months.

Had a Nexus 7 for a few months. Okay for watching movies but I found I preferred the one-handed operation of my S3, or wanted a proper keyboard and mouse for anything bigger. So back to main PC as preferred device, S3 as no2, and chuggy elderly W7 netbook as the on-holidays portable PC.

Very unlikely to buy another tablet - more likely to replace netbook with a 12" laptop with flippy rotatey or detachable screen if I edge in that direction at all.

Sure tablets have their uses, but frankly I think phones/phablets will take over again for most-people.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by b0redom View Post
    This is true, and for OSX and iOS (on Phone) I'd agree with you. I like the way OSX can accept and generate SMSs and Facetime, and the call hand off etc. In terms of a tablet though, I predominantly use it for digital content consumption (comics, tv, film, light gaming). I don't tend to use my tablet for video conferencing and/or SMS, so the iPad mini is more of a hard sell.

I would love an excuse to buy a couple though, so if there's a killer reason I should have one over an Android app, let me know.....
    I like the mini because of its portability, it will fit into the inside pocket of a coat, and the screen size is big enough and clear enough for me. The only compelling reason for it over Android is the integration with other Apple devices and the hand off between them.

Had I already had an iPhone, the IPad mini would have been harder to justify (although I bought it with a load of Nectar points, so the cash outlay was relatively low).

The iPad is usually within arms reach and enables me to do 75% of my routine needs with ought going to the desktop. And yes, the HO touchpad did much the same, but the mini is lighter. And there are other Android devices are slimmer and lighter too.

My phone is an ageing Blackberry, and as it is 5 years old, it is probably due for an upgrade in the next year or so, and it will probably be an iPhone. The 5s has dropped in price. Had I bought an iPhone, the mini would be harder to justify, so if or when I upgrade the phone, it will be interesting to see how the use will change. That said, I use my phone so little for actual voice calls, I don't feel any rush to change it.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thread Information