Thread: PC games software market to exceed $35bn by 2018, says OGA

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

PC games software market to exceed $35bn by 2018, says OGA

Meanwhile both console and handheld game software markets are expected to decline.
    Read more.

ZaO

Re: PC games software market to exceed $35bn by 2018, says OGA

Maybe people are just starting to get tired of still playing games at a target framerate of 30fps with a horrible, sickening Fov. That's what I like to think anyway haha...

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Meanwhile both console and handheld game software markets are expected to decline.
    Not really surprising. I'd expect Nintendo to have a hard time due to the wide availability of smartphones and tablets, even some with gaming features like the Playstation branded ones or the NVidia Shield. The handheld market surely has been going downhill for some time?

The decline in consoles I'd put down to a variety of factors, key of which being the horrendous prices that both major consoles (PS4 and XBO) launched at, with no backward compatibility. I'm also seeing an upswing in the power of budget PC's, so it's probably an easy decision to make - buy a new console or a basic PC. Then again there's all these Steam, Origin, HumbleBundle, etc sales which means that the cost of a PC-based games library will be a fraction of the cost of a similar one for PS4/XBO. I'd also suggest that the miss-steps that Microsoft made in the XBO launch haven't helped, the always-on/not always on, the Kinect required/Kinect optional, etc.

I've got shelves of XBox360 games, yet I've not even toyed with the idea of a "next gen" console, instead preferring to spend my hard-earned on Steam sales. Likewise I had various DS models, yet haven't bought any of the "3D" models, and all that kind of gaming is now down on Asus or Samsung tablets.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

High cost and VERY low relative performance is putting me off of consoles...and I suspect others.

Consoles always used to cost an amount I didn't need to think about and when they released they gave a reasonably high-end PC a run for it's money......now they cost twice as much and are low to mid range PC spec. This means the relative cost has actually sky-rocketed.....and that's before we talk about £65 games!

Both Sony and MS have limited their sales this time around, I do wonder if that's what they wanted tho, less sales but more profit per sale can mean lower overheads.

Sell the consoles for £200 and make the money from the £65 titles and we might be more interested.........they set that model and it worked well for years, now they want their cake and eat it....and surprise surprise, people are starting to move to PC. I do believe that some of the shift has been due to more console gamers being wooed by TV adverts where they keep showing the PC version, they then buy their XB360/XB1 version and then head to the internet to find out why it doesn't look like the advert....

I know so many gamers who always bought the new consoles, yet I cannot think of any of them that have bought into the latest gen at all......it still surprises me how many they have sold so far. TBH, I think they have done pretty well considering.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • DemonHighwayman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb 2.4Ghz Kingston Beast
      • Storage:
      • 256 Gb Samsung 850 Pro (Main), 4TB Toshiba X300 (games), 2TB External TV/Films HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • KFA2 RTX 2070 EXOC
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster Real Power M700
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 20 VT
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PB278Q
      • Internet:
      • Yes most of the time

I think the reason it appears that the PC market is growing is down to people buying digital/download games more than disc based games these days which from what i've seen is always almost more expensive, unless your getting a humble bundle or steam sale or off a dodgy site.

Banned
    Thanks

My view is that the current state of gaming in general is sh?t. Pc gaming is sh?t, current gen console games are sh?t, etc. Things peaked around the early 00s and since then all we have had is better graphics and more energy used.

So how does that relate to the above? Pc gaming is increasing as it's cheap, people like cheap. Cheap but also sh?t.

Thanks
    • nitro912gr's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabretooth 990FX R2.0
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II x6 1090T
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB Kingstone Beast 2133Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 850 250GB, 2x WD Caviar Black 640GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon 7850 DD 1GB
      • PSU:
      • XFX ProSeries 450W Core Edition
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster N300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2313HM

I hope publishers/developers get the memo this time...

I'm tired to be second rate customer when it comes to video games from some big publishers who put the console version first and give us a terrible port...

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by abaxas View Post
    My view is that the current state of gaming in general is sh?t. Pc gaming is sh?t, current gen console games are sh?t, etc. Things peaked around the early 00s and since then all we have had is better graphics and more energy used. So how does that relate to the above? Pc gaming is increasing as it's cheap, people like cheap. Cheap but also sh?t.
    I'd suggest you're being a little unfair. Certainly the major titles have gone onto the "never mind the gameplay, drink in the spectacle", but there's still quite a few titles out there that have remembered little things like storyline and characterisation. I blame Crytek for some of the graphics-obsession, Crysis undoubtedly being very lush, but playability was lacking. Then if someone else puts up a good title with passable graphics they'll get absolutely slated - the "omg, this looks like something out of the 80s", etc.

I also think that there's a "fashion" aspect that I hate. So if you haven't got the latest in-vogue title then shame on you. So we get the hype around GTAV etc, ignoring whether it's actually a decent title or not, then there's the usual October furore over CoD, and don't get me started on the FIFA, Madden, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by nitro912gr View Post
    I hope publishers/developers get the memo this time... I'm tired to be second rate customer when it comes to video games from some big publishers who put the console version first and give us a terrible port...
    I read a survey recently that said that PC gamers tend to play a title for a lot longer than their console-based counterparts. In which case I'd argue that perhaps the "this years title" view of the publishers is more suited to the console crowd. After all, how difficult is it going to be to sell "CoD:2016" or "Assassin's Creed:2016" if the PC punters are still playing the "2015" title. Heck, I still occasionally play JC2 and that's nearly five years old!

Remember that consoles are fixed platforms, so it's obviously going to be easier to develop for than the PC market where you'd be very lucky to find two setups the same - even to basic stuff like controller or mouse/keyboard.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Banned
    Thanks

I guess the point is that it costs multiples more to write a top title (due mostly to graphics) than it did 10-15 years ago.

More risk in cost = less risks taken.

The question is does any modern shooter offer than much more than CS or quake3 did?

Thread Information