Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pebble Time smartwatch breaks Kickstarter records

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Pebble Time smartwatch breaks Kickstarter records

Updated smartwatch design raises over $20 million in funding.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Re: Pebble Time smartwatch breaks Kickstarter records

stands out from the pack with its waterproofing, full week of battery life, a body which is 20 per cent thinner than the original and an accessible price of $200
    Smartwatch makers please note - these should be the key design points of your product, (although the "thinner" is arguable).
    Is it possible that the Pebble Time will be David to the Apple Watch Goliath?
    Can't see it myself - the P.T. may be a fantastic piece of kit, but I'd guarantee that it'll lack the kind of bragging rights that come with an Apple Watch. Apple-bashing aside, the AW will probably mesh with iPhone a lot better than P.T. can hope for.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

3. Received thanks from:

McEwin (31-03-2015)

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450i Gaming plus Wifi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DRR4 Trident Z 3200 C16
      • Storage:
      • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1Tb NVME SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF (2560x1440 144Hz Nano IPS)
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

If I wanted a smart watch, this would be the one I bought

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Crazy numbers - how much longer can they really expect to last in this market?

Don't get me wrong I love(d) my Pebble, and it was a great product..but it cannot compete with the Android Wear watches except perhaps on battery life - but even then when you get a decent number of notifications, you are talking 2-3 days with my LG G R (average of 2) and only 3-4 (average of 3) with my Pebble, so the different is not exactly huge. Thats based on 1 notification every 15 min or so during the working day, and some light "other" use for games/navigation/replying to SMS etc. Certainly not enough to make up for the gigantic gap between the pebble and android wear watches - something which I don't expect the new colour one to resolve given that it relies upon 3rd party developers - and Google/Apple have a much bigger community around them developing apps for their devices.

They are still making money predominately based on the fact they are the only real contender out there for iPhones - but that is all going to change in a few weeks. Most people who own an iPhone and want a smartwatch will buy an iWatch (regardless of price!) so I am pretty sure they will lose out big time there.

There will still be plenty of techies/geeks who want a pebble because its NOT an iWatch or Wear watch of course, but really enough to sustain things? They come over as a company that grew too big too fast on the strength of a really good start - but I think they need something new and innovative to keep going, rather than effectively playing catchup

Anyone who has backed it or who wants a "Time" over one of the Wear or iWatches, I am curious why? Whats the major selling point?
    Last edited by Spud1; 30-03-2015 at 01:35 PM.

Thanks
    • LeetyMcLeet's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Auros X570 Master 1.2
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 64 GB 3600 DDR3 (G.Skill Trident Z)
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Samsung 980 Pro PCIe NVMe, 2 x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SATA3, 2 x 6TB WD Black 3.5'' HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 3070Ti (MSI SUPRIM)
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design 7 Dark with TG Window
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ/Zowie XL @ 1080p, 240Hz
      • Internet:
      • BT Business FTTC/VDSL ~ 50Mbps

I don't get it myself. It's like going back to the 80's/early 90's when Casio gave us those massive digital watches with built in organiser-like functions. With all this stuff and more in modern phones, which most people will have on their person 24x7, why oh why would anyone spend out that kind of money on a watch lol. It has no USP that I can see.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    Anyone who has backed it or who wants a "Time" over one of the Wear or iWatches, I am curious why? Whats the major selling point?
    I thought the big whoop with the Time was the way it presents events, reminders, etc - certainly that's what I remember from the Kickstarter page. PS LG G Watch R - nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeetyMcLeet View Post
    I don't get it myself. It's like going back to the 80's/early 90's when Casio gave us those massive digital watches with built in organiser-like functions. With all this stuff and more in modern phones, which most people will have on their person 24x7, why oh why would anyone spend out that kind of money on a watch lol. It has no USP that I can see.
    You think you've got problems - not only do I have a 1st Gen Sony smartwatch (not that usable to be honest) but I also still own one of these: (click the image if you want to know more - I linked to the article I lifted the image from)

Note please that despite this being 1980's tech - it's STILL usable as a watch (although there's something amiss with the docking station, otherwise I figure the organiser features would still be working too).

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

8. Received thanks from:

TheAnimus (30-03-2015)

Thanks

The benefit of those watches surely has to come from the integration with other devices? Though I am still not too sure what amazing things those watches are supposed to do when I can so easily reach my phone from my pocket. Perhaps if they make it rugged, waterproof with a touch screen that can be used with gloves, I can see some use if they can integrate with any popular devices over Wi-Fi / BT. I am thinking action camera (GoPro etc.), heart rate monitor, drones (to act as a beacon) etc. [most smartphones still aren't waterproof so I wouldn't want to take it out of my pocket when it is pouring]

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    Though I am still not too sure what amazing things those watches are supposed to do when I can so easily reach my phone from my pocket.
    My sentiments exactly.

I got my first smartphone in 2009 and immediately stopped bothering with a watch (felt naked without a watch for a while). Now they want us to carry a smartphone and wear a watch......a step backwards IMO.

If the watch replaced the phone, then hell yeah, I may just be interested. Until then, get some other suckers to buy this useless duplication tech.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    I thought the big whoop with the Time was the way it presents events, reminders, etc - certainly that's what I remember from the Kickstarter page. PS LG G Watch R - nice.

You think you've got problems - not only do I have a 1st Gen Sony smartwatch (not that usable to be honest) but I also still own one of these: (click the image if you want to know more - I linked to the article I lifted the image from)

Note please that despite this being 1980's tech - it's STILL usable as a watch (although there's something amiss with the docking station, otherwise I figure the organiser features would still be working too).
    Pip-boy v0.1 ?

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Well, many wearables do feel like they are a solution waiting for a problem..thats a common theme over many of the ones being launched this year!

Personally I love having a smart watch - yes anything I can do with it I can do with my phone, but its pure convenience, and it removes the need for me to take my phone out of my pocket or bag for most of the day. I can leave it on charge away from my desk and still pick up personal emails/texts, only resorting to picking up my phone when i need to. There are other uses - cancelling calls when in a meeting (no need to grab your phone), changing track/volume when running (if you don't have that on your headphones, or have wireless headphones), listening to music when running (my watch has 4gb of memory, means i can leave my phone at home or continue listening if the battery is flat)..and so many more.

I've written countless threads claiming the benefits of these devices though, so search on here if you want more use cases (There are loads) but the key one is convenience. It's simply easier than pulling out a phone every few minutes.

Registered+
    Thanks

The sad fact is that Apple could freeze dry turds and apple buyers would still queue up to buy them.

Spreadie

Quote Originally Posted by smilertoo View Post
    The sad fact is that Apple could freeze dry turds and apple buyers would still queue up to buy them.
    Leave out the anti-Apple rhetoric, it got boring a long time ago. I'm no fan of Apple, but inflammatory statements are just puerile trash that say much more about you than you could ever hope to say about Apple.

Back on topic: That watch is hateful, as is the Apple watch and just about any other smart watch.

I stopped wearing watches as soon as I got a mobile phone that displayed the time.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadie View Post
    Back on topic: That watch is hateful, as is the Apple watch and just about any other smart watch. I stopped wearing watches as soon as I got a mobile phone that displayed the time.
    Hmm, you might want to read Spud1's excellent post (#10 in the thread above) which explains some positives for smartwatches. Problem is that there's areas where you cannot have an active smartphone (camera issues) so if you're needing to keep a track of the time then something on the wrist is handy.

BTW, you had a go at smilertoo about anti-Apple rhetoric then come up with a similarly negative view?

Spreadie

While not wanting to drag this too far off topic, there is an obvious difference between a tired generic apple-bashing rant and expressing an opinion on a, in my my view, superfluous, redundant and expensive piece of tech.

If the main benefit of a smart watch is that I don't have to pull my phone out of my pocket to check the time, I might as well buy a standard watch. One that doesn't need charging daily.

For advanced functions, I'd rather have the larger and more accessible interface provided by my phone, and the only place I have been where I've had to hand in my phone was inside the premises of a prison. There were clocks everywhere!

Finally, and back on the interface, they're just too bulky and ungainly, IMO. Something that is unlikely to change unless they come up with a holographic interface.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

If the main reason to have a watch is that you don't want to reach for a phone, then you obviously need some real problems in your life to put things in perspective

And you still need to move your arm to see/use the watch....to grab your phone is also an arm movement......I don't see any great convenience changes.
    Phones ringing in meetings......aren't most like HTCs now? Put them face down and they don't ring/stop ringing?

As for music while running.....wouldn't you rather have more storage and the ability to make/accept a call? I.e. take your phone?
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    If the main reason to have a watch is that you don't want to reach for a phone, then you obviously need some real problems in your life to put things in perspective

And you still need to move your arm to see/use the watch....to grab your phone is also an arm movement......I don't see any great convenience changes.
    Phones ringing in meetings......aren't most like HTCs now? Put them face down and they don't ring/stop ringing?

As for music while running.....wouldn't you rather have more storage and the ability to make/accept a call? I.e. take your phone?
    I'm not saying they are a necessity - these are clearly Luxury items that solve small 1st world problems. They are also not for everyone! On the face of it you are right - its not like you will save hours a day from using a smartwatch - but if you live with one for a week, you'll likely see the benefits fairly quickly. it's a hard one to explain until you try it and actually live with it for a bit.

The meeting thing - well I don't leave my phone on the table in view - its away in my bag or pocked, out of sight. The idea is that you can cancel the call/do whats needed without distracting anyone/anyone noticing.

Music wise well yes, in general - but running it from the watch means you don't run down your phone battery, or if one dies the other can take over.

Each to their own - but I can see myself with a smart watch for a while until knitted metallic fibres filter down a little and you can have your phone UI sewn in to your jacket. Thats coming, but we're a few years off consumer versions yet. Look up things like the "knitted radio" and fabric keyboards (with ZERO electronics) for what's coming!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information