Thread: SK hynix Canvas SC300 512GB

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

SK hynix Canvas SC300 512GB

Is there now any reason not to have an SSD?
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Kanoe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING II
      • CPU:
      • Intel 7960X (4.4GHZ All Core)
      • Memory:
      • 64GB Corsair Vengeance PRO (8 x 8GB) 3200
      • Storage:
      • 1x 2TB M.2, 2x 1TB M.2, 960GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nvidia 3080 FE (1965MHz @906mV +1500 VRAM)
      • PSU:
      • Superflower 1200W
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Primo v2
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" Gigabyte M28U 4k + 24" Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • Zen 1 Gig Fibre

Re: SK hynix Canvas SC300 512GB

Looks pretty good. Been wanting to get a SSD for my laptop but as it can only support 1 drive and didn't want to spend a lot on it I haven't up to now but this might change my mind.

Btw you could do with correcting your Hexus.where2buy link for Amazon, it currently doesn't work correctly.

Thanks

Well spotted Kanoe, link to where2buy doesn't take you directly to their product lists - but if you add a space between SK and Hynix in the search bar, that's a quick fix for now

Registered+
    Thanks

Nice one with a very good value for money !

Thanks

Whenever i go on a computer without a SSD i wonder how the person who uses it puts up with the slowness. I could never go back to a standard HDD.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Myss_tree View Post
    Whenever i go on a computer without a SSD i wonder how the person who uses it puts up with the slowness. I could never go back to a standard HDD.
    It really depends on what they're using it for etc. Getting onto my "I hate Microsoft" horse for a minute, I find Ubuntu always boots faster than Windows (and by "boot" I mean "to a usable state"). And yes, I have seen folks who've streamlined their Windows experience to lightning quick.

Both machines I've got are mix of SSD and HDD. The main one - a laptop - has OS, apps and user data on SSD, with HDD (mainly RAID) for other storage. Desktop is a 50/50 mix of SSD and HDD - SSD for OS and apps, with HDD for user (one of those Hybrid SSHD drives) and for in-case backups.

What I've got to wonder is why manufacturers are still shipping HDD's in their systems. If £130 gets Joe Public a 512GB Hynix drive then surely the OEM's can get a better price. In which case, why not use them for all but the budget lines (where every £ is counted).

Back to the drives, these look very appealing, I'd be particularly interested when Hynix decide to look at the larger sizes (esp 1TB). Also interesting that Samsung don't seem to want to play in this particular pond. At this price I could afford to replace the RAID1 array that I use for my VM's - currently on 512GB WD Black laptop drives.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

gwp
    Registered+
    Thanks

why hasn't everyone moved over to SSDs for the main boot drive?
    Heat problems in laptop, data retention and reliability. I've had camera sdhc cards fail within a few days of using because the heat buildup inside the camera corrupted the data and made the entire card unusable. It'll probably happen to ssds too in gaming and video editing laptops.

There's also this
    http://hexus.net/tech/news/storage/83035-unpowered-days-ssds-can-begin-lose-data/

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by gwp View Post
    Heat problems in laptop, data retention and reliability. I've had camera sdhc cards fail within a few days of using because the heat buildup inside the camera corrupted the data and made the entire card unusable. It'll probably happen to ssds too in gaming and video editing laptops.
    You must be absolutely hammering that camera then, either that or using lousy (i.e. eBay'd) cards. I've happily shot 1080p video (up to the EU limit) a couple of times without problem. I've also been hammering a card transferring a lot of content to it via a card reader.

When you say "heat problems in laptop" I'm assuming that you're meaning that a poor cpu heatsink etc arrangement causing the SSD to fail. I've been using a Samsung 830 in my Dell lappie without issue since the 830 came out - and that lappie is also a VM host, so yes, it does get hammered.

As to reliability, I'm not convinced that SSD has any more of a serious problem than HDD's did at a similar point in their development. Cast your mind back to IBM's "Deathstar" and stiction issues, Seagates issues with the 7200.8/.9 and WD's various problems - e.g. the overly-aggressive ramp-down on the Cav Greens. Speaking of which I've got a forlorn WD MBWE NAS here - probably due for the skip because the Cav Green in it has "click of death" issues.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thread Information