Thread: Gainward GeForce GTX 970 Phoenix

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Gainward GeForce GTX 970 Phoenix

After the commotion, GTX 970 remains as good a bet as any.
    Read more.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Gainward GeForce GTX 970 Phoenix

Testing results aside, the fan housing is one of the prettiest I have seen so far for the 9-series cards. Not really a factor that is relevant considering it will disappear inside the case, but it has really caught my eye!

Thanks
    • azrael-'s system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Prime X470-Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
      • Memory:
      • 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
      • Storage:
      • 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 12 TB WD HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X-Series 560W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 550D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB271HU
      • Internet:
      • VDSL 55/12 Mbit/s

If I check the local prices then nothing much has budged pricewise in the last year or so when looking at GTX970+ cards. And personally speaking, the memory issue has meant that I'm not even *considering* getting a GTX970. Coupled with the fact, that, at least around here, GTX980 cards start at the equivalent of around £400 (1 GBP = ~10 DKK), means that my trusty GTX670 still has a good way to go before being replaced.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azrael- View Post
    If I check the local prices then nothing much has budged pricewise in the last year or so when looking at GTX970+ cards. And personally speaking, the memory issue has meant that I'm not even *considering* getting a GTX970. Coupled with the fact, that, at least around here, GTX980 cards start at the equivalent of around £400 (1 GBP = ~10 DKK), means that my trusty GTX670 still has a good way to go before being replaced.
    What memory issue? People are still trying to find it a year later basically. The specs don't change the scores from everyone. The OC is pretty massive here too, which should be the case on any 970 now that manufacturing is very mature on these. The only game here with an issue is Mordor, and I wonder about those results when the ref card beat both Gigabyte and Gainward cards (odd?). Either way they mention it as having problems hitting 60, when well, so did many others Simply OC it and it's a 980. Also if it was memory that was an issue in this game, why does a 3gb 780ti do so well? The 970 has an extra 1/2 gb of FAST memory before it hits the last 1/2 of that last GB of memory. At any rate, 42fps mins are plenty to play where they call it a problem in this article (and that before OCing it). It is still as good as when it launched, as Hexus notes.

Not saying you shouldn't wait (I am too, die shrink here I come), just saying mem crap is a bunk excuse at this point a year later with nothing found. You have to basically use synthetics or a perfect set up to force the issue, and in those cases 980 usually isn't playable either fluidly. It is very difficult to find a situation where you hit between 3.5.4GB. You always end up nailing both (IE, going over 4GB), thus the need for 6GB+ next year etc for mid-range probably (of course I'd hope HBM2 should get us there for mids). We won't start seeing lots of games made for >4GB until a large portion of the market have it (as show by all the games tested here).

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

I think most people are agreed that the memory isn't a problem in the real world outside a handful of margin cases, but they don't like the principal of nVidia's deception about the issue (though rewarding nVidia by going for a higher margin card instead perhaps isn't the best response).

Thread Information