Thread: Scan 3XS Z170 Vengeance Q

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Scan 3XS Z170 Vengeance Q

The first GeForce GTX 1080-powered base unit to pass through the HEXUS labs.
    Read more.

IQ: 1.42
    Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Various SSDs, 90TB RAID6 HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

Re: Scan 3XS Z170 Vengeance Q

Now that a card is out that can comfortably do 4K, what I think would be nice is a review that instead of max settings used, telling users what settings are needed to get 60fps average.

My thinking is AA wouldn't be needed much at all in 4K, and it's the most demanding single graphics setting, so maybe a test of which AA settings still allow smooth gameplay.

Although I guess it's more suited to a gaming website, still would be nice to see.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by Tunnah View Post
    My thinking is AA wouldn't be needed much at all in 4K
    Not just much at all, at all at all unless it's a panel size of a TV or something ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks

Now that a card is out that can comfortably do 4K, what I think would be nice is a review that instead of max settings used, telling users what settings are needed to get 60fps average.

My thinking is AA wouldn't be needed much at all in 4K, and it's the most demanding single graphics setting, so maybe a test of which AA settings still allow smooth gameplay.

Although I guess it's more suited to a gaming website, still would be nice to see.
    The 1080 works fine for 4k 30 fps, but stable 60 fps is not doable in current AAA titles, even without anti-aliasing (which doesn't make much sense at that resolution anyway). The point of getting such a card is to play at maximum settings, reducing settings to get 60 fps at a higher resolution kinda beats the point.

Thanks

4K gaming is still averaging at below 60 FPS on a single card, will be quite a while before it get stable enough to have a min FPS of 60+.

Thanks

I've wondered that as well but unless we get a 1080Ti with considerably more power then I don't think there's any point (yet). Maybe a 2x1080 system would make it worthwhile, but the price would be exorbitant.

I think people are wrong to be impatient about the allegedly "slow" improvement in 4k rates, given that every frame of improvement is a big step with regard to the demands of 4k rendering, but equally the pressure at the lower end of technology will make progress slower still. This year we're looking at Rise Of The Tomb Raider as one of the 2016 performance yardsticks, but we expect next year's equivalent game to be a tougher job for the PCs of today. Therefore, next year's game at 4k is going to be tougher yet, and cards fight an uphill battle to show improvement there.

If it could be shown that a PC could just about scrape 60fps @4k on ROTR, would you really want to buy it?
    Last edited by Otherhand; 28-06-2016 at 10:32 PM.

IQ: 1.42
    Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Various SSDs, 90TB RAID6 HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Nifl View Post
    The 1080 works fine for 4k 30 fps, but stable 60 fps is not doable in current AAA titles, even without anti-aliasing (which doesn't make much sense at that resolution anyway). The point of getting such a card is to play at maximum settings, reducing settings to get 60 fps at a higher resolution kinda beats the point.
    But all the reviews have settings maxed out, and usually like 4xMSAA or whatever, and still get very close to (or above) a 60fps average. MSAA is by far the biggest FPS killer at lower resolutions so I can't even begin to imagine the toll it takes at higher resolutions

I can't agree with your viewpoint about the point of the card. While you hope that your top of the line card lets you max out settings, even if you can it's short-lived, as newer more demanding games come out and you lower settings to improve FPS - eye candy is worth diddly squat if your game feels like you're having an epileptic fit.

Don't get me wrong I wanna be able to max it out, but I'd much rather play at the highest res with a few settings turned down (which, 90% of the time, you just can't notice) than lower the resolution to be able to max em all.

Thanks

Imagine my surprise when I see this review. I own the previous generation Scan Quiet PC (which this model replaced) and I haven't bought another yet as there is no processor overclock and I was waiting for all the new 1080 cards.

Look on Scan's website and this PC doesn't exist in the form it's reviewed.

Core issue. The Vengence Q on the website has a Intel Core i7 6700 and is not overclocked. There also seems to be no option to overclock it. It has a 1070 card in it and the differences keep on going.

So this appears to be a review of a PC that doesn't exist and has to be custon designed. Might be worth pointing this out clearer.

https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/configura...performanceq10

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andy14 View Post
    Imagine my surprise when I see this review. I own the previous generation Scan Quiet PC (which this model replaced) and I haven't bought another yet as there is no processor overclock and I was waiting for all the new 1080 cards.

Look on Scan's website and this PC doesn't exist in the form it's reviewed.
    I hope you're still enjoying your 3XS PC and thanks for your feedback on our website.

All the systems that we sell in this family (Custom Series) are configurable with lots of options listed on the website (and if you can't see what you want we can build it that way too).

While the default spec of the Vengeance Q isn't the same as the system we sent to HEXUS all the options that HEXUS did review are available as selections on the configurator. On the configurator itself simply click the green change button and you will see a drop down list of the recommended alternate options.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply James. My current Scan PC is still going so strong that 3 years later it's a hard act to follow, never had an issue.

I appreciate your logic, but it seems a little cheeky to have review systems that can't be directly purchased from the website without extensive configuration.

Also appreciate that Scan are there to help, with all my systems from you I've spoken (via phone / email) to a representative who has answered my questions and helped design the best possible system.

An upgrade is definitely on the cards soonish, I'm almost certainly going 34" (3440x1440) instead of 4k though, so just need to decide on 1080 or wait a bit for the Ti...

Thread Information