Thread: Nvidia Pascal GPU supplies remain tight say industry sources

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Nvidia Pascal GPU supplies remain tight say industry sources

And the GeForce Experience 3.0 software comes out of beta.
    Read more.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Nvidia Pascal GPU supplies remain tight say industry sources

I've not really noticed any stock problems with NVidia cards. Friend wanting an AMD 480 4GB. Seen one on Ebuyer when it was first launched for £180 but since then they are really hard to find. Just noticed one available for just under £200 on Overclockers but that's way above his budget. Perhaps the one I seen on Ebuyer was a mistake and normal price for a RX480 4GB is £200?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zimano View Post
    I've not really noticed any stock problems with NVidia cards. Friend wanting an AMD 480 4GB. Seen one on Ebuyer when it was first launched for £180 but since then they are really hard to find. Just noticed one available for just under £200 on Overclockers but that's way above his budget. Perhaps the one I seen on Ebuyer was a mistake and normal price for a RX480 4GB is £200?
    No - the 4GB RX 480s were definitely on pre-order Ebuyer for several weeks at under £180. I ordered the 8GB reference edition for under £220 in July but had to wait a couple of weeks for stock. Prices have risen since then, with the RX 470 taking over the £170-220 range.

Thanks

They made a product they cannot produce fast enough or lack the ability doing such... had to go with a 1080 though since AMD had not yet offered something better... but all in time.. I buy whichever currently is best in a reasonable way.

Thanks

Quick... buy the over priced item before the new one appears or the price drops. Usual marketing.

Thanks

idd, no way there is a big demand for so high priced gpu's

or people or dumb

then again, iphone...so maybe they have a point

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aniilv View Post
    idd, no way there is a big demand for so high priced gpu's

or people or dumb

then again, iphone...so maybe they have a point
    For many, $400-600 is not much money, I mean who can't save $150 a year for 3yrs until they buy their next card? jeez, use your money smarter (These are the DUMB people IMHO). I'd say the same about $1200 also. If you produce a great product (which NV has), people will be willing to pay for it. I may not LIKE apple at all, but when they release a new gen of their phone it's usually a top performer. Denying that is kind of silly. People don't buy things they don't want usually at these prices I can afford a $1200 card myself, just waiting on Vega first for comparison and also to hopefully see some pro apps tested on 1080/vega/TitanX (adobe stuff, blender etc, stuff Titan would actually be used for). Cuda vs. OpenCL (amd) in adobe apps would be great since a simple checkbox for either gets the support. Indie devs and content creators are growing massively, so this stuff should be in every vid card review. Why sites act as though we ONLY game on higher end cards is laughable and a major disservice to the audience reading these sites.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by nobodyspecial View Post
    For many, $400-600 is not much money
    Yes,it is a lot of money for a lot of people for a disposable single use item like a GPU for gaming,whose value and use will plummet within a very time. That is £300 to £450,and I hardly know anybody who would spend that much money on a card,and that includes people who could easily spend that money(looking at what else they would buy),and its not hard to see why?? Very few games need that sort of power to run,and when it does people think that is £30 to £40 for the game plus the cost of the GPU for ONE game which will last a few hours.

Most if not all games which last a decent amount of time need less powerful cards,and the people I know who spend that sort of money,generally are hardware enthusiasts,who like hardware. In fact you only have to look at most of the market - its under £300.

Things like phones and tablets can cost around the same,but I see far more people willing to spend that sort of money,as in their mind they will get far more use out of it every day.

Plus the new £500+ "standard" tier is generally a newer invention(apart from the odd special edition card and so on) - the GTX580 was under £500 and the equivalent in performance tier is more a Titan X.

In fact in the realworld,after being to several LANs,etc and met many PC gamers,I have not met a single person with a GTX980TI or a Fury X. Plenty of people with GTX970 cards,a few GTX980 cards,the odd R9 290/R9 390 and loads of people owning cards like a GTX750TI,etc.

Hence,in reality for loads of gamers,any card really above £300 to £400 is seen as a stupid amount of money for a graphics card.

For a GTX750TI owner,thats like 3 to 4 times the amount of their card,or 2 to 3 times the cost of a GTX960.

The same goes with CPUs - quite a few with Core i3 and Core i5 CPUs,and a few Core i7 CPUs,but again anything above a quad core Core i7 is very rare again for a gamer in my experience. The people I met who have more than four cores in their systems,are not gamers.

Thats the thing - even a £300 CPU will probably be a longer time purchase than a £300 card - graphics cards are probably the most expensive and shortest lived component of a gaming PC.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 11-09-2016 at 07:09 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nobodyspecial View Post
    For many, $400-600 is not much money, I mean who can't save $150 a year for 3yrs until they buy their next card? jeez, use your money smarter (These are the DUMB people IMHO). I'd say the same about $1200 also. If you produce a great product (which NV has), people will be willing to pay for it. I may not LIKE apple at all, but when they release a new gen of their phone it's usually a top performer. Denying that is kind of silly. People don't buy things they don't want usually at these prices I can afford a $1200 card myself, just waiting on Vega first for comparison and also to hopefully see some pro apps tested on 1080/vega/TitanX (adobe stuff, blender etc, stuff Titan would actually be used for). Cuda vs. OpenCL (amd) in adobe apps would be great since a simple checkbox for either gets the support. Indie devs and content creators are growing massively, so this stuff should be in every vid card review. Why sites act as though we ONLY game on higher end cards is laughable and a major disservice to the audience reading these sites.
    Not sure how much $600 is, but Nvidia graphics cards are massively over priced and at least an API generation behind. Stock seems plentiful in shops so if supply is low demand must also be low and clearly as you go up in price demand drops off sharply.

Yes I'm sure more people could pay the price, the question is why would you when in 6 months AMD will have offer something better for less money and Nvidia will drop prices.

Thread Information