Thread: LG G6 smartphone to launch ahead of MWC on 26th Feb

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

LG G6 smartphone to launch ahead of MWC on 26th Feb

Sends out invites to the special event slot usually reserved by Samsung.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: LG G6 smartphone to launch ahead of MWC on 26th Feb

I dunno how well an 18:9 phone display will work out ... i presume this year's fad will be narrower smartphones then.

Dunno about other people, but having a bit of width to fit content onto is kinda useful, going towards 14:9 would have been preferable.

Thanks
    • virtuo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master X570
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 9 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 64Gb G.Skill TridentZ Neo 3600 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent 2TB PCIE4 NVME + NAS upon NAS upon NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX 3090 FE
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2 Grey
      • Operating System:
      • RedStar 3, Ubuntu, Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung CRG90 5140x1440 120hz
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet's best, but still poor, attempt

Quote Originally Posted by sykobee View Post
    I dunno how well an 18:9 phone display will work out ... i presume this year's fad will be narrower smartphones then.

Dunno about other people, but having a bit of width to fit content onto is kinda useful, going towards 14:9 would have been preferable.
    With my standard length thumbs I think it's going to be tricky to work an 18:9 screen one-handed unless it's closer to 4 than 5 or 6 inches diagonally. Videos are going to have funny black bars and I can imagine a fair few of my apps not working too well. Google navigation would look nice though.

I'll be keeping an eye on this one, but I'll probably be after a OnePlus 3T next.

Thanks
    • Nelviticus's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • Core i5-9600K
      • Memory:
      • 32 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000
      • Storage:
      • 512GB Samsung 970 Pro SSD, 2TB Samsung EVO 860 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GeForce GTX 1060 3GB (EVGA)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2
      • Case:
      • be quiet! Silent Base 600
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2410 24", Samsung 22"
      • Internet:
      • 100 Mbps cable

Isn't 18:9 just a rather silly way of saying 2:1? I mean, why not call it 1392:696?

Thanks
    • rahubit369's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DH61WW
      • CPU:
      • I3 2nd gen
      • Memory:
      • kingstone Fury 1866mhz 8Gb
      • Storage:
      • seagate 500 gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ZOTAC gtx 1060 mini 6gb
      • PSU:
      • Power Asia 600 watt gold
      • Case:
      • zebronics
      • Operating System:
      • win8.1 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22mp56hq
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

not 21:9 Display

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

But have they fixed the reboot loop issue? The G4 did it a lot and the g5 was also susceptible to it (although at a lower rate) from what I read. I was really keen on picking up a G4 or G5 second hand but was put off by this (Not helped by the fact that LG washed there hands of it for second hand phones!). It would take a solid release of the G6 before I'd risk a G7...
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cheesemp View Post
    But have they fixed the reboot loop issue? The G4 did it a lot and the g5 was also susceptible to it (although at a lower rate) from what I read. I was really keen on picking up a G4 or G5 second hand but was put off by this (Not helped by the fact that LG washed there hands of it for second hand phones!). It would take a solid release of the G6 before I'd risk a G7...
    I had one of those G4s, and mine was one that died. In was only a vulnerability in stock with a build date pre-August on the launch year, so it's sad to hear the G5 suffered the same thing. In the G4, it was an issue to do with the motherboard layout. Even though my G4 died on me at a really bad time (during a flight to stay 6500 miles from home for a few months - inconvenient, to say the least!), I still wanted another G4 but I couldn't have one because the retailers didn't want to open boxes to find out the build dates, so I skipped to Samsung instead.

I'd certainly consider buying one again, but as you say, I'd be wary. I guess it was something to do with the thin shell and heat. I never heard of the chunkier V-xx models having these problems, anyway.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sykobee View Post

Ughhh, can't stand this ultrawide fad myself TBH. I mean each to his own but I'm just not a fan of playing games or pretty much anything whilst effectively looking through a letterbox. It seems like the height of stupidity to put it into a phone you'll be using portrait the vast majority of the time. LG can keep it if that's the case.

More worryingly is a lot of daft fads seem to catch on, probably because of modish hordes who buy the new shiny just because it's new and shiny, which the companies seem to mistakenly interpret as it being something desirable in and of itself. TBH I think I preferred whatever aspect ratio my Nexus 4 was. I mean I can live with 16:9, it just seems impractically narrow.

rant: I'm sick of being asked if/when I'm 'upgrading' to an ultrawide monitor. Sorry, but I just can't fathom how losing a huge chunk of the scarce vertical screen space and gaining often useless horizontal screen space can be considered anything close to an upgrade? YMMV of course, but don't try to ram your own personal preference down other's throats and pretend it's an upgrade. /end rant

Thanks
    • globalwarning's system
      • CPU:
      • AMD 1090T
      • Memory:
      • RIP JAW DDR3 1600 4x4GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire 7950 OC (Boost)
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 750W
      • Case:
      • Old crap
      • Operating System:
      • Window 7 Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Hanns-G 281DPB

I own a V20 (had a V10 that I loved but it got stolen and they replaced it with a V20). I had a G2 before that. I prefer LG's over Samsungs, but was really disappointed in the the G5 (which is why I got the V10). I'm a bit sad they have moved away from having replaceable batteries with this one, apparently, but I'm still curious to see how this goes. I feel like LG has done a good job with trying to think outside the box (even if it was a failure like the G5) creativity seems to be lacking in the field. Maybe they'll get it right? I'll be sticking with my V20 for the foreseeable future, though.

Thanks
    • lodore's system
      • Motherboard:
      • X570 AORUS MASTER
      • CPU:
      • Amd Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 2666 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Gigabyte AORUS 7000s SSD and sandisk 1tb sata 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080TI 11gb
      • PSU:
      • Ion+ 860W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 4000D AIRFLOW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 34inch ultra wide quad HD 144hz and 24inch asus HD
      • Internet:
      • 80Mbps Zen

I am not very happy with LG atm. My LG G4 had the boot loop issue and took a few weeks to get fixed. I have recently emailed them asking whenI am likely to get a newer security patch (currently got july 2016) it is well and good saying that the patches are for G3 4 and 5 and what security issues it fixes, but no good if they cannot get give me an eta.
    I tried filling in the form on the website but when they respond you cannot reply to the email and have to submit a new request. the livechat was equally useless saying that simply do not know when i will get any security updates. one email response i got said that i should contact google as they are the ones that provide the security patches for that model...

the main reason I went for the G4 was removable battery and expandable storage. I haven't actually purchased a second battery so unless i was keeping a phone for a long time a removable battery probably doesn't matter to much. the main issue i have with internal batteries is the effort require to change something that should be user replaceable. the repair-ability of the LG G4 design is great just has lots of screws.

it seems to me that LG isnt going to have anything unique in the G6 it just seems like just another phone and with the reliability issues of the g4 and 5 why would you choose it over the other similar phones with the same processor similar camera etc.
    Last edited by lodore; 25-01-2017 at 11:47 PM.

Thread Information