Thread: QOTW: What are your early impressions of Nintendo Switch?

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

QOTW: What are your early impressions of Nintendo Switch?

Two months after launch, is the hybrid game console living up to expectations?
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: QOTW: What are your early impressions of Nintendo Switch?

Not interested for the same reasons. Way too expensive for a Nintendo console and it doesn't offer anything special. And, no, portability is nothing special for a gaming console.

Registered+
    Thanks

Got our daughter one, good for using on the move and when on long flights. Does have big downsides, online play lags behind bigger consoles. Got Minecraft my daughter can't find people to play with, no way to chat even when she does, joycons cannot be shared for split screen (wtf is that not the point) and saves cannot be backed up to the cloud. Overall it's good for mobile gaming but a compromise as a console, and accessories and software way overpriced! Does its job on the move but for me, it missed the mark on cost and Zelda ain't no Skyrim or Fallout 4.

Thanks
    • Bagpuss's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9-9900K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3400
      • Storage:
      • Gigabyte 512GB NVMe SSD, Crucial 1Tb NVMe SSD, 6Tb Seagate 7200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 2080 Black Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 850 RMx 850 Gold
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify C Copper Front Panel
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG UK850 27in 4K HDR Freesync/Gsync
      • Internet:
      • Three Mobile 4G Unlimited Data (35-45Mbit)

I know two people who bought one, both of them think it's great as a portable but pretty terrible as a home console, and can't see themselves buying any more games for it once Mario is released, Zelda & MK8 are keeping them entertained until it arrives.

No desire whatsoever to buy one myself though having had a go on one, for a portable it's way overpriced and as a home console it's way underpowered.

Thanks

Yeah got to agree with the above, a great device for the kids especially those raised on tablets but it's lacking polish in certain areas.

Time will eventually sort those things out but right now Nintendo are missing an opportunity for co-operation with Microsoft who are a lot more open with Xbox these days, Minecraft should be playable with Xbox players too if only Nintendo would let them (even if voice/text comms are disabled).

Thanks

I was hyped about it before, but now I find it disappointing. A year ago if it was release it'd be more impressive, but now it's using an old tegra chip which seems outdated. It makes me wonder how quickly it will fall behind as a handheld, especially when zelda didn't manage 1080P docked so more up to date hardware seems like it would've made for a better device even if it released at a later date. The cost of the console and the games are also really high and there's not that many titles which is more reason why it didn't need to be released yet. I mean the top games are zelda, mario kart and the coming splatoon which you can mostly experience on the Wii U anyway. I ended up ordering a used Wii U instead because even the prices of a new Wii U has been ridiculous all this time. For less than the cost of the switch, I managed to get a Wii U with 9 games (£191).

Hopefully prices will fall later on and the library will be better. If it will be a console and handset experience in one then that will convince me for the right price, but there has been a lot of shortcomings. One thing is that it seems like a tablet without tablet features.

With the cost of games, that's reminded me why I have stuck primarily with my PC for gaming. What I find ridiculous is people defending the switches shortcomings to a ridiculous extent. People are absolutely allowed to like the switch, but when they pretend things like the battery life is decent or that 32GB of on-board storage is fine in this day and age, that seems unnecessarily biased and prevents us getting better products.

All in all it has potential, but right now I don't think it's worth it and I think it could have been better or cheaper.

Thanks

So far I completely disagree with all of the above in most of the points but the lacking of games for the console, but since it has been around for 2 months so far I think that can be forgiven.

People complain about low battery life, well you can use your mobile powerbank for the switch aswell, and so far I haven't been away from an electric plug for the switch to run out of battery.

Also about the power of the console, well if you are looking for power get a PC because switch ain't for you, since the very beggining this console didn't claim to be powerful nor needed it, from my point of view consoles are about the avaiable games they have if they are good games or not, having huge graphics have never been a requirement for me since games are made to have fun, I feel quite absurd to just say some game/console is worse because of the graphics. With that said I do think for what the console is is powerful enought for me, so far the only demanding game I have is Zelda, and I got completly amazed with the graphics and specially with the rendering distance of the game is awesome.

The "overpricing" of the accessories, I do not know why do people start to complain about that for the switch, there is no difference with the rest of consoles, joycons are 80€ cause they are full of sensors and the controllers have been always on 60€ for new consoles since PS3 and I never saw anyone complaining about it.

And last thing to comment, people complain about the 32GB memory, well they could go with a bigger memory but then the prices would rise even more and since the physical games doesn't require space at all those 32 GB can last forever and my feelings are that are enought. Even more if consoles stick with such awful digital game prices that cost the same amount than the physical version of it, which renders the digital store nearly useless but for those games that are only avaiable throught digital purchase. Only if they start pricing like steam (for example) those 32 GB of memory might be short, very short but then I'd just go for some SD cards and problem solved.

Overall looks good for me, fun console, powerful enought for me and I can take it wherever I go.I has some shortage of titles to choose from but that should be fixed over time.

Thanks
    • spolsh's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Crosshair VI
      • CPU:
      • R7 1700
      • Memory:
      • Team Froup DDR4

The only really surprising things are that it's so expensive and has apparently shoddy build quality. It's the build quality I don't understand, Nintendo has always been the Tonka of kids electronics.

Registered+
    Thanks

same sh!t as the wii u ect nothing different , way too expensive for a tablet

Registered+
    Thanks

I genuinely don't know why Nintendo are putting so much effort into making a console do so much at once rather than concentrating on producing an amazing next-gen pure gaming console. Yes, the Wii was popular but for me their true gaming heritage died when the N64 did.

Registered+
    Thanks

i have to agree with the above, a great device for the kids but probably bit overpriced.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

Biggest selling point so far for me is the auto-drive in MK8.5, which will make the whole thing really appealing for the kids.

Haven't paid, but it's more interesting now I know about that.

Thanks

i wanted one but couldn't get one so decided to upgrade my ps4 to a pro version - it was 2 yrs old and started to do random things. anyway, i played my nephews switch with zelda and was impressed with it as a handheld console. nice size, crisp screen and played ok. i haven't used it as a console yet and the only game i really wanted was bomberman but i may build a pi arcade and download it on that. that said, in a fair few months, if prices come down or loads of good priced 2nd hand units become available, i may get one if i have enough spare cash. a larger 4k tv is my next purchase first. and doing up the garden.

Thanks

Has anyone with negative views actually got one?

I have over the years had Megadrive(inc 32x), Xbox, Gamecube, Xbox 360, Wii, PS3 and now have an Xbox one, Switch and the latest in a long line of gaming PC's (started on a toshiba t200 laptop with Wolfstein).

The Nintendo Switch is the best thing I have ever owned. I'm utterly in love with it. I play most of the time on my big screen(65") TV and would have no second thoughts recommending it to be used as such.

Registered+
    Thanks

1 How expensive it is
    2 How cheap the parts are inside
    3 How it bends in the dock when it gets hot

Thread Information