Thread: Nvidia widens gap in Q3 GPU market share, says JPR

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Nvidia widens gap in Q3 GPU market share, says JPR

Nvidia's discrete desktop GPU shipments were up 35 per cent from the previous quarter.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Bagpuss's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wi-Fi
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9-9900K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3400
      • Storage:
      • Gigabyte 512GB NVMe SSD, Crucial 1Tb NVMe SSD, 6Tb Seagate 7200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 2080 Black Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 850 RMx 850 Gold
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify C Copper Front Panel
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG UK850 27in 4K HDR Freesync/Gsync
      • Internet:
      • Three Mobile 4G Unlimited Data (35-45Mbit)

Re: Nvidia widens gap in Q3 GPU market share, says JPR

I really am beginning to despise the people at AMD's RTG for their shambles & failure of a GPU, Vega.

Their total incompetence in bringing a competitive GPU to market is costing us all dear.

Thanks
    • afiretruck's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X399 Designare Ex
      • CPU:
      • AMD Threadripper 1900X
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 32GB 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 2x 250GB NVMe + 2x 1TB SATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX Vega 64 + GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RMi 850
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R6
      • Operating System:
      • Linux Mint 19
      • Monitor(s):
      • Screeny

Quote Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
    I really am beginning to despise the people at AMD's RTG for their shambles & failure of a GPU, Vega.

Their total incompetence in bringing a competitive GPU to market is costing us all dear.
    The uArch that the Vega GPU chips are based off is revolutionary, and is leagues ahead of NVidia's Pascal (at least the Pascal that's present in GeForce. I haven't had a chance to work with the Quadro cards - way too expensive for what they are).

I have to wonder if the Vega uArch lends itself better to being smaller chips (1024 - 2048 cores) clocked a little slower, but with many chips packed together on Infinity Fabric (cheaper, more cores, lower power consumption). Maybe the big, fast, hot Vega GPUs we have is just a stop-gap before Navi is released and we get to see it really shine?

Either way, the technical advances that Vega brings are pretty damn exciting and we should consider ourselves lucky we still have some competition in the market to enable this.

I agree that NVidia are fleecing PC gamers right now, but it won't remain like that for long. If their GPUs are too expensive, then just don't buy them (my view for the last 3 years).

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

The Hexus article missed out this nugget of info PCPER posted:

https://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-...acturers-faces

Intel graphics market share decreased. AMD and Nvidia gained more marketshare in a market which had more sales than the last quarter.

That means more people are buying dGPUs for their systems and I suspect it is down to Ryzen probably not having an IGP,and more Intel systems using a dGPU.

Edit!!
    GPU attachment rates were up in Q3 2017, with 39.55 per cent of all PCs shipping with discrete GPUs, that's up 4.18 per cent.
    "AMD's notebook APU shipments were up 2.2 percent. Desktop discrete GPUs increased 16.1 per cent from last quarter, and notebook discrete shipments increased 5.2 per cent. AMD's total PC graphics shipments increased 7.6 per cent from the previous quarter."
    That indicates AMD desktop APU shipments have probably crashed,otherwise their marketshare would not have been flat.

It seems the market shares of Matrox and S3 have finally disappeared into the noise, leaving only Intel, AMD and NVIDIA represented in the breakdown of global GPU market share. In all cases the total amount of sales have gone up, which fits in with seasonal patterns and demonstrates that while the PC market may be wounded, it is far from dead. Intel's total GPU sales increased by 5% from last quarter, which translated to a loss of 3.2% of total market share. AMD saw a total increase of 7.6%, their desktop GPUs alone increased by 16.1%, however that was only enough to keep them at the same ~13% of the global GPU market. NVIDIA saw the biggest increase, a 29.5% jump in sales, which gives them just under 20% of the GPU market to call their own.
    Looking at the figures,its quite interesting,it shows that more people are equipping Intel systems with dGPUs and Ryzen having no IGP means more dGPU sales for both AMD and Nvidia. It might explain why Nvidia kind of likes Ryzen!!

So AMD and Nvidia have both increased dGPU sales,at the expensive of Intel but Nvidia got more of them,and I suspect a lot of the increase might even be down to Ryzen,as the Intel drop is nowhere as big as the increase in BOTH AMD and Nvidia sales.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 21-11-2017 at 07:13 PM.

Thanks
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Crucial P5 1TB (boot), Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION+ 560P
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H

Raven ridge is just what AMD needs to boost marketshare - it's got the ryzen touch, and bundles a GPU

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Looking at the figures,its quite interesting,it shows that more people are equipping Intel systems with dGPUs and Ryzen having no IGP means more dGPU sales for both AMD and Nvidia. It might explain why Nvidia kind of likes Ryzen!!

So AMD and Nvidia have both increased dGPU sales,at the expensive of Intel but Nvidia got more of them,and I suspect a lot of the increase might even be down to Ryzen,as the Intel drop is nowhere as big as the increase in BOTH AMD and Nvidia sales.
    AMD would need RavenRidge to get picked up heavily in bulk orders with the likes of Dell and Fujitsu etc; I wonder if Intel are still pulling shady deals to block that.

Also, with the IGP deal with Intel at least they'll get something, though it kind of feels like AMD are hobbling RR before it has a chance.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by afiretruck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post

The uArch that the Vega GPU chips are based off is revolutionary, and is leagues ahead of NVidia's Pascal (at least the Pascal that's present in GeForce. I haven't had a chance to work with the Quadro cards - way too expensive for what they are).

I have to wonder if the Vega uArch lends itself better to being smaller chips (1024 - 2048 cores) clocked a little slower, but with many chips packed together on Infinity Fabric (cheaper, more cores, lower power consumption). Maybe the big, fast, hot Vega GPUs we have is just a stop-gap before Navi is released and we get to see it really shine?

Either way, the technical advances that Vega brings are pretty damn exciting and we should consider ourselves lucky we still have some competition in the market to enable this.

I agree that NVidia are fleecing PC gamers right now, but it won't remain like that for long. If their GPUs are too expensive, then just don't buy them (my view for the last 3 years).

Doesn't matter how revolutionary it is if the performance is not there. Had Vega been released February I think it would have been OK - I might have bought one - however as it is the chip is large, expensive to make, and there are still no third party releases with better coolers.

Even if Vega starts performing well vs Pascal in new releases that is still only being competitive some two years after Pascal's launch and with Volta around the corner.

As for efficiency in smaller chips, there were a lot of rumours surrounding Vega 11 - even seeing reports of certification with South Korea's RRA in September - but nothing new for some two months now. I have to wonder if AMD got some samples back, and the performance relative to the cost of manufacture is too low to replace Polaris.

On the plus side for AMD, Epyc seems to be performing well. It is a shame they couldn't get the single socket Epyc out by now - if Scan's preorder 1P Epyc pricing is correct that really would have been the nail in the coffin of X299.
    CAPS LOCK IS NOT A BUTTON IT IS A WAY OF LIFE.

Thread Information