Thread: Nvidia heralds new age of intelligent medical instruments

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Nvidia heralds new age of intelligent medical instruments

Volta powered cinematic rendering can generate photorealistic images of your innards.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Nvidia heralds new age of intelligent medical instruments

Interesting article. As a practising interventional radiologist, I have a working knowledge of these types of technologies on a day-to-day basis.

After reading your article, however, I didn't really understand what Nvidia were actually promoting here as I do some of these things everyday anyway and other things mentioned I don't see the medical use for other than producing nice pretty pictures.

Anyway, having read the source, I think I have a better understanding... Essentially, the first medical image shown in the article is actually what I would call a multiplanar volume mapping and that means that the computer will look at an organ such as the prostate gland in different planes and delineate it's margins and work out its overall volume. This is useful, for example, to see if a tumour is growing, shrinking or staying the same when looking at a patient with multiple scans at various points during their treatment. Currently most radiologists would just look at the gland in one plane and measure if it is increasing in maximum dimension or they would manually do the job that this computer is automating but that would take a long time for every scan looked at. Where I work if we needed volume mapping then we would send the scan to a 3rd party to do it for us (at cost) as it would take me too long.

The second thing they are advertising their prowess at, is taking an organ such as the aorta and separating it from other organs so that it can be viewed in isolation. This is something I do everyday. The computer I use has a function to do it automatically but it is not very good. It often gets mixed up with what is aorta and other structures nearby. I therefore do perform this task manually as I can do it more accurately and with better results than the computer will do. My brain is better at working out where the blood vessel and where it is flowing and what it's margins are than the computer. Nvidia is claiming that their Volta GPU will do a better job.

The last thing they are advertising 'cinematic' just sounds a bit like nonsense to me. Using lighting effects to simulate the texture of organs will not improve diagnostic capabilities. The example they have shown above is in no way photorealistic to the real organs. They have applied a colour map to the 3d volumetric reconstruction which is 'bone' in nature. This makes the aorta and iliac artery aneurysms shown in the image look like bones. Common sense would tell you that arteries such as the aorta are red in reality. Not the colour of bones.

3. Received thanks from:

chrism (28-11-2017),Output (28-11-2017),peterb (28-11-2017),Xlucine (28-11-2017)

Registered+
    Thanks
    • souper's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF GAMING Z590-PLUS WIFI
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 11700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO - 3000MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS NVMe PCIe 3.0, 2 x 2TB HDD's
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 10GB EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 ULTRA GAMING
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM750x, Modular, Silent, 80PLUS GOLD
      • Case:
      • Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung C32JG5x 1920 x 1080 (32")
      • Internet:
      • 69 mb BT

Re: Nvidia heralds new age of intelligent medical instruments

That is such an awesome idea, hope they succeed with this..!
    β€œHe who controls the spice controls the universe.”
    ― Frank Herbert, Dune

Thread Information