Thread: Microsoft preparing low cost Surface tablet line for H2

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Microsoft preparing low cost Surface tablet line for H2

Bloomberg: these $400 tablets are designed to take the fight to the Apple iPad Pro.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Microsoft preparing low cost Surface tablet line for H2

Just put a proper SSD in it. MMC stuff is useless.

Make it a smaller pro, rather than specifically a cheaper/slower thing.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

It's an interesting decision from Microsoft - I don't disagree that a cheaper surface would be a great addition to the lineup, however the Surface line does not in any way compete with the iPad/Pro..

The iPad pro is purely a tablet, running a phone/tablet OS, designed for consumption and in no way functions as as laptop, whereas the Surface Pro is a true 2-in-1 which is really a laptop first, tablet second. The price comparison that people often try and make is rather incorrect too when you compare base models. The equivalent surface/iPad pro are usually the same price, or the surface comes out slightly cheaper.

SP5 m3 128gb edition + keyboard is regularly available for £700 or less (Currently £696 on amazon, but was £620 last week)
    Base 10" iPad pro + keyboard is £750 (and lower specification, half the memory)on offer at the moment, or £780ish direct from Apple

Obviously that is skewed a little by the fact that the surface is *always* on offer somewhere, whereas Apple rarely allow discounts more than 5% (ignoring grey market scammers like eGlobalCentral et al), but even at full price the price gap is minimal. The iPad pro is still a pretty pointless device that doesn't fit into any common category - it's too expensive to be a tablet, lacks the software to make it a useful laptop replacement..its just odd. The "normal" iPad is a much better proposition and is a great device. I own an iPad Air 2 and thats still my main consumption device, but my Surface Pro has completely replaced my laptop now as a productivity device. I did look at the iPad pro when purchasing my surface but it didn't solve any of the problems I was looking at - it really was/is just a bigger iPad with all the same limitations (and benefits).

As I say though, a cheaper surface device would be welcomed by many, as long as there are not *too* many compromises along the way.

Thanks
    • deepblue08's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z170X Ultra Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i7 6700K @ 4.2 + Noctua D15
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance 4x8GB @ 3000mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 950 PRO 256GB, Crucial MX500 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080Ti FTW3
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 750D
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 Pro
      • Internet:
      • DSL 50D/10U

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    It's an interesting decision from Microsoft - I don't disagree that a cheaper surface would be a great addition to the lineup, however the Surface line does not in any way compete with the iPad/Pro..

The iPad pro is purely a tablet, running a phone/tablet OS, designed for consumption and in no way functions as as laptop, whereas the Surface Pro is a true 2-in-1 which is really a laptop first, tablet second. The price comparison that people often try and make is rather incorrect too when you compare base models. The equivalent surface/iPad pro are usually the same price, or the surface comes out slightly cheaper.

SP5 m3 128gb edition + keyboard is regularly available for £700 or less (Currently £696 on amazon, but was £620 last week)
    Base 10" iPad pro + keyboard is £750 (and lower specification, half the memory)on offer at the moment, or £780ish direct from Apple

Obviously that is skewed a little by the fact that the surface is *always* on offer somewhere, whereas Apple rarely allow discounts more than 5% (ignoring grey market scammers like eGlobalCentral et al), but even at full price the price gap is minimal. The iPad pro is still a pretty pointless device that doesn't fit into any common category - it's too expensive to be a tablet, lacks the software to make it a useful laptop replacement..its just odd. The "normal" iPad is a much better proposition and is a great device. I own an iPad Air 2 and thats still my main consumption device, but my Surface Pro has completely replaced my laptop now as a productivity device. I did look at the iPad pro when purchasing my surface but it didn't solve any of the problems I was looking at - it really was/is just a bigger iPad with all the same limitations (and benefits).

As I say though, a cheaper surface device would be welcomed by many, as long as there are not *too* many compromises along the way.
    I think MS knows its Surface products are not competing with iPad Pros, but they want to take a bite out of that market as well. MS realized that cheap tablets for basic usage (internet browsing, checking email, reading) is a money-making segment of the market and now wants to be there.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by gagaga View Post
    Just put a proper SSD in it. MMC stuff is useless.
    Are they using MMC? UFS 2.1/3.0 is sufficiently affordable, compact, and fast. No reason they couldn't use it over MMC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks
    • DWhitley's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V PRO
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 2600k (4.5GHz) with Corsair Hydro H60
      • Memory:
      • G-Skill RipjawsX 16GB 1600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Crucial SSD M4 128GB, x2 3TB WD Red, x2 6TB WD Red Pro
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI HD 6870 HAWK
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Liberty 400w (temporary - prior to upgrading case)
      • Case:
      • Antec P180 with x2 Scythe Gentle Typhoons
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 220
      • Internet:
      • BT

"As the current Surface Pro can last approx 13.5 hours on a charge"

Mine didn't, nowhere near.

Thanks

The Celeron is the chip of slow death!
    Mixing Celeron and Win10 results in a computer so slow it makes me scream watching it dragging itself along performing the simplest tasks!

Thread Information