Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Google to appeal against €4.3 billion EU antitrust fine

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Google to appeal against €4.3 billion EU antitrust fine

Says Android is behind innovation, and falling prices, "creating more choice for everyone".
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Ozaron's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X570 Unify
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Patriot Blackout @ 3800 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Toshiba X300 4TB (2), Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire 5700XT, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12-II 620w
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • W10 Enterprise 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte G27QC
      • Internet:
      • 2.5 MB/s ↓ 0.86 MB/s ↑ ~20ms

Re: Google to appeal against €4.3 billion EU antitrust fine

So when do we sue them for listening in on the microphone of every Android device and harvesting advertising potential with it?

Thanks
    • atemporal's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell ownbrand
      • CPU:
      • i5-2500
      • Memory:
      • 4GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 160GB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • you're kidding right?
      • PSU:
      • 300W OEM Dell
      • Case:
      • Dell Optiplex 990
      • Operating System:
      • windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Some small 17" dell thing
      • Internet:
      • yes I has the internet

given that half the time I use my phone is when I'm curling one out, and the limited range of noises that go with it - they are welcome to listen in all they want. Believe me they'll not want to for long.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ozaron View Post
    So when do we sue them for listening in on the microphone of every Android device and harvesting advertising potential with it?
    That has never been proven and if every android phone was listening and siphoning data I think far more than just a couple of grumbly forum people would be in uproar.

I think this should be appealed as Google are trying to prevent the cataclysmic breakdown of the Android product by making sure it is kept within a strict boundary. I don't doubt there are aggressive incentives to make sure Google Apps stay on but I also think that's part of their Google Play Store certification for a handset. You get this but this comes with it part and parcel. If they don't want that, don't use Android and make your own custom firmware.

However, if this leads to manufacturers being allowed to create their own roms and Google being forced to allow Play store on any of these (literally) homebrew firmwares then I dread the Android of the future. If this does happen I can see users having to navigate a minefield of different versions and forks of android and will contribute further to manufacturers not supporting a phone even quicker because security updates would be harder to integrated across the spectrum. This kind of ruling could set a precedent for Androids future and cripple it if Googles hands get tied.

Personally, Android should have been taken out the public space around v4 and then become a solely owned and produced OS under the Google Umbrella only. Forks can be done from the v3 onwards but it should have stayed solely in Googles namespace. Then there are the arguments of "What about Cyanogenmod and OxygenOS and others?", yeah so what? I've used both and neither perform as well as stock android and some of the features are cool but not enough for me to go "Wow, way to go guys, you made something different".

And I said on another thread from another news outlet, what about Windows Mobile? If it was still around, would they have been sued because they lace and integrate Bing everywhere!

I find this:
    has prevented manufacturers wishing to pre-install Google apps from selling even a single smart mobile device running on alternative versions of Android that were not approved by Google (so-called "Android forks").
    The biggest load of horse manure in that, what other major versions are there or are they just wanting to maintain their own in house Sony/Samsung specific version.

This just sounds like some whining children didn't get it the exact way they wanted so are tattling on the teacher.
    Last edited by Tabbykatze; 19-07-2018 at 12:41 PM.

Thanks

I've kind of got multiple views on this.

• Google brought this on themselves by basically saying if you want the google store, and basically you need the google store, you have to have all our other stuff too, they actually changed their policies a short while ago to make it more in line with what they've been fined for. But instead of mandating and enforcing updates (they're starting to get better with this) as part of the agreement they focused on making sure their 'data mining' tools are installed so they can get their advertising revenue. We all know the real reason google made android, it wasn't to be all helpful and make a mobile OS, we had plenty of good ones which could have been developed further, it was about advertising and data gathering which is their core business.

• Microsoft got fined for doing the same 'forced bundling' so it's only fair that anybody else doing it on a 'major' platform has the same treatment.

• The less Google stuff in android the better imo, they can gain a LOT more information from a mobile phone than a pc for most people these days and I'm quite sensitive about my personal data, not Saracen level but I do run protect my personal information.

• When's Apple going to get a fine... they have a completely walled garden which prevents you from even changing the default browser last time I checked and even if you do it only skins safari. You have no way of installing apps outside of their store without jailbreaking the phone (is that still possible), at least on android you can install apps of your choosing and configure to your preferences.

• Now if the EU can just get round to forcing them to remove their 'forced consent' approach to GDPR to use their platform that would be great....

Thanks
    • Hoonigan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570 ACE
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2x 2TB Gigabyte NVMe 4.0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3070Ti Gaming Pro
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 750W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Crystal Series 680X
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator Z35P + ASUS ROG PG279Q
      • Internet:
      • Giganet (City Fibre) 900/900

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    • When's Apple going to get a fine... they have a completely walled garden which prevents you from even changing the default browser last time I checked and even if you do it only skins safari. You have no way of installing apps outside of their store without jailbreaking the phone (is that still possible), at least on android you can install apps of your choosing and configure to your preferences.
    I could be entirely wrong about this, but I believe it's different because Apple aren't forcing any manufacturers to accept these terms. They install the said software onto their own devices and only their own devices.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    I doubt Apple will ever get a fine because they "manufacture" their own phones so the suit would be themselves getting ansy at themselves

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    The biggest load of horse manure in that, what other major versions are there.
    Surely that's the point? Amazon aside there aren't any, largely because Google won't let you sell them alongside their version of Android.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Hoonigan View Post
    I could be entirely wrong about this, but I believe it's different because Apple aren't forcing any manufacturers to accept these terms. They install the said software onto their own devices and only their own devices.
    And what's forcing manufacturers to make google phones in the first place?

Surely, if you choose to use a product, you have to adhere to their T&Cs?
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Well, it's almost enough to make me a fan of the EU.

It's almost too good to be true - a vicious spat between two of the organisations / institutions I most despise on Earth. If I was to recommend to Kim Jong Un where to test his next nuke, I'd be hard pushed to choose between Google and the EU commission. If I ever get a happy genie offering me three wishes for doing him/her/it a solid, they're both in deep effluent.

11. Received thanks from:

Hoonigan (19-07-2018)

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    The biggest load of horse manure in that, what other major versions are there.
    Surely that's the point? Amazon aside there aren't any, largely because Google won't let you sell them alongside their version of Android.
    Google cannot stop them, Google does not own Android, they only bought the trademark and the OS is open source, anyone can use it and alter it in any way they like.
    What Google does control is it's own Android services, to use it's services you have to include search and chrome, for doing this you get access to the Playstore, and tbh what good is an OS without an app store.

Thanks
    • Hoonigan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570 ACE
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2x 2TB Gigabyte NVMe 4.0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3070Ti Gaming Pro
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 750W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Crystal Series 680X
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator Z35P + ASUS ROG PG279Q
      • Internet:
      • Giganet (City Fibre) 900/900

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Well, it's almost enough to make me a fan of the EU.

It's almost too good to be true - a vicious spat between two of the organisations / institutions I most despise on Earth. If I was too recommend to Kim Jong Un where to test his next nuke, I'd be hard pushed to choose between Google and the EU commission. If I ever get a happy genie offering me three wishes for doing him/her/it a solid, they're both in deep effluent.
    Wow Saracen, wow!

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hoonigan View Post
    Wow Saracen, wow!
    I know, I know, I need to get off the fence and say what I really think.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    I know, I know, I need to get off the fence and say what I really think.
    There are no stops on the Saracen traing to hating Google and the EU. Can tell which way you voted

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

Quote Originally Posted by Wh00pS View Post
    Google cannot stop them, Google does not own Android, they only bought the trademark and the OS is open source, anyone can use it and alter it in any way they like.
    What Google does control is it's own Android services, to use it's services you have to include search and chrome, for doing this you get access to the Playstore, and tbh what good is an OS without an app store.
    Google HAS stopped them, the OS isn't really open source as they've added so much to their proprietary binary blob and the open source version doesn't really function without it.

On top of that they've told you that if you want to make Google Android phones you can't also make other android phones. So you'd have to put alternative app store functionality together overnight to try to compete.

It's like coca cola saying that if you sell their drinks you can't sell anyone elses or your own.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    It's like coca cola saying that if you sell their drinks you can't sell anyone elses or your own.
    But since they seem to own most of the world, you're not exactly limited in choice...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information