Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Samsung launches the Galaxy Note9 with 6.4-inch screen

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Samsung launches the Galaxy Note9 with 6.4-inch screen

Promises all day battery, great performance, bumper storage capacity, new S Pen.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • mtyson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-B85M-HD3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 4790T
      • Memory:
      • 12GB
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk 128GB SSD + Kingston 500GB SSD + NAS etc
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Nitro+
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 430W
      • Case:
      • Zalman Z9 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 31.5-inch VA QHD monitor
      • Internet:
      • 100MB Virgin fibre

Re: Samsung launches the Galaxy Note9 with 6.4-inch screen

Here is a screenshot of the full specs

Thanks

Entry price of $1000 (that will be £1000 then...).... I'm sorry but who in their right minds thinks that sort of price is 'acceptable' for a mobile phone.

I don't care how much stuff they shove into it, there's no way on this planet I would pay more than I would for a mid/high laptop etc, for around £1000 I can get a i5 8GB surface pro etc which would be a hell of a lot more productive.

4. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (10-08-2018)

chj
    Thanks
    • chj's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6X58D-E
      • CPU:
      • Intel I7 950
      • Memory:
      • 12GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • SATA SSD/HDD combo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA GTX 780Ti

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    Entry price of $1000 (that will be £1000 then...).... I'm sorry but who in their right minds thinks that sort of price is 'acceptable' for a mobile phone.

I don't care how much stuff they shove into it, there's no way on this planet I would pay more than I would for a mid/high laptop etc, for around £1000 I can get a i5 8GB surface pro etc which would be a hell of a lot more productive.
    Me neither but when you consider the device has the functionality of a decent camera, phone and computer (albeit nothing like a laptop) all in one with top tier internals and sweet amoled display i can understand how the price gets there. Add in the fact most people seem content to put everything on finance/pay monthly then i guess there will be a market for it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chj View Post
    Me neither but when you consider the device has the functionality of a decent camera, phone and computer (albeit nothing like a laptop) all in one with top tier internals and sweet amoled display i can understand how the price gets there. Add in the fact most people seem content to put everything on finance/pay monthly then i guess there will be a market for it.
    2x12MP (one wide, one zoom basically) rear camera with OIS isn't exactly high end on a mobile phone these days and apart from the pen there is nothing on this device that can't be done on a phone at 1/4 of the price

7. Received thanks from:

Thanks
    • outwar6010's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asus Crosshair x370
      • CPU:
      • 1800x @ 4ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group Dark Pro Edition 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHZ
      • Storage:
      • More than most
      • Graphics card(s):
      • evga 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • corsair ax 760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900d
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • hp omen 32
      • Internet:
      • Bt infinite

So high end products in your opinion shouldn't exist? Looking at the specs of this phone; there are worse ways to part with a grand.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

It looks like another by the numbers "high end" phone.

Edit!!

Also what is with the fail SIM trays with these phones. Plenty of phones in the Asian market do dual SIMs AND a microSD card slot too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by outwar6010 View Post
    So high end products in your opinion shouldn't exist? Looking at the specs of this phone; there are worse ways to part with a grand.
    It doesn't have anything that actually warrants such a high price and I would put money on two thirds of the price being 'markup'... and before you even say it I have the same opinion of the iPhone too.

11. Received thanks from:

Thanks
    • Hoonigan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570 ACE
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2x 2TB Gigabyte NVMe 4.0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3070Ti Gaming Pro
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 750W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Crystal Series 680X
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator Z35P + ASUS ROG PG279Q
      • Internet:
      • Giganet (City Fibre) 900/900

Quote Originally Posted by outwar6010 View Post
    You said nothing of the sort regarding the iPhone X when that was released with a £999 price tag.

Samsung's only doing what Apple already have, priced their products at a position where people will buy them because they want them.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

It doesn't have anything that actually warrants such a high price and I would put money on two thirds of the price being 'markup'... and before you even say it I have the same opinion of the iPhone too.
    Ah, but does it have a notch?

That essential piece of information Is missing!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

There's going to be an interesting comparison with the S8+ as it's pretty similar. The simple fact is that when you start out with smartphones (or any product), there's a lot of variety from different manufacturers. Then they all converge on those characteristics which do well with the public and move away from those which don't. So I really want a high end phone with a slide out keyboard but those models don't do as well and so I'm left with these on screen ones and resisting the urge to lauch one at the wall.... again (bad way to spend a few hundred quid). The end result is a distinct lack of variety as they all know what does well and a lack of will or need to try new things which are outside the envelope as the "winning" formula has already been determined. So what wins? Well, having two cameras with OIS which is what every manufacturer would like to do but can't because they can't buy the quantity to create the economies of scale required to make it economically viable. So the bigger companies get the best kit and so their formula is marginally better.

As for it costing a grand, my determination of whether this is sensible is quite basic - cost per year and regularity of use. I use it repeatedly though the day for reading websites (the PCs at work are so poor they actually crash when loading a basic website), research, a notebook, reference and for a camera / photoalbum. I have a DSLR and my phone and when I'm on holiday I tend to use the phone. Why? Because it does the job 80% as well as a point and shoot, it has all the photos on there and shares them for easy access and makes them searchable as well. The DSLR is better for artsy fartsy stuff but isn't practical and isn't as good for documentary metadata.

So at a grand that's £500/year. Which works out at way less than £2/day. I'm sure many people spend that on coffee or lunch. The only difference is your smartphone doesn't end up as a skid.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    There's going to be an interesting comparison with the S8+ as it's pretty similar. The simple fact is that when you start out with smartphones (or any product), there's a lot of variety from different manufacturers. Then they all converge on those characteristics which do well with the public and move away from those which don't. So I really want a high end phone with a slide out keyboard but those models don't do as well and so I'm left with these on screen ones and resisting the urge to lauch one at the wall.... again (bad way to spend a few hundred quid). The end result is a distinct lack of variety as they all know what does well and a lack of will or need to try new things which are outside the envelope as the "winning" formula has already been determined. So what wins? Well, having two cameras with OIS which is what every manufacturer would like to do but can't because they can't buy the quantity to create the economies of scale required to make it economically viable. So the bigger companies get the best kit and so their formula is marginally better.

As for it costing a grand, my determination of whether this is sensible is quite basic - cost per year and regularity of use. I use it repeatedly though the day for reading websites (the PCs at work are so poor they actually crash when loading a basic website), research, a notebook, reference and for a camera / photoalbum. I have a DSLR and my phone and when I'm on holiday I tend to use the phone. Why? Because it does the job 80% as well as a point and shoot, it has all the photos on there and shares them for easy access and makes them searchable as well. The DSLR is better for artsy fartsy stuff but isn't practical and isn't as good for documentary metadata.

So at a grand that's £500/year. Which works out at way less than £2/day. I'm sure many people spend that on coffee or lunch. The only difference is your smartphone doesn't end up as a skid.
    Or spend less than £300 and do all the same things at less than 50p a day. I even use my phone as a wireless receiver to back up pictures from my Fuji,etc. It actually cost me £125(half price from £250),so its been 17p a day,and its survived being dropped a few times,high humidity,high heat,etc.

Remember,£500 to £600 used to be high end phone money only a few years ago.

Personally I would rather save £700 to £800 over two years. So over 10 years that is £3500 to £4000. I could buy a few "better cameras" for that kind of money! I have a Canon S95 compact with a 1/1.7" sensor which cost me £105 new which lasted 5 years,ie,under 6p a day. Since, cheapo phones do a good enough job for basic pics and social media,I find the high end phones not enough of an improvement for the increase in price.

But then what do you expect when a "high end" smartphone has $50 worth of cameras - that is how much the cameras on an iPhone X cost in total. The S9+ cameras cost $45 in total. I am not paying £500 to £800 more just for $20 to $30 more in cameras over a cheaper phone.

Sure if you want a shiny statement,those expensive phones have it over cheaper ones,but it doesn't bother me.

Most camera phones are limited to similar FOV,and DoF. But even a 50MM equivalent isn't special since a Mi A1 has that and is under £170,so as a result you can more or less get the "same kind of pictures" on a cheaper phone.

No wonder Huawei has gone from nowhere to the second biggest phone company by volume - they even taught Samsung a lesson,and actually made a smartphone which wasn't actually that bad in low light,and used a 75MM equivalent lens,with a useful telephoto focal length. Huawei might even make the first foldable phone.

Samsung and Apple are not even trying and I hope the newer companies come and push them,so they wake up. Complacent money grabbers they are - more worried about margins and increasing prices. That is why their flagships sold less than before,since they seem more worried about margins,and hence increased prices to compensate.

Its why I stopped buying expensive phones years ago. They are increasingly a con IMHO,and should be doing far more for what is a lot of money for a disposable product with a short lifespan.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 10-08-2018 at 02:40 AM.

Thanks
    • Hoonigan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570 ACE
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2x 2TB Gigabyte NVMe 4.0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3070Ti Gaming Pro
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 750W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Crystal Series 680X
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator Z35P + ASUS ROG PG279Q
      • Internet:
      • Giganet (City Fibre) 900/900

CAT, you make a strong point about the cameras, and £4000 would buy you an epic DSLR camera that would easily last the next 8-10 years if looked after, but for me it's convenience.

The camera in my iPhone X is absolutely amazing for a phone, but more importantly, it's with me everywhere, and always ready.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Or spend less than £300 and do all the same things at less than 50p a day. I even use my phone as a wireless receiver to back up pictures from my Fuji,etc. It actually cost me £125(half price from £250),so its been 17p a day,and its survived being dropped a few times,high humidity,high heat,etc.

Its why I stopped buying expensive phones years ago. They are increasingly a con IMHO,and should be doing far more for what is a lot of money for a disposable product with a short lifespan.
    You make a good point. For me the difference is that I actually make a lot of use of the camera and watch quite a lot of videos and so the decent screen gets used as well. I absolutely agree there's a good argument to be made for a solid mind-range phone for most people. For me, I find the extra stuff is worth it. What isn't worth it is the stupid shiny delicate "ooh look at me!" rubbish. I'd much prefer something like the S8 Active with a bigger battery and more robust exterior but they just don't seem to be releasing them in the UK.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Hoonigan View Post
    CAT, you make a strong point about the cameras, and £4000 would buy you an epic DSLR camera that would easily last the next 8-10 years if looked after, but for me it's convenience.

The camera in my iPhone X is absolutely amazing for a phone, but more importantly, it's with me everywhere, and always ready.
    You make a good point. For me the difference is that I actually make a lot of use of the camera and watch quite a lot of videos and so the decent screen gets used as well. I absolutely agree there's a good argument to be made for a solid mind-range phone for most people. For me, I find the extra stuff is worth it. What isn't worth it is the stupid shiny delicate "ooh look at me!" rubbish. I'd much prefer something like the S8 Active with a bigger battery and more robust exterior but they just don't seem to be releasing them in the UK.
    My main issue is the expensive phones don't have expensive enough cameras for my liking - $45 to $50 is not enough of a spend on such an expensive device for me. Now imagine a $100 to $150 spend on the cameras. Its why even though what Huawei did was not perfect software wise,they seemed to have made an effort. The P20 PRO is amazing for a camera phone in low light and it has a good tele lens setup. Its the first high end phone which has interested me in a very long time.

Also after trying out the Xiaomi Mi A1 I am just shocked how much budget phones have moved forward,especially in the rest of the world. I saw Huawei phones on holiday which had dual back and front cameras for well under £200,with 6" screens,4GB of RAM,64GB of storage,4000mAh battery,etc.

The issue is also my Canon S95 has been with me for years(but I dropped it and boshed the lens AF motor so need to order a replacement bit now),and it was the same with my previous compacts too - they used to reside in my coat pocket or bag,so I had a camera on me even in the era of crap cameras on phones. Plus TBH,things like external batteries,selfie sticks,etc hardly are space saving devices especially with modern phones becoming larger and larger in surface area.

Also TBH,as a person who is genuinely interested in photography,the times when I need to use the compact are scenarios where a camera phone won't to do anyway and its why the utterly slow progress is saddening for me. There is so much more they could do with a £700 to £1000 budget.

Even though things like OIS,sensor based IS and EIS are useful,they are not a genuine replacement for larger photodetectors,apertures,etc since they rely on the object being perfectly still,which has been the issue with IS since the first consumer camera,the Nikon 700VR in 1994,which had it.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 10-08-2018 at 11:33 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post

Remember,£500 to £600 used to be high end phone money only a few years ago.

Personally I would rather save £700 to £800 over two years. So over 10 years that is £3500 to £4000. I could buy a few "better cameras" for that kind of money! I have a Canon S95 compact with a 1/1.7" sensor which cost me £105 new which lasted 5 years,ie,under 6p a day. Since, cheapo phones do a good enough job for basic pics and social media,I find the high end phones not enough of an improvement for the increase in price.

But then what do you expect when a "high end" smartphone has $50 worth of cameras - that is how much the cameras on an iPhone X cost in total. The S9+ cameras cost $45 in total. I am not paying £500 to £800 more just for $20 to $30 more in cameras over a cheaper phone.

Sure if you want a shiny statement,those expensive phones have it over cheaper ones,but it doesn't bother me.

Most camera phones are limited to similar FOV,and DoF. But even a 50MM equivalent isn't special since a Mi A1 has that and is under £170,so as a result you can more or less get the "same kind of pictures" on a cheaper phone.

No wonder Huawei has gone from nowhere to the second biggest phone company by volume - they even taught Samsung a lesson,and actually made a smartphone which wasn't actually that bad in low light,and used a 75MM equivalent lens,with a useful telephoto focal length. Huawei might even make the first foldable phone.

Samsung and Apple are not even trying and I hope the newer companies come and push them,so they wake up. Complacent money grabbers they are - more worried about margins and increasing prices. That is why their flagships sold less than before,since they seem more worried about margins,and hence increased prices to compensate.

Amen. term "high end" is so over used. predominantly used by people trying to justify their expensive purchases or companies trying to distract very same people from hugh margins they apply on these products. The lack of innovation from Apple / Samsung is startling...it's all about playing safe, using psychological tricks to fuel consumerism - all boils down to profits these days. why not?! ...people just part with their money too easily...credit (cards) is too easy to get...debt is growing...jolly good. The jump you mentioned from £500 to £1k and absolutely nothing that justifies this except pure greed is just pistaking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information