Thread: AMD 2018 Raven Ridge APU refresh confirmed

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

AMD 2018 Raven Ridge APU refresh confirmed

Meanwhile HP leaks Ryzen 5 2600H and Ryzen 7 2800H clock speeds.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: AMD 2018 Raven Ridge APU refresh confirmed

Think you may be getting ahead of yourselves here - wouldn't Raven Ridge 2017 be the original 2200G and 2400G, and the Raven Ridge 2018 be the more energy efficient 2200GE and 2400GE that appeared quietly a month or so later, mainly intended for OEMs / small form factor stuff? That would mean that we have had out lot of Raven Ridge for this year, Would also make sense, as although these were still in silica Ryzen 1 parts, they got the 2 name convention as AMD knew they would be on sale alongside the other Ryzen 2 series.

Thanks

If we're going on lunch dates and not availability then, no. The 2200G and 2400G launched back in Febuary 2018 and the 2200GE and 2400GE launched in April 2018.

I'm guessing the article means the Raven Ridge from 2017 was the 2500U and 2700U that launch in October of that year.

EDIT: Although i have to admit the article really confused me, maybe I'm having another dummy day though.
    Last edited by Corky34; 23-08-2018 at 01:18 PM.

Thanks

Note that the final slide with the testing details says that the Raven Ridge 2018 has not been released yet.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    If we're going on lunch dates and not availability then, no. The 2200G and 2400G launched back in Febuary 2018 and the 2200GE and 2400GE launched in April 2018.

I'm guessing the article means the Raven Ridge from 2017 was the 2500U and 2700U that launch in October of that year.

EDIT: Although i have to admit the article really confused me, maybe I'm having another dummy day though.
    I think it might be you are a tad peckish.

6. Received thanks from:

Corky34 (23-08-2018)

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Dragonstongue's system
      • Motherboard:
      • M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II x4 955BE @4.2Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Gskill 1866 9,10,9,28,42 1.5v
      • Storage:
      • MX 200 500gb primary MX100 256gb secondary,WD EZEX blue sata 6gb 1tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI TFIII 7870 OC 1gb 1245 core 1560 memory
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic G650....HX750 (old)
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung P2570HD
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/2mb

U based ones are "original" based on Ryzen 1xxx
    2200/2400G (technically the only 2 desktop APU from Ryzen thus far)
    are the prior to enhanced version which Ryzen 2xxx have available (that is XFR2 and PB2) the "new ones" are the 2600/2800H which likely will have all the things Ryzen 2xxx have but in a lower wattage/TDP format

U are Ultra Portable (specific laptop/mobile design more or less, are directly Ryzen 1xxx based)
    released 26 october 2017 for Ryzen 2500U/2700U
    Pro model (2500/2700U) launched late 2017 into 2Q 2018 (no official date I can see, though laptop only anyways ^.^)

Ryzen 2200/2300/2300U (and Pro for the 2300U) launched similar time frame though the 2200U was for sure January 2018)
    the G ones are graphics enabled Ryzen
    GE models are the "same" that I can see as far as amount of cache etc, though they did lower TDP (35w vs 45-65w)
    with lower CPU clock rates vs G moniker..GPU portion same clock speed though tighter wattage/TDP range likely means will not run as fast as often)

The desktop ones which currently are really only the 2200/2400G pretty much launched 2018 February/April/May
    highest performance of these (currently) are the 2200/2400G (launch February 2018)
    slowest of these the GE versions were launched in April and May 2018

So, they are "correct" in one aspect to state Raven Ridge 2018 did NOT launch yet, because all of the Raven Ridge ones released thus far are either 100% Ryzen 1xxx based or have a bit of what would become Ryzen 2xxx "boiled in" but all of them technically are derived from Ryzen 2017 models (14nm not 12nm, some where enhanced a wee bit of course, but not to the same level as Ryzen 2xxx desktop cpu were (slightly enhanced IPC etc)

IMO likely RR 2600/2800H are based 100% on Ryzen 2xxx (far as I know technically ARE 2018 model year on 12nm.
    even though some of the U/G/GE were launched late 2017 and 1Q2018, they still are 2017 model year, so is not exactly lying about anything)

(14nm enhanced however they want to describe that...I seriously seriously doubt it, but would it not be neat if they made them 7nm to "test the waters" before imminent launch of fall 2018 and 2019 for the highest performance cpu and gpu..like said I seriously seriously doubt it, but they really did not say if built on 14nm 12nm or whatever at this point either)

Registered+
    Thanks

@dragonstongue:

I agree 7nm apu 2018 aint gonna happen, but its not impossible.

u could argue that the current apu is more advanced than ryzen1, despite being the ~cheapest zen module in the range. For $100 u get zen and vega in an 2200g apu. Not much change from $1k for any other zen vega ecosystem.

Just saying, I dont think amd is as religious about only offering the latest to the hi end.

Registered+
    Thanks

Further, nothing says both processors have to be same node.

We know 7nm vega exists and is being trialed and due for release in what little remains of 2018 on professional cards.

We also know the biggest drag on vega has been HBM supplies, which apu vega needs not. They have the incentive that there is no such limit on Apu Vega chip sales.

It would mean they could immediately go into unhindered hi volume production of vega 7nm chips, and power considerations make 7nm vega VERY desirable for mobile apu.

Dunno, but it seems logical that one production line is better than two, so the 14nm Zen used on current apuS seems likely to be switched to the current 12nm Zen node.

I think any military strategist (lisa included imo) would say now is a time for amd to toss the rule book, and go for intels jugular. Profit's only relevance is to strengthen the all out offensive.

You dont neglect a routed enemy. You pursue and destroy them. The apu is their best chance of eliminating both nvidia and intel from huge bread and butter segments - sub dgpu laptops and entry desktop. Even 12nm zen & 7nm vega would be unassailable.

Again, strategy dictates you attack the flanks and hold or give way at the center. The apu attacks their flanks - their bread and butter.

The apu shifts the battleground to where amd's strength as the only maker of gpu & cpu really shines.

an apu with 7nm vega would be in a class of its own for a very wide ambit of workloads. It is amd that would be the monopolist in that category.

Thanks
    • Sumanji's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C TG
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GK950F 34" (3440x1440 @144Hz)
      • Internet:
      • Verizon FiOS (1Gb / 1Gb)

I just want a Ryzen APU inside a chassis that resembles the Razer Blade / Surface Laptop / XPS 13 / MBP... when will this happen?
    Last edited by Sumanji; 26-08-2018 at 06:43 PM.

Thanks
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 EVo 500GB | Corsair MP510 960GB | 2 x WD 4TB spinners
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sappihre R7 260X 1GB (sic)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic)
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x ViewSonic 27" 1440p

Quote Originally Posted by Sumanji View Post
    I just want a Ryzen APU inside a chassis that resembles the Razer Blade / Surface Laptiop / MBP... when will this happen?
    Business-class is here though as HP have two EliteBooks. The 14" HP EliteBook 745 G5 at 1.54 kg:
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-Eli....316656.0.html

and the 15.6" HP EliteBook 755 G5 at 1.78 kg:
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-Eli....317512.0.html

AFAIK, Lenovo only have ThinkPad E's so far. No correct that, E's and A's but neither is an ultrabook.

So no consumer premium ultrabooks but a couple of business-class ones are available.

Thanks
    • Sumanji's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C TG
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GK950F 34" (3440x1440 @144Hz)
      • Internet:
      • Verizon FiOS (1Gb / 1Gb)

Quote Originally Posted by kompukare View Post
    So no consumer premium ultrabooks but a couple of business-class ones are available.
    Cool thanks for those links... I guess the wait continues

Surface Laptop 2 with a Ryzen APU would probably be an insta-buy for me...

Banned - repeated insults to other members
    Thanks

I just want a Ryzen APU inside a chassis that resembles the Razer Blade / Surface Laptop / XPS 13 / MBP... when will this happen?
    I get what you mean. A lot of us are waiting for it to appear in a premium ultrabook 2-in-1. The closest and best one right now is the HP Envy X360 13z which is selling like hotcakes world wide. HP USA is still listing/selling it and appears in stock. I can vouch for it cos I had a hands on with it. https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-envy-x360-13z-touch-laptop-3ec92av-1

But in my country, its been very odd. It was a Harvey Norman exclusive around late last month. I spotted it by chance and had a short hands on play time with it in the retail store. Beautiful and solid, yet lightweight and premium quality. But when I dropped by one week later, it was completely sold out. Even the display set was sold, citing overwhelming response. They said they will re-stock in September but when I dropped by a couple of days ago, there was no updates.

Lisa Su had recently remarked that many of the OEMs in the consumer space, which I take to include the laptop segment, including HP, were out of stock but AMD has or is quickly working to re-stock them.

I wouldn't hold my breath on the other OEMs. Razer is too small a player and probably fears the Intel marketing machine and its "I might mysteriously remove the rebates and discounts you know" system.

Dell is notorious for being in cahoots with Intel. A decade ago, Intel was fined $2 billion plus for bribing Dell. Obivously nothing has changed as a Dell senior exec recently commented that Intel had a larger breadth of products including higher TDP 35W-65W CPUs for laptops. While arguably true, I don't see why Dell cannot introduce the 15W AMD APUs into the Dell XPS 13. Instead, see the ridiculous Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 refresh where they introduced the dual core rubbish Intel i3 with 4GB RAM 128GB SSD running Ubuntu as a "budget" alternative. Its anti-monopolistic BS from Dell/Intel.

The most important thing is for consumers to vote with their wallets. Boycott Intel.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kompukare View Post
    I just want a Ryzen APU inside a chassis that resembles the Razer Blade / Surface Laptiop / MBP... when will this happen?
    Business-class is here though as HP have two EliteBooks. The 14" HP EliteBook 745 G5 at 1.54 kg:
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-Eli....316656.0.html

and the 15.6" HP EliteBook 755 G5 at 1.78 kg:
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-Eli....317512.0.html

AFAIK, Lenovo only have ThinkPad E's so far. No correct that, E's and A's but neither is an ultrabook.

Not true! HP Envy x360 13z is the best of the bunch! https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-envy-x360-13z-touch-laptop-3ec92av-1

Thanks

Also Microsoft probably doesn't want to waste goodwill & political capital with Intel given that they are already going all in with Qualcomm as the lower cost alternative. Hence the Surface line is probably unlikely to get the AMD treatment. Ditto with Apple. Both have small market shares anyway.

Also, of greater implication is the huge statement being made by HP. The HP Envy X360 13z is available ONLY with AMD Ryzen APUs. They've discontinued Intel CPUs for this 2nd from top-of-the-line laptop product (HP Spectre range is top). No Intel option. Only the larger heavier HP Envy 15 series gives a choice of AMD or Intel. That tells you a lot - That in the premium ultralight segment, AMD is by far the superior engineering and technical solution when TDP constraints are stringent.

HP has the most balls among the OEMs so far. Its also reflected in HPE's servers going all in with AMD's Epyc CPUs so far. I've got great respect for HP in that regard.

Thread Information