Thread: Nintendo Switch with greater portability in the works

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Nintendo Switch with greater portability in the works

This smaller and cheaper Switch could be a replacement to the Nintendo 3DS line.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Re: Nintendo Switch with greater portability in the works

Sounds like a good move - I assume this is the new console that was rumoured last year...and this fit's Nintendo's MO perfectly in terms of releasing v1 hardware and then a v2 which is smaller/less featured to cut the cost a little. A bit like the 3Ds and then 2DS, or DS and DSLite.

Not something that will likely interest me directly, as I find the switch portable enough as is, but as I very rarely actually play with my Switch in docked mode...I can certainly see how an even more portable, non dockable version would be appealing. Particularly if its some £100 or so cheaper.

Interesting!

Bagnaj97

Hopefully they'll sell some sort of adapter to play it on a tv etc, that's also backwards compatible with the existing Switch. I'd love a second dock for another TV in the house, but they're hideously expensive for what they are.

Thanks

7nm could make this a pretty good product. I won't be too impressed by the same crap in a different box. If it has 7nm soc and plays tegrazone games/googleplay android stuff, I might buy this. These are not negotiable however. It should be a bare minimum with an NV soc inside it. So many more games you can get cheaply on android, if you don't have these, forget it. Now that 7nm is basically on top of us, I can't buy anything else. PERIOD. 8700k/1070ti last things I buy that are not 7nm (or better...LOL) in chips. There will be massive watts/heat drops on 7nm vs. either things mentioned. Can't wait for 7nm AMD apus (2-3 htpc's to fill), AMD cpu (12-16 core 7nm I hope), and a 7nm vid card from the winner this xmas (whoever is watt/heat winner, perf 2nd for this card, hot room so...all about the heat on this one).

ixo
    Registered+
    Thanks
    • ixo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 5
      • CPU:
      • i5 4690k 4.5 GHz
      • Memory:
      • Kingston Hyper X 16 GB 3 white, 1 red.
      • Storage:
      • 480GB Crucial MX300
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA Gtx 1070
      • PSU:
      • Corsair Rm 750
      • Case:
      • Nzxt H440

Quote Originally Posted by nobodyspecial View Post
    7nm could make this a pretty good product. I won't be too impressed by the same crap in a different box. If it has 7nm soc and plays tegrazone games/googleplay android stuff, I might buy this. These are not negotiable however. It should be a bare minimum with an NV soc inside it. So many more games you can get cheaply on android, if you don't have these, forget it. Now that 7nm is basically on top of us, I can't buy anything else. PERIOD. 8700k/1070ti last things I buy that are not 7nm (or better...LOL) in chips. There will be massive watts/heat drops on 7nm vs. either things mentioned. Can't wait for 7nm AMD apus (2-3 htpc's to fill), AMD cpu (12-16 core 7nm I hope), and a 7nm vid card from the winner this xmas (whoever is watt/heat winner, perf 2nd for this card, hot room so...all about the heat on this one).
    Guess you won't be buying

Why:
    1. The switch is on 20nm currently, which means even just going to 14/12nm could be a large boost alone.
    2. Nvidia doesn't have 7nm, so they won't have it timely (when they have 7nm, they will flesh out their main products first, taking even longer).
    3. Nvidia only sold Nintendo what they did to curb their losses on an old product, there is no way they would sell them brand new tech for any reasonable price.

I am doubtful AMD will steal this away from Nvidia but it's not impossible as they have worked together in the past and AMD's GPU's are much better in smaller packages than Nvidias - so with the right price they could make it happen.

Thread Information