Thread: Samsung to integrate AMD Radeon graphics in its SoCs

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Samsung to integrate AMD Radeon graphics in its SoCs

Do you fancy having "Ultra Low Power, High Performance Graphics," in your next mobile?
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Samsung to integrate AMD Radeon graphics in its SoCs

Interesting development. Perhaps Samsung will drop Qualcomm in forthcoming phones now
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Registered+
    Thanks

Well they figured out that the advancement of cpu core speed are slowing down and leveling out.

BUT as in PC the GPU makes massive advancements in performance each couple of years.

In the mobile market there is a lot of head room for advancement in the GPU so to differentiate it self from the competition with it's flag ships in a few years they need new GPU tech to take the performance crown.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    Interesting development. Perhaps Samsung will drop Qualcomm in forthcoming phones now
    GPU, not CPU.

This could mean big moolah for AMD, think about it; edging out the Adreno and Mali GPUs currently plaguing the Exynos/Snapdragon war with their differences? You could do away with all that by homogenising the GPU front end.

Because whether we like it/agree with it or not, mobile gaming does not seem to be going away.

chj
    Thanks
    • chj's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6X58D-E
      • CPU:
      • Intel I7 950
      • Memory:
      • 12GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • SATA SSD/HDD combo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA GTX 780Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    GPU, not CPU.

This could mean big moolah for AMD, think about it; edging out the Adreno and Mali GPUs currently plaguing the Exynos/Snapdragon war with their differences? You could do away with all that by homogenising the GPU front end.

Because whether we like it/agree with it or not, mobile gaming does not seem to be going away.
    Homogeneity would be a big boon. I don't know why Samsung use snapdragon for the USA market though, and with that being the case would they be able to alter Qualcomm's SOC to include the AMD GPU?

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chj View Post
    . I don't know why Samsung use snapdragon for the USA market though, and with that being the case would they be able to alter Qualcomm's SOC to include the AMD GPU?
    I forget the specific communications tech, but basically there is something that only America uses and Qualcomm has the rights to it, so if you want to launch a phone in the US you literally have no choice, but to use Qualcomm.

Most people have no idea just how scummy Qualcomm are, they've been sued by pretty much everyone, including the FTC for effectively running a monopoly and using shady practises that would make intel blush.

7. Received thanks from:

chj (03-06-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SylvanSagacious View Post
    I forget the specific communications tech, but basically there is something that only America uses and Qualcomm has the rights to it, so if you want to launch a phone in the US you literally have no choice, but to use Qualcomm.

Most people have no idea just how scummy Qualcomm are, they've been sued by pretty much everyone, including the FTC for effectively running a monopoly and using shady practises that would make intel blush.
    Old school networks CDMA I think it is

Thanks

God Bless Amer...Brib...Capitalism!

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

It isn't about rights, just that no-one else can afford to enter the market for those standards.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...most-20-years/

... but I don't see why "gift us your CPU related patent portfolio or we will destroy your workstation business" Intel would bat an eyelid (Intergraph vs Intel. Inter-who?? ... exactly )

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

This could be awesome. I currently despise the two phone set up Samsung has but I can absolutely see why they do it. Right now, if I buy a flagship Samsung, I am paying the same for "the same phone" but it isn't. It's slower, less efficient, has poorer camera processing and even the audio is far worse due to the poor signal processors in use. I think I remember that even the screens aren't quite as good even though the display hardware is the same, the signal processing hardware is different. For your average normie, none of this is an issue. For the picky and autistic Yorkshireman who wants his money's worth, it's a disaster.

Samsung have made pretty good progress since the S9 but if they can get some AMD IP and help that would be awesome. Even if it's mostly GPU, once you start a partnership like this it's tempting to expand it. Then you can consider whether that might lead to better x86 emulation or even.... licencing that allows SoCs that can natively run x86. Just imagine if they combine the experience Samsung have working with low power ARM IP and instead switch to AMD CPU IP....

I'll admit the opiates have really hit me hard today and I'm quite high but I'm also quite excited to see what this brings. Always-on laptops with a half decent mobile GPU, all day battery life AND native x86?

ETR316

amd should thank Hector for this. I know amd is the popular game right now, but the fact is, that jerky company fired hector for buying ati many years ago, they gave him rubbishrubbishrubbishrubbish for doing that, when he knew and said LONG Term amd needed ati graphics. so, he made the bold move, and the short sighted bean counters and other "executives" fired hector for such a costly buy. now, years later lisa reaps the rewards for hectors bold move? just because of that, ill never buy amd again, plus i dont like that amd are and have been money infused by filth.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ETR316 View Post
    amd should thank Hector for this. I know amd is the popular game right now, but the fact is, that jerky company fired hector for buying ati many years ago, they gave him rubbishrubbishrubbishrubbish for doing that, when he knew and said LONG Term amd needed ati graphics. so, he made the bold move, and the short sighted bean counters and other "executives" fired hector for such a costly buy. now, years later lisa reaps the rewards for hectors bold move? just because of that, ill never buy amd again, plus i dont like that amd are and have been money infused by filth.
    But you will happily buy the competitors who have been known to be much worse at shafting customers continually? I did lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ETR316 View Post
    Oh man, this was a rollercoaster of bipartisan hilarity

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    It isn't about rights, just that no-one else can afford to enter the market for those standards.
    (edit, earlier post misread). The article is kind of about rights - licensing conditions set by qualcomm making it hard for companies to offer phones with qualcomm chips if they also produce ones without. That doesn't stop some all non-qualcomm entries though I presume.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    (edit, earlier post misread). The article is kind of about rights - licensing conditions set by qualcomm making it hard for companies to offer phones with qualcomm chips if they also produce ones without. That doesn't stop some all non-qualcomm entries though I presume.
    Would you call that "rights"? Qualcomm don't have any fundamental exclusivity to that technology, they just tied everyone up in contractual knots. So anyone can enter the market with a new design, just no-one will buy it.

5G could change all that. Samsung have their own 5G modem so don't need Qualcomm for that, they have their own ARM architectural license and CPU design so they don't need Qualcomm for that. Maybe that is what this is all about long term; perhaps if Samsung had access to better graphics then they could produce a chip that could be sold to other companies and break the Qualcomm monopoly. If Qualcomm have generated the amount of distrust that it sounds like they have, then going to a component supplier like Samsung (who already supply screens, ram and flash) could look really interesting.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Would you call that "rights"? Qualcomm don't have any fundamental exclusivity to that technology, they just tied everyone up in contractual knots. So anyone can enter the market with a new design, just no-one will buy it.

5G could change all that. Samsung have their own 5G modem so don't need Qualcomm for that, they have their own ARM architectural license and CPU design so they don't need Qualcomm for that. Maybe that is what this is all about long term; perhaps if Samsung had access to better graphics then they could produce a chip that could be sold to other companies and break the Qualcomm monopoly. If Qualcomm have generated the amount of distrust that it sounds like they have, then going to a component supplier like Samsung (who already supply screens, ram and flash) could look really interesting.
    ^^^^ This ^^^^
    Nail

Head

Hit

Thread Information