Thread: Intel provides developer update on Integer Scaling Support

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Intel provides developer update on Integer Scaling Support

Integer Scaling and Nearest neighbour support coming to Gen 11 graphics in August.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Intel provides developer update on Integer Scaling Support

1920 x 1440... ha! Typo!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GinoLatino View Post
    1920 x 1440... ha! Typo!
    That's the correct resolution, scaling 640x480 up at a 4:3 resolution equates to a linear increase.1920x1440 is the correct 4:3 scale up.

Bit useless because either way of the fence of 1080p or 1440p you will have a bad scale.

Thanks

I would have thought lower resolutions would be essential for this, as surely the big appeal is for the emulator crowd? Anything pre-PS2 (and even then!) isn't going to be outputting 640x480. Although, perhaps rely on the emulator to scale below that? But then why have the feature if the emulator is scaling?

Also, is 1:1 non-scaling offered in place of integer for the other resolutions on the list? I ask, because it'd make sense to "letterbox" a 1920x1080 or 1280x1024 image on the screen rather than scale it *if* that kind of scaling has been selected, as the user clearly wants the sharpest image possible. ie. monitor would run at native res, but letter-box the image unscaled in the centre.

Edit: re-reading, yes, 1:1 is used when scaling not possible, so that's fine.

Thanks

720P AND 1080P gaming on a 4K display.. PIXEL PERFECT as if it was played in native resolution, this is some disruptive sh*t... Why no one sees this? While 4K is becoming de facto for TVs, fully 4K capable video cards are still in thousand dollars range! Forget about fancy upscaling sharpening tech, Integer Scaling is simply the way to go. Com'on.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by koblongata View Post
    720P AND 1080P gaming on a 4K display.. PIXEL PERFECT as if it was played in native resolution, this is some disruptive sh*t... Why no one sees this? While 4K is becoming de facto for TVs, fully 4K capable video cards are still in thousand dollars range! Forget about fancy upscaling sharpening tech, Integer Scaling is simply the way to go. Com'on.
    Integer scaling is not perfect, it will not stretch or squish so therefore unless the source image is the same ratio as the destination screen it just moves a problem. It will help and will make old source/low-res-on-high-res images look better but it isn't really disruptive nor is it rasterisation-level GPU advancement. It's just "oh, that's cool".

Registered+
    Thanks

This, for me, is the most exciting thing that's happened in GFX for a long time. At the moment I'm using a monitor with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, here's where it helps me:

1280 x 720 scaled to 2560 x 1440: Fairly modern games without a scaling user interface, eg: Stellaris (built in UI scaler looks blurry), Supreme Commander & Forged Alliance, Egosoft X3 Terran Conflict/Reunion. This will make playing games like Total Annihilation possible where some of the maps are larger than your screen resolution and cause issues.

640 x 480, 800 x 600 etc nearest neighbour scaled to 1920 x 1440: This will enable me to install Windows 98/XP in a Virtual Machine with 3D gfx enabled. This opens up the original Sims, Blade Runner, Cueball World etc. A lot of Windows games around 1998 - 2003 all opened up on modern systems including Linux without the penalty of having to run in a small window or full screened out of native resolution and looking bad.

Shame my Dell 30" 2560 x 1600 monitor stopped working. 800 x 600 integer scaled to 1600 x 1200 (side borders really not an issue) would have been perfect. With Intel introducing this method of scaling, I'm covered from my DOS days of PC gaming with DOSBox right up to the modern day, all in none-blurry goodness! Not to mention that it also allows me to consider buying a 4K screen in the future without worry that I'd have to buy a 60" screen just to read the text in none scaling games. Having 1920 x 1080 integer scaled to 3840 x 2160 would enable me to get a 28 - 32" screen

Thread Information