Thread: Larger screen and AMD powered Surface Laptop rumours abound

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Larger screen and AMD powered Surface Laptop rumours abound

15-inch laptop is on the way and several AMD SKUs have been spotted in retailer databases.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Larger screen and AMD powered Surface Laptop rumours abound

Hasn't the 10th February 2019 already passed?

That will be very interesting if there are ARM, AMD and Intel options because from what I understand, Intel gives a kickback if i7s are used but it does demand a higher COGs to the Consumer?

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Raven74's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Edition 10
      • CPU:
      • i7 6950X@4.4 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Dominator Platinum 4x8GB (32GB)@3400 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Seagate Iron Wolf 10TB, 2xSeagate barracuda 2TB, 2xSamsung 240GB EVO, Samsung M.2 250GB 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2xAsus GTX 1080 Ti Strix OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1200i
      • Case:
      • Corsair 780T White
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 2777PQU
      • Internet:
      • 100 Mbs

Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post

That will be very interesting if there are ARM, AMD and Intel options because from what I understand, Intel gives a kickback if i7s are used but it does demand a higher COGs to the Consumer?
    Retarded American system, mm/dd/yyyy. I dont udnerstand why, also they dont use 24h system they use 12h system (am or pm after the number for example 7 am or 7pm) and they call the 24h system the military system, lol.

Thanks
    • azrael-'s system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Prime X470-Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
      • Memory:
      • 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
      • Storage:
      • 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 12 TB WD HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X-Series 560W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 550D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB271HU
      • Internet:
      • VDSL 55/12 Mbit/s

Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    Actually, it's the 19th February 2010...

Thanks

I'd love a Surface Pro with USB-C and one of the Intel CPU's with Vega, I suspect that any Pro base will miss out on half decent GPU power though, hope its not just a simple CPU step like the earlier Pro models, the 6 at least gave us 4c/8t rather than the not really i7 2c/4t mobile offerings we've had so far...

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by [GSV
    Trig;304]I'd love a Surface Pro with USB-C and one of the Intel CPU's with Vega, I suspect that any Pro base will miss out on half decent GPU power though, hope its not just a simple CPU step like the earlier Pro models, the 6 at least gave us 4c/8t rather than the not really i7 2c/4t mobile offerings we've had so far...
    The rumors I have seen say that the Surface Pro 7 will come with Ice Lake, which will boost its graphics performance significantly. If Microsoft chooses one of the G7 versions, to about the same territory as a GTX 1030 or the fastest of the Ryzen APUs. Meanwhile, the picture for the Surface Laptop is muddier, with it possibly getting new Intel processors or possibly getting Ryzen APUs. I'm not thinking a discrete GPU is likely; it would have to be at least GTX 1050 territory to be enough faster than Ryzen or Ice Lake integrated graphics to be worth the bother, and at that point it's muddying the case for the Surface Book.

There are also rumors of a variant of the Surface Go with a Core m3 processor. Surface Go Faster?

And what will that ARM product be? Surface Go Everywhere? (And would that replace the existing version with LTE or be an alternative?) A Surface Laptop variant? Something else entirely? I guess we will know in October.

Thanks

Which Ice Lake would they look at for the Pro 7 though, I've just had a quick Lougle and see that some are saying they'll ditch the "Connect" connector which is a bad thing IMHO given how they've just about won over the user base with another random connector and peripherals..
    USB-C and Connect is the way to go IMHO, at least until USB-C really takes off with additional docks, hubs etc..

Registered+
    Thanks

Microsoft has been big on retaining legacy ports in the Surface line. The existing models with USB-C ports also retain USB-A, with the exception of the small Surface Go which has only the one port. And everything, including Surface Go, still has the Surface Connect port for charging or plugging into a dock. I think Microsoft will stay on that path for now, replacing the Mini DisplayPort with USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 and keeping Surface Connect and USB-A.

One reason I think Microsoft will retain Surface Connect is that USB-C is not designed for high number of insertion cycles. It's not an ideal connector for people who put the computer into its dock and remove it multiple times each day. Phones and their connectors (whether Micro USB, USB-C, or Lightning) have the same problem, but it's eased a bit by the fact that people don't keep their phones as long as their laptops.

Thread Information