Thread: Microsoft Surface lineup leaks ahead of Wednesday's event

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Microsoft Surface lineup leaks ahead of Wednesday's event

Combined Twitter-storm from EVLeaks and WalkingCat leave little to the imagination.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • KultiVator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus x570 Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3900x
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill 32GB (2x16gb) 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 5TB of NVMe storage (most of it on PCIe4) + Various SATA SSDs & HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus RTX 2080 Super OC 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM750x
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Eclipse P600s (Black & White Edition)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 32" 4K IPS / ASUS 24" ProArt 1200p IPS / GStory 1080p/166Hz GSync/FreeSync IPS / Quest 2 HMD

Re: Microsoft Surface lineup leaks ahead of Wednesday's event

The article mentions an 'SD Card' reader on the Surface Pro 7, but looking at that image, it looks as though the larger slot beaneth the USB-A port is Microsoft's proprietary 'Surface Connector'. The micro-SD reader looks to have been retained.

The devil will be in the details as to whether it's just USB-C that's been added, or whether there's some Thunderbolt capability in play this time around (really should be given the premium price point of Surface Pro devices).

Thanks

So, the rumours about the mDP port being swapped out for USB-C appear to be true, other than that and the CPU I wonder what else will change, perhaps a bit better battery life and perhaps speed improvements on the "Hello" camera/functionality.

Thanks

Also wonder if you will be able to charge via USB-C....

Thanks

Thunderbolt and SD card slot would really make the Surface Pro a very attractive proposition. I currently use a Pro 6 as my work computer and those two features would pretty much make it perfect for me.

There's been no leaks of the potential new Surface Book so I am waiting to see what they do with it; Thunderbolt and/or a more powerful GPU and slimmer bezels are on my wishlist. I have no intention of ditching my original Surface Book anytime soon though so not that it actually matters to me

Thanks
    • Lord Midas's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ELITE
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 9700k w/ Corsair H100i Hydro PRO RGB Liquid CPU Cooler
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 8GB x 2
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe M.2 + 2TB Intel 660p NVMe M.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus RTX 2080 TURBO 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM750x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34UM88 Ultrawide 34" - 3440x1440
      • Internet:
      • Virgin - Speakers: Pair of Adam T5V

I want them to be much much lighter (though I don't know how). The weight of the current Surface Pro 6 is heavier than my Surface Pro 2, and yet I find the 2 just too heavy for long tablet use.

I'm excited to see the specs of this new generation.
    Kickstarters Pledged:
    Godus Stonehearth Rain World Satellite Reign

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

THis iwll be really dissapointing if it's all they announce - no one in the real world cares about an ARM based surface, and simply adding USB-C and removing the useful bezels so that it's harder to hold the surface as a tablet, does not excite me at all.

Really still hoping for either a refreshed surface book or even better, a courier type device...lets hope they managed to keep that under wraps and will announce tomorrow...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    no one in the real world cares about an ARM based surface,

I'm actually more interested in the arm surface over a minimally upgraded version of the existing surface pro.... we can pretty much guess what's happening there.

On the otherhand if they size the amd one and price it to take the place of the surface go (unlikely but we can hope) it would make a good all day device to take to meetings etc imo.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    I'm actually more interested in the arm surface over a minimally upgraded version of the existing surface pro.... we can pretty much guess what's happening there.
    On the otherhand if they size the amd one and price it to take the place of the surface go (unlikely but we can hope) it would make a good all day device to take to meetings etc imo.
    Out of interest, what about an arm surface attracts you? I've seen a lot of comment in the tech press about them (the tech sites) being excited about the prospect of one, but I can't see any end user/consumer benefits. Yes you will get much better battery life and thinner devices, but you also lose x86 app support and are stuck with UWP apps on the windows store which is pretty much the main advantage the Surface Pro has over it's competition.

There are plenty of ARM based tablet/hybrids that have access to a rich app ecosystem which the Surface ARM simply won't have. I struggle to compete with that (and I tried both of MS's previous attempts, before giving in and just getting a Pro).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    Out of interest, what about an arm surface attracts you? I've seen a lot of comment in the tech press about them (the tech sites) being excited about the prospect of one, but I can't see any end user/consumer benefits. Yes you will get much better battery life and thinner devices, but you also lose x86 app support and are stuck with UWP apps on the windows store which is pretty much the main advantage the Surface Pro has over it's competition.

There are plenty of ARM based tablet/hybrids that have access to a rich app ecosystem which the Surface ARM simply won't have. I struggle to compete with that (and I tried both of MS's previous attempts, before giving in and just getting a Pro).
    You don't completely lose x86 support, there's emulation although obviously that has it's limitations (They showed adobe photoshop etc running on arm for example). Obviously I'm waiting on reviews and price etc but I just don't see the point in getting an iPad because of compatibility issues and lack of 'full programs', plus it's really designed for people using macs imo. Android is pretty lacklustre on tablets and there's the obvious google connection if you want some sort of 'privacy'.

To me I think it comes down to partly curiosity and realising that I'm never going to use the full power of a x64 cpu because I'll just use my desktop in most cases which is more powerful, so I started thinking about what I actually 'need' in a mobile device.

I don't do any major work with my clients (don't want that sort of 'management' of their designs) and so as long as I can show them images/videos/powerpoint and can do annotations or basic adjustments to images I should be fine, I can realistically do that on a surface go so don't see any reasons why I can't do that on an arm cpu (likely the arm 8cx) that's supposedly around i5 performance.

It also looks really thin/light and should in theory have good battery life.... that to me is a good thing for a 'mobile' device.

11. Received thanks from:

Spud1 (02-10-2019)

Thanks

If it comes with "Full" Office support then an AMD based unit would be acceptable for a lot of people I reckon that just use the device for Office use or Remote Desktop to another PC/Server for workload stuff...

Thread Information