Thread: Google Stadia launches with 22 games tomorrow

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Google Stadia launches with 22 games tomorrow

Cloud gaming service boosted in last minute - only 12 games were going to be available.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • KultiVator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus x570 Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3900x
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill 32GB (2x16gb) 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 5TB of NVMe storage (most of it on PCIe4) + Various SATA SSDs & HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus RTX 2080 Super OC 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM750x
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Eclipse P600s (Black & White Edition)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 32" 4K IPS / ASUS 24" ProArt 1200p IPS / GStory 1080p/166Hz GSync/FreeSync IPS / Quest 2 HMD

Re: Google Stadia launches with 22 games tomorrow

Bit suspect that Doom is missing from the launch lineup... as several beta-testers found that Doom's fast fluid action wasn't a great fit for Google Stadia, resulting in poor video quality (tonnes of compression artefacts).

So buyer beware that many of the launch titles are of the slower-paced variety and may be hiding some of the limitations of the tech.

Thanks

Still not sure who Google is even aiming this at. Hardcore gamers will already have their PC/Console, plus have played the games already and aren't going to spend full price to buy them again. Casual gamers are going to look at the $70 pad + $10 a month then have to purchase all the games as a major cost issue. Either google need to make the service entirely free with you just purchasing what you want to play or pay single monthly fee to get access to a LARGE catalogue of games (a la Xbox GamePass).

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

and.... nobody cares

Google just got this wrong - its expensive, beta testers have shown that the quality is highly variable (particularly with fast moving games) and they totally ignored the subscription/gaming as a service type approach that could have made them a fortune.

The intention is good, and someone is going to making game streaming work as a business model - but I don't think Stadia is the product to do it.

All of that said, very much like with Chromebooks/Chrome OS (which are damn near pointless products in a world where we have iOS, MacOS, Windows & Android) I think Google are playing the long game here. The money for Google isn't in providing the Stadia hwardware, or in margins on very over priced game licences...it's in providing the infrastructure and tooling for someone else to make it work in the future.

If they can sell the idea and the platform, and then you get say EA jumping into it and starting to resell on the subscription side of things (e.g. moving Origin Premier to support streaming)...they could make a fortune.

Dangerous move though, they really do risk alienating the gaming public through a poor quality service, just as OnLive did in the mid 2000s, and killing off the tech for another 5 years. I guess we'll see.

Registered+
    Thanks

This will be interesting to see how it goes. Although i think Google overestimate the quality of peoples internet connections and i think the hardware industry will have something to say in unlikey event it should take off.

Thanks
    • Hoonigan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570 ACE
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2x 2TB Gigabyte NVMe 4.0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3070Ti Gaming Pro
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 750W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Crystal Series 680X
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator Z35P + ASUS ROG PG279Q
      • Internet:
      • Giganet (City Fibre) 900/900

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    and.... nobody cares
    You're wrong there. I care. I think this is really interesting and can't wait to see where it goes.

Thanks
    • EvilCycle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO
      • CPU:
      • Intel I7 7700K (OC to 4.8GHz on Corsair H100i V2)
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3000MHz
      • Storage:
      • WD Blue SN550 1TB NVMe SSD, Samsung 840 evo 120GB SSD + 2 x 500GB 72000rpm HDD's
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 XTREME
      • PSU:
      • DEEPCOOL DQ 750st
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Airflow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" 1440p 60hz AOC q2778vqe
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 380Mb (Fibre Optic)

Cypher, that is already how it works. The £10 p/m is to access the games, they will be offering an alternative plan in the future that costs £0 p/m but obviously on that plan games have to be purchased instead. I personally think the pricing is OK if you look at it as an alternative to PS+ or Xbox gold/game pass, far less initial upfront cost for the console and the more expensive subscription cost is covered by not having to purchase titles. What really begs the question however is how well this all works and what kind of game support we will see moving beyond the initial launch and honeymoon period, if fast paced games are a no-go then so is Stadia as a whole.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by EvilCycle View Post
    Cypher, that is already how it works. The £10 p/m is to access the games, they will be offering an alternative plan in the future that costs £0 p/m but obviously on that plan games have to be purchased instead. I personally think the pricing is OK if you look at it as an alternative to PS+ or Xbox gold/game pass, far less initial upfront cost for the console and the more expensive subscription cost is covered by not having to purchase titles.
    Sorry but no, that's not how it works....

Its £10p/m to access the stadia service and what will eventually be a library of "free" (if you pay the sub, so not really free) games.

At launch, that is ONLY Destiny 2, and more will be added "in the future". Most games you will need to buy and pay near enough full price for (that's ALL the games at launch excluding Destiny 2) - pricing has already been confirmed as the same as retail on other platforms, so £40-£60...you will get a discount off that if you subscribe (i've not seen the % confirmed yet). They have also come out and stated that this is not going to be netflxi for games, or like gamepass - its very different.

@Hoonigan - fair enough, I too an interested in a way to see how it goes, but its not something I am even tempted to buy and its certainly not a platform I want to support. We don't need yet another closed loop system selling games on an exclusive basis. They had many potential options to launch it as a new tech platform that would get everyone on board - but their closed, walled garden approach, and the fact you have to buy the games and can only use them on that service is just a huge turn off.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Yeah, but they have an excvlusive, so are probably just another evil Epic in Google clothing.

Thanks
    • KultiVator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus x570 Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3900x
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill 32GB (2x16gb) 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 5TB of NVMe storage (most of it on PCIe4) + Various SATA SSDs & HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus RTX 2080 Super OC 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM750x
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Eclipse P600s (Black & White Edition)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 32" 4K IPS / ASUS 24" ProArt 1200p IPS / GStory 1080p/166Hz GSync/FreeSync IPS / Quest 2 HMD

I don't get all the 'Epic are evil' rhetoric... sure they've started a store and have some exclusives which some people feel butt-hurt about.

But for many years (at least as far back as 1999's superb "Unreal Tournament"), Epic have championed free updates, free map-packs and extending the life of their most popular games, all without charging their fans a penny.

They don't strike me as being the most cash-grabby of companies and even their big cash-cow, Fortnite, doesn't milk players for cash.

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    Sorry but no, that's not how it works....

Its £10p/m to access the stadia service and what will eventually be a library of "free" (if you pay the sub, so not really free) games.

At launch, that is ONLY Destiny 2, and more will be added "in the future". Most games you will need to buy and pay near enough full price for (that's ALL the games at launch excluding Destiny 2) - pricing has already been confirmed as the same as retail on other platforms, so £40-£60...you will get a discount off that if you subscribe (i've not seen the % confirmed yet). They have also come out and stated that this is not going to be netflxi for games, or like gamepass - its very different.

@Hoonigan - fair enough, I too an interested in a way to see how it goes, but its not something I am even tempted to buy and its certainly not a platform I want to support. We don't need yet another closed loop system selling games on an exclusive basis. They had many potential options to launch it as a new tech platform that would get everyone on board - but their closed, walled garden approach, and the fact you have to buy the games and can only use them on that service is just a huge turn off.
    Its free per month for 1080p 60fps, the fee is for the 4k version with HDR I believe, the free tier is definitely solid from a technical stand point!

Its not that huge for me but guys in work are all getting it and they arent PC gamers so in a way its huge for PC as it means more games use Vulkan and work on linux and there are more 'pc' players so we get more people and better optimised games, win win really.
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

It's only going to be "free" for access to the service - not the library of games (which is currently just Destiny 2...). You'd still need to buy the games at full price (not even a discount in that case..)

Quote Originally Posted by KultiVator View Post
    I don't get all the 'Epic are evil' rhetoric... sure they've started a store and have some exclusives which some people feel butt-hurt about.

But for many years (at least as far back as 1999's superb "Unreal Tournament"), Epic have championed free updates, free map-packs and extending the life of their most popular games, all without charging their fans a penny.

They don't strike me as being the most cash-grabby of companies and even their big cash-cow, Fortnite, doesn't milk players for cash.

Really simple:

Epic are buying up exclusives that were previously announced as being available on other platforms
    This restricts consumer choice, and reduces competition in the marketplace (you now only have one shop to buy your game from if you want to play it)
    This also keeps prices artificially high, as without competition, there is zero incentive for epic to offer good prices to consumers
    This then also fragments the marketplace - you now have yet another "silo" of games that can only be played from a single storefront
    There are also serious questions about Epic's security practices and the sheer lack of functionality & benefit they offer.

What they are doing is bad for the industry, bad for gamers, but good for them as they make more money.

Like you, I had a really good opinion of Epic games previously - really enjoyed their early games and how bought in they seemed to be to the lack of F2P and lack of DLC....but that has changed significantly. Around the time that a certain predatory company (tencent) who is well known for highly problematic practices decided to buy up 40% of the company. Not that i'd want to imply any relationship.

edit: also "fortnite doesn't milk players for cash" <-really? It's setup to milk every player for as much as they can get. All credit to them for that though they did a good job getting kids hooked on it

Thanks

Wow, this is a service I see having a long and bright future ahead.

The fact that I have a relatively decent internet connection, but still get lag every once in a while when streaming at videos at HD, I don't see this being viable for gaming personally. Plus the launch lineup is mediocre at best (just my opinion!). This video pretty much sums up my thoughts on Stadia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgF3BuKZWAI

I personally don't see streaming as the future of gaming... but I've been wrong before.
    "Arrogance and stupidity all in the same package. How efficient of you!" - Ambassador Londo Mollari
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - A General

Thread Information