Thread: Scan 3XS Vengeance RTX Fluid Extreme

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Scan 3XS Vengeance RTX Fluid Extreme

AMD Ryzen 3950X served with a large slice of flamboyance.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Gentle Viking's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus extreme X399
      • CPU:
      • TR 1920 X
      • Memory:
      • G Skill 64GB ( 8 X 8 ) PC3600 @ 3400
      • Storage:
      • Samsung evo 500GB nvme - 256GB Kingston SSD - 4TB spinning disk
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor 5700 XT red devil
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850I
      • Case:
      • Working on it, done summer 2020
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 Ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" iiyama GB2788HS
      • Internet:
      • docis 3.1 cable 1000/100 mbit

Re: Scan 3XS Vengeance RTX Fluid Extreme

Black and red, not a bad combo, and also what i used when i last build a "mod" something like a decade ago.
    I am planning on using black / yellow for my next build, though i do think the opaque yellow fluid i am testing on now will have to make way for transparent yellow fluid.
    BUT ! a close inspection of my heatkiller head on the CPU now till be the judge of that, i do like the opaque stuff, but some brands really make a mess of that.

Thanks

there is an error in the game section, now it is Final Fantasy XIV : Shadow Bringers, as we just had an expansion last summer

Registered+
    Thanks

Hehe, so that's where the pitifully few Zen2 high ends are going. £7000 !! wtfffffff. I guess anyone buying this is also going to add a T-Rex to their erm 'collection'?

Thanks

Got to be honest here... I'm curious as to why it warrants the 6.5k price tag, hell even the 4.5k one is questionable because I just don't see the value there in it's parts...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    Got to be honest here... I'm curious as to why it warrants the 6.5k price tag, hell even the 4.5k one is questionable because I just don't see the value there in it's parts...
    Priced it up at PCPP and I get ~£5.3k for parts not including the watercooling kit.

Terrible value for the performance, but that's what the parts cost.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by edmundhonda View Post
    Priced it up at PCPP and I get ~£5.3k for parts not including the watercooling kit.

Terrible value for the performance, but that's what the parts cost.
    I still don't see why it's priced like it is, there's no way they'd be paying retail prices (at the very least it would be wholesale) for the parts and while I'm not against a markup this feels more like price gouging.... ironically I am both the target for this (3D cad etc) and at the same time I'm not the target because I'm not going to pay that sort of markup....

Thanks

I still don't see why it's priced like it is, there's no way they'd be paying retail prices (at the very least it would be wholesale) for the parts and while I'm not against a markup this feels more like price gouging.... ironically I am both the target for this (3D cad etc) and at the same time I'm not the target because I'm not going to pay that sort of markup....
    A 20% markup of retail parts cost for labour and construction doesn't seem out of the realms of normal. Gouging is a very harsh term for what seemsto be just business. Margin on electrical parts really isn't great to begin with.

While attempting not to sound like a bad record, prebuilt systems definitely don't seem to be a scope for a person like you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    A 20% markup of retail parts cost for labour and construction doesn't seem out of the realms of normal. Gouging is a very harsh term for what seemsto be just business. Margin on electrical parts really isn't great to begin with.

While attempting not to sound like a bad record, prebuilt systems definitely don't seem to be a scope for a person like you.
    Actually 20% (if it actually is this) to me seems rather excessive if I'm being honest, like I said I'm not against a markup but it does just feel overpriced to me, even considering the time/labour for building it.

Thanks

Holly... xD £7k ?
    And still not able to run all AAA games 4k@60Hz stable at max details...

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post

Actually 20% (if it actually is this) to me seems rather excessive if I'm being honest, like I said I'm not against a markup but it does just feel overpriced to me, even considering the time/labour for building it.
    What about time spent designing, testing the custom cooling loop? How long would you put into research into a system costing this much if you were designing it from scratch? That's probably a few people quite some time along with several test builds which they can no longer sell. Testing as well as you can't afford any strange compatibility issues with a system like this. Low volume, high end kit almost always has a much higher mark up and there's a lot more work goes into this that you perhaps appreciate. You need that mark up as there's the same R&D going into it with a lot less volume to recoup. The time building it is the lower cost to recoup as the parts, building method, etc has already been done for you and all the mistakes will have been made on practice builds which again, you may not be able to recoup the costs from. 20% mark up on a new, high end, low volume, technical product is pretty reasonable. Oh and bear in mind you're also paying for an on site warranty for a year which you don't get with your custom built rig. That needs to be included in the price as well.

The question not answered in this review is.... will it play Crysis?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    What about time spent designing, testing the custom cooling loop? How long would you put into research into a system costing this much if you were designing it from scratch? That's probably a few people quite some time along with several test builds which they can no longer sell. Testing as well as you can't afford any strange compatibility issues with a system like this. Low volume, high end kit almost always has a much higher mark up and there's a lot more work goes into this that you perhaps appreciate. You need that mark up as there's the same R&D going into it with a lot less volume to recoup. The time building it is the lower cost to recoup as the parts, building method, etc has already been done for you and all the mistakes will have been made on practice builds which again, you may not be able to recoup the costs from. 20% mark up on a new, high end, low volume, technical product is pretty reasonable. Oh and bear in mind you're also paying for an on site warranty for a year which you don't get with your custom built rig. That needs to be included in the price as well.

The question not answered in this review is.... will it play Crysis?
    Every part which went into that can be checked from the manufacturer websites, the ram selected will have already been checked by the motherboard manufacturer and listed as supported (I know because I've been looking into 16GB and 32GB module support), the same goes for the ssd's etc (they're all listed within 3 documents on the support page for the motherboard...). The entire cooling system is built from off the shelf parts from corsair, which will have specs on what they can support..... The R&D involved is literally looking at some numbers, where to put the pump and running the pipes in out in out (seriously you can't get a much more simple layout for water cooling), which had already been done for the 'lower spec' version with the 12 core cpu....

Yes there is some time putting it together, installing the OS image and giving it a stability check, but it's not like they'll be sitting watching it while doing nothing else while it does it's burn in stage.

You keep saying it's got a 20% markup, that's £1400 and like I've said I don't see anything that warrants that level of markup...... I could have understood maybe 10% markup but 20% to me just feels like price gouging considering they likely didn't pay retail (I wouldn't be shocked if corsair had given them a deal considering all the corsair parts they've used) for the parts being used.

As to on site warranties, it says it can take up to 2 days to arrange (loss of earnings etc if being used for work), still might not actually be fixed on site and if you read the support pages, it actually reads like you'll need to send this one back to the shop because it's watercooled and overclocked....

Thanks

I bet you pay bottom dollar for your builders or landscapers.

"nah buddy, those materials cost xyz from wickes, I'm gonna pay you 5% for your labour"

Sure a builder/landscaper requires more physical exertion than putting together a PC, but it still takes time and effort. In this instance the price includes cost of employee, cost of part source and configuration, cost of build time, cost of testing time, cost of quality control, cost of support, cost of aftercare and cost of storage/delivery/packing.

Yes, we understand you can build it yourself for cheaper but you're not a system builder, you're just jimmy john playing lego in your back room.

In the custom airsoft world, 20% margin per sale would literally bankrupt you, you are looking at least 30% plus.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Also missing here is market research. When you're doing this you'll build several systems and put them to a focus group or at least pics on forums to see which design works best for the market. If you're building for yourself, you know what you like. This step is skipped. Also, just out of interest, do you spend hours doing several different runs with several different BIOS configurations? A proper system builder looking for the best set up will configure things like the Tau value on Intel boards. Wanna know how long you'll spend during testing to get the optimal value? That's just one, fairly obscure value which is set by OEMs to suit the specs of their own cooling solution and normally not even touched by people who build themselves.

Sorry man, but I'm not sure you've spent any time working in the design / manufacturing field if you really think it's that simple.

As for warranties. I had a scan system. They came to sort a repair on site at a time of my choosing. And if your living relies entirely on one machine with no backup or redundancy then more fool you. Two days to arrange someone to come and fix it on site is damned good. And of course some things won't be doable on site! That's obvious. I really think you're being totally unreasonable there.

As Tabby says, custom airsoft guns cost a fortune and I bet if you look at that, it's all just off the shelf parts and industrial lego. So why the mark up? I can change the chamber, barrel, gearbox, motor, switches on my own. Why pay? Because if you build a product and for some reason the barrel you choose says 6.03mm and has a standard fitting, but for some really weird reason doesn't play nice with the way the hop chamber sends the pellet in, you're selling a gun that is no better than a random monkey could sell and you're going to have to deal with a lot of returns, even though on paper all the parts meet the specification.

It's the same with bullets and real guns. Yesterday I was frankly being an arse and emptying 30 round mags down range for a laugh. The ammunition was all .22LR and the magazines were both to the same spec. One brand of ammunition, despite the spec being
    correct for the gun, failed to cycle the action reliably and I had 3 malfunctions to clear in 5 rounds. And the other worked fine. One mag fed far better than the other, despite being to the same spec and for the same gun. It's the same with bipods, one works better than the other, despite both being basic 20mm rail bipods. ALL of those bits and bats are specified to work with that gun on paper and should work just fine but there is huge variance between the performance of the different bits. When I got reliable cycling it was obvious one brand went down the gun a lot better than another. It would take me a very long time to go through the different compatible ammunition brands, magazines and so on to get the best performance. That is why a custom weapon system is so damned expensive even though it seems fairly similar to what you could do yourself. You're paying for time, knowledge, knowhow and support.

Just out of interest, how much do you think it costs just to have someone technically competent available to get on the phone to you when you ring up with a problem? I don't think 5% even begins to cover that for a low volume product.

Registered+
    Thanks

Cool colors there

Registered+
    Thanks

I like it, if it was black & purple, I would love it

Thread Information