Thread: Windows 7 support ends today

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Windows 7 support ends today

One in four Windows PCs is still running Windows 7, according to StatCounter.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Windows 7 support ends today

Our HTPC is running Win7 and I don't feel inclined to change it.

Thanks

Good riddance, just use windows 8.1 until 2023 ffs.

Thanks

Several PCs running 7, and even a couple running XP, and nothing is going to change.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

5. Received thanks from:

AGTDenton (17-01-2020)

Thanks

On the PC side you get warnings about security risks for an outdated OS, but something I'm not sure about is whether it applies to the mobile ecosystem to the same extent? It seems to be harder to find a valid answer to this and if so then it would seem odd that there wouldn't be a higher concern when updates from android particularly are less reliably available and support is obviously much less than the PC market.

On topic though, I upgraded to win 10 early because this was inevitable anyway.

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Silicon Power NVME + 2x 4tb Raid 0 (2tbx2) arrays with 250gb Silicon Power NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

The last windows 7 machine in my house was my HTPC, upgraded to 10 the end of last year and moved from media center to media portal. Wasn't painless but worked out well in the end.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • GamingLexus's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Fatal1ty Z77 Professional
      • CPU:
      • Intel® Core™ i7-3770K @ 4.2GHz
      • Memory:
      • Samsung Green 16GB DDR3 1866MHz (9-9-9-27 1N) @ 1.400v
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 Pro SSD (256GB)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING 6G
      • PSU:
      • Antec HCP-1300 Platinum PSU
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF X
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer GN246HL 24" TN LED Monitor @ 120 Hz, and Dell U2211H 22" IPS Monitor
      • Internet:
      • BT ADSL :(

I was a reluctant adopter of W10 because I really liked W7. However, after a period of adjustment, I feel quite at home with W10.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • thewelshbrummie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87Deluxe/Dual
      • CPU:
      • i5-4670K
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 2.5TB in SSDs, 24TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 650W
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200 V3
      • Operating System:
      • Win8.1/10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2410
      • Internet:
      • terrible BT fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Percy1983 View Post
    The last windows 7 machine in my house was my HTPC, upgraded to 10 the end of last year and moved from media center to media portal. Wasn't painless but worked out well in the end.
    Good to know. I'll be taking my HTPC offline once it's grabbed the last updates but have been planning a replacement and Win10/Media Portal seems like the best option.

Thanks

What percentage of the market did XP have when it went OEL?

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Silicon Power NVME + 2x 4tb Raid 0 (2tbx2) arrays with 250gb Silicon Power NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

Quote Originally Posted by thewelshbrummie View Post
    Good to know. I'll be taking my HTPC offline once it's grabbed the last updates but have been planning a replacement and Win10/Media Portal seems like the best option.
    I actually used a second SSD and installed 10 on it and then when I had time and nobody wanted the TV swapped to the 10 install and got thing working. Then one day once happy left the 10 install in and haven't looked back.

Thanks

My work network still uses Win7, but the will be transitioning to Win 10 at some point. I can't wait.
    "Arrogance and stupidity all in the same package. How efficient of you!" - Ambassador Londo Mollari
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - A General

Thanks

I purposely let the last OS go for well over 2yrs without an update on one PC (just for kicks), no issues and I used it for uh, many a dangerous things. It ONLY had updated AV, firewall, threatfire. That is all you need really unless you're making MONEY from your PC (obviously get every protection you can then!). I can say the same for an XP64 install that never had issues years after updates were gone (same story with av/threatfire/firewall updated always).

Of course I'd always say have a good firewall, AV, threatfire, and if possible get behind a router too No worries about patches if you have updated AV/FW/TF and a router. Of course this would not be my strategy in ENT, just saying, no point in freaking out over this at home. You could go for years, or just install a copy that gets updates still (er, always ENT, who installs pro etc? ROFL). Heck I've been running Comodo (AV/FW, no geekbuddy crap etc installed, carefully install comodo...LOL) and threatfire for years without issues. Both are FREE, no trouble on 1/2 dozen PC's.

Don't get me wrong, I PAY for my OS (all PC's, pro or ult before win10). You figure it out. Win10 just needs to die, and finally be totally written ground up as win11 or something with ZERO lines of code from win10. MSFT should not expect any more donations from me until they get OFF 10 PERIOD (own ONE, not because I wanted it, just troubleshooting purposes). Win10 is killing about half the PC users I know (the older folks that is), as they just give up and move to some other form of PC (mobile usually, tablet, etc). Raising numbers by forcing, nagging etc, doesn't make anyone like your OS any more than the day before. In fact we now HATE you for it. Many will just pirate and forget it as they decide win10 is not worth paying for if the PC is basically useless to them after buying it. I can't count the number of messages a day I get from "sent from my phone", "Sent from tapatalk" or whatever.. My parents know multiple people who just quit PC's (again, retired people don't want to learn a THING!) due to win10. You want to know where 100m pc sales went? Win10 for 5yrs...ROFL. Tell everyone to learn EVERYTHING again about their PC, they will tell you to stick it in many cases, not just old people either. My gen is a ways from retirement, and nobody I know likes 10.

My parents get literally ANGRY when I tell them they need to learn something for tech. ANGRY. They swear a lot more today than usual also! Always when on a PC or phone...LOL. You can quickly ruin an evening if they have to learn anything tech and they are PC literate (dad can build one). They are just sick of change for NO reason. ME too. IF it doesn't make me faster, fire the guy that wrote that line of code. PERIOD. Make me faster or quit making software. Does that take more clicks than the last version? You're fired. PERIOD. Less clicks and more stuff exposed, or you're fired. I could go on, but MSFT doesn't listen to anyone (see xbox one failure vs. sony, so many anti user crap in it at launch, they killed it).

Thanks

Well was and been happy in this order... 95/98 - xp - 7 and 10... I tried Vista and hated 8 at my work.

Thread Information