Thread: Google releases the Pixelbook Go in the UK

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Google releases the Pixelbook Go in the UK

Chrome OS laptop is a thin and light Intel CPU design with 12 hour battery, from £629.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Google releases the Pixelbook Go in the UK

I can't be the only one who thinks this is stupidly priced considering how limited it is as a device..... not to mention there are better spec'd chromeOS alternatives for less.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    I can't be the only one who thinks this is stupidly priced considering how limited it is as a device..... not to mention there are better spec'd chromeOS alternatives for less.
    It's good if you want a well-made laptop with a good screen in a very small package with great battery life, but don't need to do anything outside of a web browser.

Apparently those people exist.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

It is. £629 for a chomebook is silly. £1329 is obscene.

That said however, it's not much worse than Microsoft asking for £1070 for a surface pro X, so google are not the only ones trying to sell crippled devices for a fortune.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by edmundhonda View Post
    It's good if you want a well-made laptop with a good screen in a very small package with great battery life, but don't need to do anything outside of a web browser.
    Apparently those people exist.
    They do exist... I used to be one of them.
    You know what I did? I bought a Netbook, for just £200.

Obviously times have changed and kit has improved quite a bit in the past.... err... Fifteen years since I got mine, but I wouldn't expect them to be this expensive!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    It is. £629 for a chomebook is silly. £1329 is obscene.

That said however, it's not much worse than Microsoft asking for £1070 for a surface pro X, so google are not the only ones trying to sell crippled devices for a fortune.
    To be fair, I'd rather pay £1070 for a surface pro x because it 'should' be able to run most windows x86 software, although I'm sure it won't be a nice experience in all cases. Don't forget it does have mobile internet built in too which is usually a nice little premium on top of the non mobile version.

I'd also argue that the surface pro x is more about getting people to develop natively for arm on windows than being a massive seller, essentially this is MS looking at the bigger long term picture imo.... I can see a duo (with full windows) and neo being arm at some point, actually I'm surprised neo wasn't arm based if I'm honest.

If all you want is as said essentially web browsing there are compact chromebooks in the couple of hundred pounds range... not that I'd want google in charge of my desktop OS, it's bad enough needing to use android (not prepared to pay iphone prices for a phone) and them having their teeth into pretty much every website with the webmaster tools...

Thanks

Almost choked when I saw the price.

Thanks

I love my chromebook that cost around £220... I'd be hesitant at buying for this price, but build quality is a huge factor as my cheapo one is a POS build-wise (and the screen).

I do often think that people complaining about ChromeOS in general though probably haven't really spent that much time with it. I've been using it as a secondary for 5/6 years now and honestly it has never lacked anything I've needed other than steam/gaming. I even do CAD work through cloud services now... though my Chromebook doesn't actually have the specs to run it properly without crashing after ten minutes, so a better Chromebook is actually appealing - especially considering running the same thing on low-end windows machines has the same issue.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luke7 View Post
    . I even do CAD work through cloud services now....
    That there alone is an issue for me personally....

I wouldn't want to use any cloud based service for CAD work, especially if it's for clients because it's add in another location where NDA's etc can be broken or data taken.

Thanks

. I even do CAD work through cloud services now....
    That there alone is an issue for me personally....

I wouldn't want to use any cloud based service for CAD work, especially if it's for clients because it's add in another location where NDA's etc can be broken or data taken.
    Honestly wouldn't expect that particular risk to be any higher than your local storage being accessed or phsically stolen. I'd also argue the much greater risk of drive failure (locally compared to cloud) outweighs that particular disadvantage.

The other point, of course, is that you can store the CAD data locally anyway while the cloud service does the processing work, if you so choose.

Thanks
    • jimborae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 9700K@4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group DDR-3000 32Gig
      • Storage:
      • 1x Samsung 870 Evo 500Gb SSD, 1 x WD Red 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT watercooled
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W Black Edition
      • Case:
      • Phantek Enthoo Prime
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 xDell 24"
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet 70Mb

Gotta say love my Dell Chromebook 13, bought secondhand for £200. Really could do with another 4Gb of RAM but as others have said there more options available for less money. Would still love one though.

Thanks

Honestly wouldn't expect that particular risk to be any higher than your local storage being accessed or phsically stolen. I'd also argue the much greater risk of drive failure (locally compared to cloud) outweighs that particular disadvantage.

The other point, of course, is that you can store the CAD data locally anyway while the cloud service does the processing work, if you so choose.
    In my opinion I don't think you fully understand the implications of failing to uphold nda's.....

You're also working on the assumption that 1: the main work computer is actually accessible from external sources and that the location isn't secure, not to mention the storage drives can be encrypted too... and 2: that there isn't some proper backup process (and backup hardware) in place to securely back up the data so hardware failure doesn't matter. Both of which are the case in my work environment... purely because of the level of 'security' that my nda's require.

Unless that online service is prepared to sign my client and my nda's which wouldn't happen you then need to look at the small print of all these services and you'll see that a large portion of them are not really suited to nda type work. The only ones even remotely suitable for external use are render farms for incredibly large animation type encodes and even then you still need to be careful with who you go with, not all of them willingly offer up nda support.

You've also got this 'minor' issue that if the internet between you and the cloud service has issues (and this is still a thing that happens)... you're basically screwed. Yes you can get a power cuts at home but so can big server centres too....

Thread Information