Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intel CEO Bob Swan delivers his Computex 2020 message

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Intel CEO Bob Swan delivers his Computex 2020 message

Asks industry to shift away from benchmarks to focus on benefits and impacts of technology.
    Read more.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Intel CEO Bob Swan delivers his Computex 2020 message

Swan is getting a lot of ribbing for his benchmark comment.
    However, Intel does go out and develop a lot of solutions that don't necessarily show up in the common benchmarks, but that are focused on solving specific problems. The integrated Optane, Thunderbolt, Wifi6 features are examples. The P5900 family for 5G infrastructure, the bfloat16 processing on its Cooper Lake Xeons, the ultra low leakage 22FFL io chiplet layer on Lakefield are more examples. Their FPGA support for MSFT's Brainwave project is another big example. They invented CXL and are contributing oneAPI open source as portions of their solution for the Aurora exascale project.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JayN View Post
    Swan is getting a lot of ribbing for his benchmark comment.
    However, Intel does go out and develop a lot of solutions that don't necessarily show up in the common benchmarks, but that are focused on solving specific problems. The integrated Optane, Thunderbolt, Wifi6 features are examples. The P5900 family for 5G infrastructure, the bfloat16 processing on its Cooper Lake Xeons, the ultra low leakage 22FFL io chiplet layer on Lakefield are more examples. Their FPGA support for MSFT's Brainwave project is another big example. They invented CXL and are contributing oneAPI open source as portions of their solution for the Aurora exascale project.
    Wow, it's almost like there are no other companies who do this as well!

I think you've missed the point as to the whole reason why he's being ribbed. He's being ribbed because Intel have historically heralded themselves as top of the dog pile using these metrics and now that there are many competitors in all sectors they are fighting with Bobby boy comes out with this...

Basically, this is another example of Intel shifting the goalposts because the industry is heating up.

Thanks

Last I heard Cooper Lake wasn't going to launch, so it's weird that they're back to shouting about how nothing is better.

Thanks

Intel Core i9-10900K launches with tagline worlds fastest gaming processor...

Yeah but forget about benchmarks...
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks

CEO of one of the largest company out there has to read 3 minutes message ...
    Amazing

Thanks
    • globalwarning's system
      • CPU:
      • AMD 1090T
      • Memory:
      • RIP JAW DDR3 1600 4x4GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire 7950 OC (Boost)
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 750W
      • Case:
      • Old crap
      • Operating System:
      • Window 7 Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Hanns-G 281DPB

New Intel tag line: BS Inside.

8. Received thanks from:

ik9000 (09-06-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by edmundhonda View Post
    Last I heard Cooper Lake wasn't going to launch, so it's weird that they're back to shouting about how nothing is better.
    It's a product that does exist...somewhere on the market.

But it's inaccessible to everyone except very few but it is accessible so therefore it can be bragged about. It's all Marketing horse manure.

Thanks

They need to understand, we want what is best for the most reasonal price... it is like why pay for an iPhone when you can get the same product which is better + cheaper?

Thanks

Swan's quote beggars belief...After years of boasting about the fastest gaming chips and server solutions.
    It actually revealed how much trouble Intel is in, that nonsense like this is coming from the top of the company.

Registered+
    Thanks

Yaaaawn, all I see is a loser trying to cover year's of greed and R&D failure.

So we should pay overprices for Intel's overheating 14nm tech without any real performance gains gen to gen.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Kinda reminds me of all the threads where people assert that benchmarking and stress-testing your build proves nothing useful (especially comparing AMD to Intel during hyperthreading tests), and you should instead base it on performance during actual gaming and work tasks for a more real-world measure.

Thanks
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair something or the other
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB nvme, 1x 2TB nvme, 2x 8TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 3080 Ti TuF
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Torrent White
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

You might as well get robots to do these talks, they would sound more human

Thanks

"We should see this moment as an opportunity to shift our focus as an industry from benchmarks to the benefits and impacts of the technology we create".

LOL: Translation: "We are going to lose for a long time, and it's really bad across the board with watts, perf, heat, etc so please don't benchmark until we win again".

You're fired for saying something so dumb. Benchmarks (heat/watts/perf) are why I buy a chip, and they are also why I won't. PERIOD. Nice try, wake me when you hit 95w for 16 core. No, 14nm won't get there. AMD for me next at xmas no doubt. Only question is how many really. That said, get your gpu's in order AMD, or NV again but this time for 7nm. On another front, waiting on AMD stock crash before getting back in at some point this year No they are not worth it while STILL cutting prices even on 64c threadripper at $4000. What the heck are you cutting $500 from it for when Intel can't even supply 10% of their customers with chips (they even apologized for it not long ago) and you are selling everything you make. I would have RAISED prices to 5K until Intel got a 50-64c chip out the door (something in the range that is!). They are pulling down BILLIONS per quarter, while you can't hit 1B for the YEAR net! How many NEW chip launches do you need to finally crack 1B while Intel is pulling down 22B TTM. That is over double 2017.

AMD should FIRE anyone that says "price cut" in ANY dept in their company currently and for the foreseeable future too. Until Intel catches you, NO CUTS, PRICE HIGH as market will BEAR. You are not our friend, you are in business to make $$$. Please stop trying to kill your net income. Cuts are stupid if NOBODY is on the shelf next to you competing. It is either YOU or NOTHING and your 64c chip beats their 2chip servers at less watts doing it too (well doesn't win EVERYTHING, but pretty much all but some games). Nvidia Q reports same story. They pull down 1.3-5B per Q NET usually, until the recent crap tanked them again, but already back up to 951m last Q and the most recent report was 917m NET. With 3 cpu launches, multiple gpu launches, consoles etc, they still can't hit 200mil for a Q NET. Ridiculous. I expect to see AMD stock crash soon (1-2Q as we see the damage from STUPID corona shutdown etc). Maybe consoles launching will keep it up, but it's WAY over bought IMHO (not opinion, do the math, it's not rocket science).

That said, NV overpriced (it wasn't over $312 before when making 1.3B+ for many Q's) at today's stock price. They will hit $400 at some point but I can easily see $200-300 in the next few Q's BEFORE it goes there as they've been selling some new ampere chips in this Q report and still only hit 917m (I don't expect the new stuff to hit 1.3-1.4B this next Q). Granted not a full Q until this one coming (selling ampere full 3 months coming up) but still, they landed exactly where I said they would (BELOW last 950m Q) and I didn't know Ampere would even be in this report at all for revenue. That is still 350-400m from NET quarterly at $280 or so. Not sure why people see it worth $360. I'd accept that if this Q's net was 1.5-1.6B (up from previous 1.3-1.5B Q's around $280 stock price), but it was WAY below that at 917m. I expected $250 at the report (less really), but magically it rose on I don't know what (HOPE? Certainly not DATA). ROFL.

No, I would not buy Intel today, despite them acting like they should business wise. Lie about testing, moving production to most expensive products when shortages occur (whole last year+, now TSMC/Samsung both hired to produce Intel stuff), and raising prices for new launches rather than moving old product down and putting new product in it's place. So they still set record Q's, while AMD discounts chips that have NO COMPETITION on the shelf...ROFLMAO. It's almost as if Intel has a mole working at AMD making sure they never charge appropriately and stay broke. Again, AMD, FIRE whoever is pricing your chips/gpus etc. They are IDIOTS and you can consider those caps, yelling, where usually it's just to draw attention. caps=yelling=stupid Whatever - dumb netiquette. You can't yell at me in text so it's comic anyone ever took it like that...ROFL. Just about as dumb as getting upset over someone calling you a name. Sticks and stones may break my bones, but...Idiot parents forget to teach kids these things? Today's snowflakes freak over chalk text. I digress...

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/NVDA/nvidia/net-income
    Quick example of my nvidia point. Yearly, but you should get the point. Q's are not back yet, so why $360? Whatever, PROVE it Nvidia. Almost completely out of the market right now until everyone gets back to normal (income wise I mean, for stock people that is), or massive tank comes so I can eagerly get back in Make money on your money people, then PC part costs mean NOTHING. You don't even need a job once you hit a million for trading. I mean if you can't make 5% on 1mil, you're doing it wrong (investing in the indexes will get you that if lazy just not as reliably every Q). You can almost do that just in dividend stocks with many to choose from (and spread across) that have 3-7% also. That 50K is basically avg middle class usa/uk right? Close enough.

Under 20 with a job and no skills? Who cares, put aside $100/mo for 45yrs in the indexes (you and your mate, it takes two...LOL), and you'll be a millionaire before you retire...Retirement for dummies guys Pity my nephew never listened to that advice.

https://www.macrotrends.net/2622/dow-jones-by-year-historical-annual-returns
    It's not hard to avoid the down years if you're reading a lot. I can't remember the last time I lost money on a stock (it was AMD, but a long time ago...). If a stock is near it's high, do the math or simply run. There are better places you can go always. It's just a matter of how much work it takes to find the next stock with room to make you cash. Patience is all you need. No rush. My mother is crying right now (she has trouble just sitting and waiting, never was a good saver), while I'm just relaxed waiting for the crash in some stock I want (while taking time to prove it's real worth before buying). She's a gambler who doesn't like homework. Don't trade stocks if you refuse to read. I really hope a bunch of you make a ton of cash shortly when the crash inevitably happens in many stocks soon. A company like MSFT probably won't drop much (all lics, no shelf crap really, digital downloads, mostly ent pays their bills), but many tech stocks could really take a hair cut shortly as the dust settles on earnings after covid/riots/shutting USA etc. Good luck PPL Airlines just rose 70%-100 in a few weeks in some cases and still have a double in many cases to go to dec-feb highs.

Just checked (you're welcome...LOL), many are still 1/2 off on airlines from Dec-Feb prices. IE, UAL was 90 in Dec, 80 in Feb, right now at $42 and that has already doubled from $18 just May 15. 3 weeks and you more than doubled your money. Probably will be back at 60+ in under 12 months and $80-90 again in 24 or less. It's not hard to make money people. Just put in a few hours a night when you can after work and get richer. Cpu/GPU etc pricing means nothing even if you only have a few thousand to trade with in these times. Massive discounts on stocks now with far less homework than I was doing 6 months ago for results. Nuff said, I'm out. Again, good luck. With all the crap going on in the world right now, making some easy money always puts a smile on my face

Registered+
    Thanks

Well ofc he said that.

The more your products are subpar the more you are against the idea that people can easily compare your thing with what the competitors are making.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nobodyspecial View Post
    Verbal Diarrhea...
    Always a pleasure.

18. Received thanks from:

edmundhonda (07-06-2020),ik9000 (09-06-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information