Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WD Red HDD naming convention makes SMR choices clearer

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

WD Red HDD naming convention makes SMR choices clearer

WD Red drives will use SMR, but WD Red Plus and WD Red Pro SKUs will stick to CMR tech.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: WD Red HDD naming convention makes SMR choices clearer

So basically they're releasing 'an upgraded' version which I'm sure they'll happily charge more for....

God I hate extra models for absolutely no reason other than making something that should be standard in the sector cost more...

Thanks

That isn't any clearer.
    RED has been the NAS product range.
    And SMR is not suitable for that.
    Keep SMR out of the RED range, full stop.

4. Received thanks from:

ik9000 (10-07-2020)

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by ByteMyAscii View Post
    That isn't any clearer.
    RED has been the NAS product range.
    And SMR is not suitable for that.
    Keep SMR out of the RED range, full stop.
    Agree they could have done with a new colour for these, but they are not a cold storage drive. If you are only using a cheap consumer NAS where most of these end up, then these drives will be acceptable and better value.

You aren't always writing to SMR, they have a large area of conventional recording which is written to. When you stop writing, it moves data from CMR cache out to a shingled region.
    If you are doing large file writes, like video files or machines backups, then shingled recording doesn't hurt so running out of cache isn't a problem.

If, like me, you run a VM farm off your NAS drives then you want to steer well clear. But then if you care that much, perhaps you need Enterprise drives not NAS drives. Those are so expensive, perhaps an SSD would be better.

Thanks
    • simonpreston's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Prime X370 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3800X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3000mhz
      • Storage:
      • A lot.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon RX580
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Zalman MS1000
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 / Kubuntu 20.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell 2412m
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    If you are only using a cheap consumer NAS where most of these end up, then these drives will be acceptable and better value.
    Isn't ZFS, which many consumer NAS boxes use, not playing nicely with SMR part of the problem, though?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simonpreston View Post
    Isn't ZFS, which many consumer NAS boxes use, not playing nicely with SMR part of the problem, though?
    It's the fact it's DMSMR which is Drive Managed. ZFS has the ability to work with Host/Hybrid managed SMR as far as I know so ZFS can work with the technology properly because it can't be worked with like a norm CMR drive.

WD are in the wrong here and with the except of very basic NAS uses, using DMSMR drives in their range of NAS drives is not acceptable.

Even with the higher potential failure rate, I am glad I kept our business in Seagate realms.

Thanks
    • EasterEEL's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X58-OC
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 930 @ 3.85GHz
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill 3x4GB Ripjaws RLF3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung - SSD830 256GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX680 Core1058MHz
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X 760W 80+ Gold
      • Monitor(s):
      • Hazro HZ27 IPS 2560x1440

Regrettably I purchased early 2020 2x 6TB WD RED NAS with undocumented SMR which I would never had done if they had been marketed as SMR drives. As I intend to use ZFS with my Qnap NAS, should I go back to WD and insist they replace as not fit for purpose as that is what I am inferring from this?

Thanks

On price: the 4 and 6tb EFAX Reds are pretty much price matched with the Seagate Ironwolfs. If there's a significant price saving they're making, the consumer isn't getting it.

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Agree they could have done with a new colour for these, but they are not a cold storage drive. If you are only using a cheap consumer NAS where most of these end up, then these drives will be acceptable and better value.
    Until you need to rebuild, at which time the SMR drive takes 10x as long and you're vulnerable to data loss for a whole lot longer, or the rebuild fails because the drive becomes so slow it's assumed bad.

If you are doing large file writes, like video files or machines backups, then shingled recording doesn't hurt so running out of cache isn't a problem.
    As long as you don't run out of CMR cache, I guess? How much do you get? How long does it take to empty the cache? What does your controller do when the drive takes too long to respond because you've flooded the cache?

Quote Originally Posted by EasterEEL View Post
    As I intend to use ZFS with my Qnap NAS, should I go back to WD and insist they replace as not fit for purpose as that is what I am inferring from this?
    Worth a try! They've not really admitted fault at any time so you're probably out of luck though.

Spreadie

All my Reds are CMR, but I won't be buying WD again - Red already carries a premium, and I'll be damned if I'm paying even more for what should be standard. I'm sure I won't be the only one.

11. Received thanks from:

[GSV]Trig (25-06-2020),neonplanet40 (26-06-2020)

Thanks

Red's have always been NAS drives, that means SMR is just not good for Reds.

Someone at WD made the conscious decision to make SMR drives Red's and not tell the customer, they are now battling uphill to try and limit the damage they have done.

I for one will not use WD drives again.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by [GSV]Trig View Post
    I for one will not use WD drives again.
    Sadly these days we've only really got 2 main hard drive manufacturers....Seagate and WD. Yes there's toshiba but lets be honest would you trust their drives?

Personally if I had a choice I'd use hitachi drives (used wd, seagate and hitachi) but even they've been bought out by WD (well the good bits, toshiba has the rest).... it's now literally a case of picking the 'least evil' option lol. Luckily HGST branding is still in use on enterprise drives and everything seems to point as them being hitachi drives (maybe made in toshiba's factory weirdly) in all but name (and no unlabelled smr), so while slightly more expensive I think thats my likely direction.
    Last edited by LSG501; 25-06-2020 at 11:05 PM.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    Yes there's toshiba but lets be honest would you trust their drives?
    Yes, the few hard drives I have bought in recent years have been Toshiba. They've been fine.

I wonder from the update in this article if WD are planning to price the new Red Plus drives higher than existing Red. Although at this point I suspect most of us are disinterested in what WD do and they have probably hastened the demise of the spinning disk in general.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020...r-hard-drives/

Thanks
    • neonplanet40's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Supernova G6 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian LI Lancool 3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 27" U2715H & Gigabyte M27Q
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbe

I hope the lawsuits that are being brought against them win and force them to pay out for those affected. I have 5 of the impacted drives in my 12 bay NAS. I am not a happy bunny. Needless to say, I will no longer be buying WD. This is a shame as they were always my default for reliability and quality. Little did I know...
    Home Entertainment =Epson TW9400, Denon AVRX6300H, Panasonic DPUB450EBK 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray and Monitor Audio Silver RX 7.0, Monitor Audio CT265IDC(x4) Dolby Atmos and XTZ 12.17 Sub - (Config 7.1.4)
    My System=Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz, 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme, MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO, Enermax Supernova G6 850W, Lian LI Lancool 3, 2x QHD 27in Monitors. Denon AVR1700H & Wharfedale DX-2 5.1 Sound
    Home Server 2/HTPC - Ryzen 5 3600, Asus Strix B450, 16GB Ram, EVGA GT1030 SC, 2x 2TB Cruscial SSD, Corsair TX550, Plex Server & Nvidia Shield Pro 4K
    Diskstation/HTPC - Synology DS1821+ 16GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 45TB & Synology DS1821+ 8GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 14TB & Synology DS920+ 9TB
    Portable=Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Huawei M5 10" & HP Omen 15 laptop

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    Yes there's toshiba but lets be honest would you trust their drives?
    Yes, my two main storage drives are Toshibas, and they've been more reliable than my Western Digitals over the years. One of those drives is 7 years old and still working well. I do have weekly automated backups, but I'm no more worried about my Toshiba drives failing than my WD or Seagate backups.

Even though my WD Red is in a role for which the performance isn't critical, the lack of upfront disclosure on this drives me to buy Seagate or Toshiba in the future. I considered just replacing my 2 TB Toshiba with a 6 TB drive, instead of adding a second smaller one, and could have easily wound up with a Red with inferior performance for that role.

Thanks

Problem I've got is I'm retiring 2 of the drives in my server for age, a WD 2Tb Red and a 4Tb Seagate, going to swap them out for an 8tb or there about drive and drop a 500Gb SSD in there as a temp drive (Stablebit Drivepool's SSD Optimiser for those that care), I need to find a drive that'll fit the bill, the Seagates a run over from my old NAS and all of my other drives are WD, I would, historically gone for an 8Tb Red, only real choice is a Seagate after this kerfuffle..

Spreadie

8TB Reds are all CMR, but there's still the premium to consider.

I just received a warranty replacement 8TB Red last week, but I re-jigged my storage setup in it's absence, so this is going in a cupboard as a cold replacement for my other one, which is pretty much a backup of my array now.

Barring a drive failure, I shouldn't need another spinner for a long time but, even then, it's likely to be ironwolf drives or something similar.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information