Thread: Microsoft discusses the Xbox Velocity Architecture

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Microsoft discusses the Xbox Velocity Architecture

Describes tech as "the ultimate solution for game asset streaming in the next generation".
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Microsoft discusses the Xbox Velocity Architecture

So it's like the PS5 version except can potentially be ported over to PCs? That's pretty cool

Thanks
    • rabidmunkee's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2060 OC
      • PSU:
      • EVGA
      • Operating System:
      • Win & debian
      • Internet:
      • fast-ish

Isn't the hardware decompression in the latest threadrippers?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabidmunkee View Post
    They say Xbox architecture, as they are custom chips, I assume it is just custom take on new AMD tech. As Sony are doing similar things, maybe this is the case, but who knows?

In regards 4 cores or more required for hardware decompression, I'm unsure if this is a misquote or misunderstanding.

Either they mean 4 cores unavailable (cores are required for os and system) or 4 or more cores plus the 2-4 cores for system (not really 4, probably 2, possibly with 1 reserved).

So from 8 coresthey'd have anywhere from 2 to minus 1 core? Maybe they're taking all the top numbers as usual for marketing, to exaggerate it's effect.

Regardless, it seems promising and any improvement is a good thing, especially with most games being open, expanded areas now.

The one thing that worries me is "Seagate Expandable Storage Cards". I've had several Seagate devices, all have failed.

Of the times I've tried to redeem a replacement (refurbished.....urgh..) under warranty, they've lived and tried not to honour their responsibility.

Granted they and Western Digital have a monopoly on mechanical hard drives now, but there is a lot of choice still in the SSD space. My guess is Seagate are desperate to stay relevant in this space, so have offered a very good price (they'll have a lot of stock available, as they don't make the sales other SSD manufacturers manage).

Hopefully they aren't supplying the internal SSD, but only the SSD / memory card storage.

Thanks
    • KultiVator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus x570 Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3900x
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill 32GB (2x16gb) 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 5TB of NVMe storage (most of it on PCIe4) + Various SATA SSDs & HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus RTX 2080 Super OC 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM750x
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Eclipse P600s (Black & White Edition)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 32" 4K IPS / ASUS 24" ProArt 1200p IPS / GStory 1080p/166Hz GSync/FreeSync IPS / Quest 2 HMD

Interesting couple of weeks ahead as Microsoft reveal some gameplay for their upcoming exclusives next week and Sony will no-doubt be ready to trade a few blows in return.

PC gaming always benefits from an uptick in console capabilities, so I'm definitely going to be watching this closely.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yoyoyo69 View Post
    In regards 4 cores or more required for hardware decompression, I'm unsure if this is a misquote or misunderstanding.

Either they mean 4 cores unavailable (cores are required for os and system) or 4 or more cores plus the 2-4 cores for system (not really 4, probably 2, possibly with 1 reserved).

So from 8 coresthey'd have anywhere from 2 to minus 1 core? Maybe they're taking all the top numbers as usual for marketing, to exaggerate it's effect.
    they aren't using any CPU cores for the decompression, they have a custom IO chip that handles that - they are saying that it would require around 4 CPU core to handle the same load that their custom chip does.
    Since most home PCs require the CPU to handle the IO, they are just highlighting how much more efficient the Xbox design is over a standard PC.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yoyoyo69 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rabidmunkee View Post
    They say Xbox architecture, as they are custom chips, I assume it is just custom take on new AMD tech. As Sony are doing similar things, maybe this is the case, but who knows?

Regardless, it seems promising and any improvement is a good thing, especially with most games being open, expanded areas now.

The one thing that worries me is "Seagate Expandable Storage Cards". I've had several Seagate devices, all have failed.

Of the times I've tried to redeem a replacement (refurbished.....urgh..) under warranty, they've lived and tried not to honour their responsibility.

Granted they and Western Digital have a monopoly on mechanical hard drives now, but there is a lot of choice still in the SSD space. My guess is Seagate are desperate to stay relevant in this space, so have offered a very good price (they'll have a lot of stock available, as they don't make the sales other SSD manufacturers manage).

Hopefully they aren't supplying the internal SSD, but only the SSD / memory card storage.
    Toshiba still in the hard drive market...
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

I know we've already got Sampler Feedback Streaming on the PC through DX12 Ultimate, hopefully we'll get the DirectStorage API as well, though I guess it's less likely and given lack of homogeneity in the PC space, devs might not want to bother with it.

Thread Information