Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 TUF Gaming OC

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Asus GeForce RTX 3080 TUF Gaming OC

Good value for an OC card that delivers on all fronts.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 TUF Gaming OC

340w shows that NV pushed it hard to get the required performance...

Big card, big power draw but capable of big results. Not for me however
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks

Priced at £689.99 in the Scan advertising links within the article.

Priced at £739.99 on the Scan website.

Let the rip-offs begin!

New job, new home, new life! Feeling very positive

Team HEXUS.net
    Thanks

We were told by Asus UK, categorically, that it would be £689.99. Given there is so little stock, if any, the inevitable price gouging is taking place, which is super-frustrating for all concerned.

Thanks
    • Roobubba's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P55 GD60
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 860 @ 3.58GHz (Megahalems + Apache)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Patriot Viper DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 80GB Intel X25-M + bunch of HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 5870 + Earplugs.
      • PSU:
      • TAGAN 800W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V1110 (bit disappointing)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 24" LCD (TN)
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20MBit

Quote Originally Posted by Tarinder View Post
    We were told by Asus UK, categorically, that it would be £689.99. Given there is so little stock, if any, the inevitable price gouging is taking place, which is super-frustrating for all concerned.
    Presumably this lack of stock is planned and deliberate (on the part of NVidia here, not any 3rd party vendors I mean)? Announce cheap, limit day 0 availability to allow the market to inflate prices from the original announcement, then release stock to sell once it's become the new accepted price.

Or am I just an old cynic?

It's good to see some significant performance improvements with this generation. I'm really hoping that AMD can have a good cycle with big navi so we get some proper competition again. My totally unfounded suspicion when I heard the original announcement from Nvidia and their initial pricing was "what do they know about AMD that we don't yet know?" I fluctuate between this and the aforementioned "so few available at the announced price" loss-leader type of scenario to encourage sales.

I hope I'm wrong!
    Last edited by Roobubba; 17-09-2020 at 04:11 PM. Reason: clarify comments aimed not at 3rd parties

6. Received thanks from:

ik9000 (17-09-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roobubba View Post
    Presumably this lack of stock is planned and deliberate (on the part of NVidia here, not any 3rd party vendors I mean)? Announce cheap, limit day 0 availability to allow the market to inflate prices from the original announcement, then release stock to sell once it's become the new accepted price.

I would guess the price gouging is being done by retailers. If Asus say that they consider the price locked at £689, then they will not be varying and increasing the wholesale price when they supply retailers.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

It's good to see some significant performance improvements with this generation. I'm really hoping that AMD can have a good cycle with big navi so we get some proper competition again. My totally unfounded suspicion when I heard the original announcement from Nvidia and their initial pricing was "what do they know about AMD that we don't yet know?" I fluctuate between this and the aforementioned "so few available at the announced price" loss-leader type of scenario to encourage sales.

I hope I'm wrong!
    No manufacturer wants to flood the market only they are in and drive down prices so I wouldn't say it's cynical, it's fairly normal, and it ties in with availability of chips from the fab - if you start getting them you don't want to sit on inventory and delay your entry into market, especially if you're trying to beat a competitor.

So given the choice between delaying release and having lots of availability and launching earlier and having less availability there's only one they're going to pick. AMD would do exactly the same.

Thanks

well I compare with the 1080ti and 5700XT in alot of the 1440p and 1080p area, and what I look at is that it currently does not have any improvement over the big Nvidia.

What are they selling again, is my good question, would I need a 4K monitor, for still half assed FPS?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix198 View Post
    Priced at £689.99 in the Scan advertising links within the article.

Priced at £739.99 on the Scan website.

Let the rip-offs begin!
    Yes indeed, I managed to get one at the original price (only a pre-order for Oct), glad I did.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

here's how a certain website fared. Listed at 2am, all gone by 2pm. Only £1 price fluctuation though

IQ: 1.42
    Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Various SSDs, 90TB RAID6 HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Tarinder View Post

I hope I'm wrong!
    Doesn't make sense. Nvidia charge per chip, not as a percent it was finally sold as. Limiting availability to inflate costs doesn't benefit nvidia at all

Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by QuorTek View Post
    well I compare with the 1080ti and 5700XT in alot of the 1440p and 1080p area, and what I look at is that it currently does not have any improvement over the big Nvidia.

What are they selling again, is my good question, would I need a 4K monitor, for still half assed FPS?
    It's a 4K card that lets you finally turn all settings onto max, this has been the dream for at least 5 years now (longer for some early adopters). And very much a viable 144hz 4K card too with settings turned down; a LOT of settings add basically nothing, especially at higher resolutions, for some ridiculous fps hits (volumetrics I'm looking at you), so I could see this being a really good card for 90-120hz and culling a few more settings for 144hz.

I have a 1080Ti and mostly game at 70-80% resolution scaling to get a constant 60fps, so it works out if this card is roughly doubly as capable, that it's possible to get 100+fps on the 3080

Thanks

Where is Administration hexus.net ??

Where is administration?
    It is important.
    Thanks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tunnah View Post
    Doesn't make sense. Nvidia charge per chip, not as a percent it was finally sold as. Limiting availability to inflate costs doesn't benefit nvidia at all
    You're right it doesn't make sense to limit availability to AIBs. But as for the FE cards there is every reason to take the top binned chips, slap on an expensive cooler, hardly make any profits but get the great review recommendations at launch based on the $700 MSRP and have no intention of ever selling them at volume. And just leave AIBs to deal with the pricing mess which will have to end up higher than $700 realistically. It wouldn't explain why there is no stock of AIB cards, that's probably just down to less nefarious reasons of high demand and low yields initially.

Would that be too cynical? I would say probably except Nvidia did this exact same thing with 2080Ti when it launched with EVGA for $999. They probably sold double digits for that price before it got jacked up to its real price of $1200... And the FE cards this time don't cost $100 more than AIB cards, they cost the same despite being better binned and having a very expensive cooler so of course reviews will be good and demand will be high. But where is the stock? It's just very shady as usual from Nvidia and the bad taste they left from the 2000 series hasn't gone away...

Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Zhaoman View Post
    You're right it doesn't make sense to limit availability to AIBs. But as for the FE cards there is every reason to take the top binned chips, slap on an expensive cooler, hardly make any profits but get the great review recommendations at launch based on the $700 MSRP and have no intention of ever selling them at volume. And just leave AIBs to deal with the pricing mess which will have to end up higher than $700 realistically. It wouldn't explain why there is no stock of AIB cards, that's probably just down to less nefarious reasons of high demand and low yields initially.

Would that be too cynical? I would say probably except Nvidia did this exact same thing with 2080Ti when it launched with EVGA for $999. They probably sold double digits for that price before it got jacked up to its real price of $1200... And the FE cards this time don't cost $100 more than AIB cards, they cost the same despite being better binned and having a very expensive cooler so of course reviews will be good and demand will be high. But where is the stock? It's just very shady as usual from Nvidia and the bad taste they left from the 2000 series hasn't gone away...
    It's not cynical it's just...absolute nonsense lol. What are you even saying ? I legit can't understand the conspiracy theory you're even trying to make!

OK I'm going to have to do this bit by bit because you're hurting my head.

But as for the FE cards there is every reason to take the top binned chips, slap on an expensive cooler, hardly make any profits but get the great review recommendations at launch based on the $700 MSRP and have no intention of ever selling them at volume.
    Top binned parts are used for overclocking. The FE cards are the lowest clocked parts! All AIB cards come in with some form of overclock. And even if they didn't, they'd be the same speed. But I just don't get the point you're trying to make.

And just leave AIBs to deal with the pricing mess which will have to end up higher than $700 realistically. It wouldn't explain why there is no stock of AIB cards, that's probably just down to less nefarious reasons of high demand and low yields initially.
    AIBs don't deal with the pricing mess tho, that is the retailers. The AIBs pay a fixed price for their chips, but retailers negotiate prices with them or distributors. But because of amount of stocks bought, and/or just general relationships, the prices can fluctuate due to vendors "bidding" for the stock - if retailer A says they want 1000 units for X price, but retailer B comes along and goes "no wait I'll pay X price plus 10% if you sell to me instead" then the AIB will shift stock around. On top of that you also just have retailers increasing prices because of demand. It's a poo thing to do, but it's business. (I'm applying my experience in another field here I don't know if this is 100% how it works with PC consumer parts)

I would say probably except Nvidia did this exact same thing with 2080Ti when it launched with EVGA for $999. They probably sold double digits for that price before it got jacked up to its real price of $1200... And the FE cards this time don't cost $100 more than AIB cards, they cost the same despite being better binned and having a very expensive cooler so of course reviews will be good and demand will be high. But where is the stock?
    A lot of shady stuff went on with the 2080Ti but it nvidia trying to make a few extra bucks wasn't one of em. You gotta remember, the 20 series had a buttload of money sunk into R&D costs, it was an expensive leap forward that we ended up paying for; they forced us to adopt technology that was nowhere ready because they had to recoup the insane R&D costs. A lot of people say it had something to do with mining which isn't true either, mining from dGPUs was a very short term bubble.

I just can't figure out your conspiracy, and not because it's outrageous, but genuinely because I can't see the point you're trying to make from it. But overall it seems you're thinking nvidia is trying to chip a bit more money from consumers, when the effort needed to do that in conjunction with all the moving parts doesn't make sense at the best of times, but is extra ridiculous when you factor in they're a ginormous manufacturer of millions of GPUs, this is some petty bullpoop to them

Doesn't it just make more sense to you that A) demand is off the scale; it's an amazing card at the best of times, but considering how many consumers were outright disgusted with what they pulled in the 20 series, this felt like some serious redemption, and finally consumers are getting an actual full-fat 4K card (a card that I'll admit I genuinely didn't expect for another generation, AT LEAST), and the demand is so high that tons of websites were crashing left and right

And B) We're IN THE MIDDLE OF A PANDEMIC THINGS ARE A LITTLE MESSED UP IN SUPPLY CHAINS.

Cmon buddy

Thanks

Our friendly US buddies up in arms. Over there everywhere sold out in around an hour....
    Rumours abounding that the 3090 will not be available in more than 4 figures ever (yes that means less than 10,000 cards manufactured) with yields so poor up the very top end that 99% don't make the grade

Of course they are rumours/leaks/speculation but it all appears to be a pretty bad state of affairs for NV. Perhaps they should have scaled back the hype train a tad

Also rumours that they have already stopped making FE cards and as we've seen here the partner cards are more expensive
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information