Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple takes the wraps off a quartet of iPhone 12 smartphones

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Apple takes the wraps off a quartet of iPhone 12 smartphones

iPhone 12 Pro, 12 Pro Max, iPhone 12, and 12 Mini are all 5G, all use the 5nm A14 SoC.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • mark_a_scott's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus RoG Rampage V Edition 10
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 6950X
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Dominator DDR4-2400 128GB
      • Storage:
      • 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M2, 2TB Samsung 850 Evo, 2x 6TB WD Green, Blu-Ray Writer, DVD Writer
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2x eVGA GTX980Ti 6GB in SLI
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 850w
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 800D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips BDM4065UC 40" 4K
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Vivid 200Mb/s

Re: Apple takes the wraps off a quartet of iPhone 12 smartphones

Why only 12MP cameras, I would have thought Apple would have sought parity or close parity to the Samsung S20 which has 108MP Wide and 48MP Telephoto

Thanks

I had to laugh at LTT today - why put a lightning>usb-c cable when the old brick you surely have is a type-a port? Oh yes... so you HAVE to buy another a $20 or a cable at $15
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks

You know I kind of find the irony in this quite funny. Apple/Apple users kept going on about fragmentation on Android and part of that was to do with screen resolutions all being different... then subsequently release current phones with differing resolutions based on screen size. Every iphone 12 released has a different resolution, the ppi is pretty consistent however.

Got to love their marketing as always... we've removed stuff for the environment (I don't mind this) but we're not lowering the price of the phone though (seems to have gone up in some cases). I'm sure they'll say 5G costs more, but I'm sure the savings in shipping and not adding items will save them far more than the cost increase, not to mention after sales on cables (hadn't watched LTT but if 3dcandy is right...) and maybe chargers.

Now don't get me wrong I do like one thing that Apple has done and usually that means Android manufacturers will follow... they've released a SMALL phone. I'm one of those rare people that doesn't want to have a tablet strapped to their face when using the phone part of my mobile and the new iPhone mini is basically the same size as my old moto g which if given a full screen would be the perfect size for me...so come on android people, higher spec and small screen size please .

Thanks

way behind the competition but don't forget apple has religious not customers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mark_a_scott View Post
    Why only 12MP cameras, I would have thought Apple would have sought parity or close parity to the Samsung S20 which has 108MP Wide and 48MP Telephoto
    Pixel count =/= quality
    It all depends on usage - outdoors in good light, you might pick up additional detail from those high pixel sensors (though they pixel bin too). Indoors, a good 12mp sensor with a good lens could easily beat it.
    Remember too the 108 and 48 are binned to 26 and 12mp themselves, and that the 26 vs 12 is only a 45% increase in horizontal/verical resolution vs the 12.
    The Google Pixel 5 is 12mp too....

Thanks
    • alpha channel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570 Unify
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 9 3900X
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (16GBx4) 3200MHz Corsair Vengance
      • Storage:
      • 6.25TB (Seagate x2+1TBx2 Sabrent Rocket nVME PCIe 4+3, 240GB Sandisk Extreme SSD as cache)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire 5700XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster SL600M black
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP LP2475w, Samsung 215tw & Samsung 941BW
      • Internet:
      • 32Mb/s

Ditto to LSG501, hopefully Android manufacturers follow suite and get back to releasing half decent specced sub 6" phones.

I've been happy with my Moto G4 though recently it's lost it's sim quite a few times in the past three weeks, the camera module crashes randomly forcing a restart, I have to juggle the few apps I want installed (not many) due to lack of space (including updates) and it takes fifteen minutes to get the keyboard up on those rare occasions I use it for the internet.

The trouble is I, like LSG501, don't want a 6"+ phone so no go on the latest Motorola phones, which I would have been happy with, or for that matter the bulk of Android phones and I'll be damned if I'm going to give my money to Apple so my only realistic option for a decent phone under 6" is the 4a (though the night shooting does rather intrigue so there is a bit of added value there for me).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alpha channel View Post
    The trouble is I, like LSG501, don't want a 6"+ phone so no go on the latest Motorola phones, which I would have been happy with, or for that matter the bulk of Android phones and I'll be damned if I'm going to give my money to Apple so my only realistic option for a decent phone under 6" is the 4a (though the night shooting does rather intrigue so there is a bit of added value there for me).
    Yeah 4a or the 5 even (they're pretty much the same size) is basically what I'm looking at too but there's one thing stopping me from pulling the trigger and that's the fact it's direct from google and you don't know how many additional 'trackers' they've hidden in their build....and they're a little overpriced imo.

I can get a smaller phone from the likes of nokia but they're usually so low spec it's not worth considering sadly, it's not even the processor which bothers me, it's the damn 720p resolution, come on it's 2020, give me 1080p at least lol.

Thanks

I was looking at the 12 Mini to replace my existing 6s, but given its physically smaller I might end up with the normal 12 as this sits between the normal 6s/6sPlus sizes, I didn't want to go Plus/Max and the flat 12 seems to fit that size requirement..

No charger in the box doesn't bother me, and I understand why its been done, yeah "environmental y'all" and I wont miss it as I have a 4 port plug next to the bed that charger the phone, iPad, watch and powers my Echo Dot, so its no great shakes for me.
    Even the earphones I kinda get, I have BT headphones these days, I do use the wired ones very occasionally but only a few times a year, so again no great loss as I already have headsets..

However, removing things from the box and calling it "Environmental" is just BS, it'll increase Apples margins as they're not bundling things in the box, and if it were really about saving the environment, Apple are in the wrong business, especially at the rate they are bringing out devices with minor updates rather than full sheet updates..

Thanks

WOW! the 12mp could easily beat a 108mp camera. 12 reasons why not to buy an Apple product.

Thanks

No mention of the Apple Smart Speaker that was announced as well?

Again I must laugh as LTT basically royally dissed it and Siri anyhoo
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks

Would love to Give Droid a second chance.. but their notification system is just plain wrong.. give me unread counts that don't vanish...

Registered+
    Thanks
    • nwmark's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10

Watching that presentation apple would have you believe that they invented 5G!!

5G in the preamble, 5G in the iphone 12 bit, 5G in the pro bit - they went on and on and on about it.

Thanks

I just want a phone that's the same size as the Huawei Mate 20 x (7.2"). No-one seems to bother with that size anymore. Oh, and a phone that's not vastly overpriced.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by excalibur1814 View Post
    I just want a phone that's the same size as the Huawei Mate 20 x (7.2").
    7" or larger means Xiaomi Black Shark 3 Pro or a folding phone, as far as I can see.

Same as small phones, the designs follow demand.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Lithuanian's system
      • CPU:
      • i5-6300HQ
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 1TB M2 / 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GeForce 960M

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    You know I kind of find the irony in this quite funny. Apple/Apple users kept going on about fragmentation on Android and part of that was to do with screen resolutions all being different... then subsequently release current phones with differing resolutions based on screen size. Every iphone 12 released has a different resolution, the ppi is pretty consistent however.
    I think this is in order to make the repair process harder for 3rd parties.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information