Thread: Samsung and Stanford Uni create 10,000ppi OLED display tech

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Samsung and Stanford Uni create 10,000ppi OLED display tech

R&D teams repurposed solar panel research. And new displays will be brighter, more colourful.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Samsung and Stanford Uni create 10,000ppi OLED display tech

In the not too distant future tech enthusiasts might be keenly discussing the merits of devices with 'metaphotonic OLED displays'.
    Tech enthusiasts might, but I wonder how much anybody else will care?

I mean, sure, it's great when technology gets better and better all the time, but where the appreciation of it is subjective, it will reach the point where further 'improvements' are of minimal or zero benefit to that subjective appreciation.

It happened, for instance, with colour printers, even photo printers. When the technology is so good that most people can't tell the difference without studying a picture up close, or with a magnifying glass, does the difference matter?

If we go SD, pseudo-HD, HD, 4k (and a few other wrinkles along the way) sooner or later we reach the point where even if there's a marginal benefit, it won't be enough for most people to 'upgrade' just to get it. When the old TV (or whaatever) packs up, they'll upgrade providing doing so doesn't cost a fortune, but otherwise, will stick with status quo.

I know I (and the wife) aren't typical but, SD TV is fine for our usage. We have an HD set, but only because that was standard when we last changed. I wouldn't have paid extra to do it. We're currently looking again, and may end up with 4k (if it doesn't cost more) but it isn't on my desired feature list, at all.

I'm sure I'm an exception in not caring about SD or HD, let alone 'better' but sooner or later, the norm will be good enough that most people won't pay out to get notionally 'better'. And I think we're rapidly approaching that point on displays, if we aren't already pretty much there.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
    • Gentle Viking's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus extreme X399
      • CPU:
      • TR 1920 X
      • Memory:
      • G Skill 64GB ( 8 X 8 ) PC3600 @ 3400
      • Storage:
      • Samsung evo 500GB nvme - 256GB Kingston SSD - 4TB spinning disk
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor 5700 XT red devil
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850I
      • Case:
      • Working on it, done summer 2020
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 Ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" iiyama GB2788HS
      • Internet:
      • docis 3.1 cable 1000/100 mbit

Never underestimate bragging rights of people with money or a will to spend money even if it is the banks money.

Thanks
    • rabidmunkee's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2060 OC
      • PSU:
      • EVGA
      • Operating System:
      • Win & debian
      • Internet:
      • fast-ish

hah, just wait for the iApple people to get hold of this, we wont hear the end of it.

Registered+
    Thanks

Sometimes industry throws away a better technology to use a cheaper but worse one

Plasma TVs had the best quality picture but were discontinued for led panels

Also there's someone on a consumer forum saying his oled tv has burn in, and he's thinking about suing in the small claims court

https://conversation.which.co.uk/community/welcome-lounge-introduce-yourself/#comment-1610176

Thanks

At normal viewing distances, a 4k TV needs to be exceptionally large for the added detail to be noticable with human eyesight; on a phone anything beyond the current ~4-500 ppi is invisible. Struggling to think of a use for a display like this. Projection, maybe? VR/AR?

Quote Originally Posted by liquidflower View Post
    Also there's someone on a consumer forum saying his oled tv has burn in, and he's thinking about suing in the small claims court
    https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real...d-burn-in-test

tldr: OLEDs burn in if you treat them poorly, otherwise they're great.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    In the not too distant future tech enthusiasts might be keenly discussing the merits of devices with 'metaphotonic OLED displays'.
    Tech enthusiasts might, but I wonder how much anybody else will care?

I mean, sure, it's great when technology gets better and better all the time, but where the appreciation of it is subjective, it will reach the point where further 'improvements' are of minimal or zero benefit to that subjective appreciation.

It happened, for instance, with colour printers, even photo printers. When the technology is so good that most people can't tell the difference without studying a picture up close, or with a magnifying glass, does the difference matter?

If we go SD, pseudo-HD, HD, 4k (and a few other wrinkles along the way) sooner or later we reach the point where even if there's a marginal benefit, it won't be enough for most people to 'upgrade' just to get it. When the old TV (or whaatever) packs up, they'll upgrade providing doing so doesn't cost a fortune, but otherwise, will stick with status quo.

I know I (and the wife) aren't typical but, SD TV is fine for our usage. We have an HD set, but only because that was standard when we last changed. I wouldn't have paid extra to do it. We're currently looking again, and may end up with 4k (if it doesn't cost more) but it isn't on my desired feature list, at all.

I'm sure I'm an exception in not caring about SD or HD, let alone 'better' but sooner or later, the norm will be good enough that most people won't pay out to get notionally 'better'. And I think we're rapidly approaching that point on displays, if we aren't already pretty much there.
    The problem is quite simple. It's a paradox, if you will. With the advent of the internet, there's availability of pr0n like never before. So people buy a 4K monitor for nothing more than erm... appreciation of the human form. Then the appreciation gets so... enthusiastic that their eyesight goes and they end up needing a bigger monitor at the same resolution to continue their... artistic exploits.

The end result is you get a 4K monitor AND glasses to be able to appreciate it with your sandpaper palms.

That being said, we got a 4K telly as it was what was available as last gen stock being cleared on the cheap. It did come with HDR and that is where I'd throw the extra cash if you really need it.

Most of the rubbish I watch is in SD anyway and I simply can not appreciate the benefits of my 4K monitor. Not without glasses.

By the way, don't get a cheap keyboard if you have calluses. Rubs the letters off something rotten.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by edmundhonda View Post
    Projection, maybe? VR/AR?
    Good shout.

Thanks

Samsung currently busy of creating a full-sized display using this new nanoscale tech. It will be very, very, very cool.

Thread Information