Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xbox Series S appears to ship with just 364GB of free storage

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Xbox Series S appears to ship with just 364GB of free storage

In related news, the Xbox Series X storage is so fast that game loading screens can glitch.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Xbox Series S appears to ship with just 364GB of free storage

This is what I've been saying all along. Now games are going to be 4k as standard, even the 1TB drive us going to hold only a handful of games.

They want way over £200 for another 1TB though. It's obvious why they haven't publicised any of this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yoyoyo69 View Post
    They want way over £200 for another 1TB though. It's obvious why they haven't publicised any of this.
    To be fair you can't really blame MS for this, to get a higher speed pcie 4 ssd (which you'd need for ps5) at 1TB is still around £150-200... now I'm not a fan of propriety by any means but the current pricing isn't that far out.

Thanks

Ars mentions this and does make some statements I'm sure MS won't like. Add on another TB (or 960GB) to the S and you might have well as bought and X (looking at price only here) The S does seem to have a few compromises and I'm not sure if people will skip it and get cheaper last gen or hold out (or don't buy at all) 'new' gen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    To be fair you can't really blame MS for this, to get a higher speed pcie 4 ssd (which you'd need for ps5) at 1TB is still around £150-200... now I'm not a fan of propriety by any means but the current pricing isn't that far out.
    Indeed .... but it is one reason why I am unlikely to go for any new XBox. We seem to have a choice of very restricted non-cloud usage, or very expensive. Either way, it doesn't appeal to me. Though both will no doubt sell well.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    Indeed .... but it is one reason why I am unlikely to go for any new XBox. We seem to have a choice of very restricted non-cloud usage, or very expensive. Either way, it doesn't appeal to me. Though both will no doubt sell well.
    Like a lot of things this new gen stuff is expensive. And with games going to be £90 a pop....
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    .... And with games going to be £90 a pop....
    Yikes. I need an "eek" the size of a small star.

That alone warns me off. No way, no how, am I paying £90 for any game, no matter how good. I mean, sure, people will. But no game is worth that to me. Thanks for the warning, 3d.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks

The last console I actually owned was a sega megadrive II... so it really says a lot about my interest in games consoles in general lol

Thanks

The extra storage is expensive - as stated above that's because it's PCIv4. Currently, there's only Seagate, but that will open up to other makers so there will be 1TB drives below £100 in the not too distant future.

Thanks

Apparently Series S games are smaller than the X series as they don't have 4K textures
    Jon

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post
    Ars mentions this and does make some statements I'm sure MS won't like. Add on another TB (or 960GB) to the S and you might have well as bought and X (looking at price only here) The S does seem to have a few compromises and I'm not sure if people will skip it and get cheaper last gen or hold out (or don't buy at all) 'new' gen.
    I was lucky to get an xbox series X pre-order direct from MS yesterday. Had planned on an S but the double storage and more power for the extra £200 when the cost of storage is so high is a no brainer.

Yikes. I need an "eek" the size of a small star.

That alone warns me off. No way, no how, am I paying £90 for any game, no matter how good. I mean, sure, people will. But no game is worth that to me. Thanks for the warning, 3d.
    I think a large proportion of Xbox Series owners will just be getting game pass anyway. I only picked up a One S about a year ago to try game pass and found it ticked a lot of my boxes. I know you and others will hate the idea of not owning a game but for me being able to try a wide verity of games and not feel guilty when I got bored after an hour is a real boon. I've played a lot of very new games, including lots I'd have never have bought (Ikenfell is a recent example) and I've almost been able to get game pass for free earning Microsoft points. (You can earn them doing bing searches and launching certain game pass games - Its about 10 minutes a day to pick most of them up when I'd be twiddling my thumbs anyway). It actually reduced my games outlay as I use to spend £15+ just on a few games and then not enjoy half of them!
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gagaga View Post
    The extra storage is expensive - as stated above that's because it's PCIv4. Currently, there's only Seagate, but that will open up to other makers so there will be 1TB drives below £100 in the not too distant future.
    I'm doubtful, regardless that is still far too costly to store a handful of games you've already paid exorbitantly for.

The cynic in me would say they pushing people to Xcloud, but that would be crazy.....

I was certain I was getting a Series X, as Microsoft have been on fire, but a few recent things have changed my mind, I'm no longer so sure.

Thanks

I'm doubtful, regardless that is still far too costly to store a handful of games you've already paid exorbitantly for.

The cynic in me would say they pushing people to Xcloud, but that would be crazy.....

I was certain I was getting a Series X, as Microsoft have been on fire, but a few recent things have changed my mind, I'm no longer so sure.
    Any games you have already bought for the Xbox one can be run from a standard external hard drive.

Its only the new made for series s/x games that need to be on internal storage
    Jon

Thanks

Granted, you can't, but I never said you could. I still feel they are intentionally avoiding this subject, thereby intentionally misleading.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post

This is a very good point.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Isn't the Xbox One now 7 years old? Even just allowing for a 5 year life cycle, by the end of 5 years I expect hard drives to be as relevant as CDs for storage, and PCIe 4 will look dated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information