Thread: Microsoft Surface Duo arrives in Europe next week

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Microsoft Surface Duo arrives in Europe next week

In the US the Duo's price has dropped to $999. It will be priced from £1,349 in the UK.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Microsoft Surface Duo arrives in Europe next week

If this had been priced £600/£700 in the UK I might have bit but at twice the price? It's a hard no. I just picked up a realme X50 Pro 5G (Snapdragon 865, OLED, 8GB/128GB, NFC, 65W charging etc) for £360. I could get one of these for everyone in our household for the price of a Duo, which is crazy

Thanks

That pricing strategy alone would wind me up to the point of refusing, on principle, to buy onto this but, as it happens, I'm not interested in premium phones anyway so it's academic. Also, that form factor does not appeal to me, whatever the price.

This one is not for me.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
    • Nelviticus's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • Core i5-9600K
      • Memory:
      • 32 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000
      • Storage:
      • 512GB Samsung 970 Pro SSD, 2TB Samsung EVO 860 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GeForce GTX 1060 3GB (EVGA)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2
      • Case:
      • be quiet! Silent Base 600
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2410 24", Samsung 22"
      • Internet:
      • 100 Mbps cable

I don't get why people compare this to standard-format flagship phones or complain that it's not powerful enough. It's clearly not for people who are interested in those, nor for people who want top speed and power. It's for people who want whatever the Duo is - a foldable that's not even like other foldables.

It's like complaining that a helicopter isn't as fast as a jet, as cheap as a sailboat or as easy to park as a car. So what? It's not aiming to be. If you're in the small niche that needs to hover, a helicopter is worth the price.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nelviticus View Post
    I don't get why people compare this to standard-format flagship phones or complain that it's not powerful enough. It's clearly not for people who are interested in those, nor for people who want top speed and power. It's for people who want whatever the Duo is - a foldable that's not even like other foldables.

Who is doing that?
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks

It's like complaining that a helicopter isn't as fast as a jet, as cheap as a sailboat or as easy to park as a car. So what? It's not aiming to be. If you're in the small niche that needs to hover, a helicopter is worth the price.
    I think there is some merit in the comparison, because this isn't 2 phones, it's two screens, one SoC, 2 batteries (one big, one small), and a pair of hinges. If anything it should be cheaper than 2 higher spec midrange phones

Thanks

Got the look of something that was designed when the iPhone 5 was on trend and a 2 year old chipset. £1350 is easily double what it should be.

I still wouldn't but I could understand it.

Thanks
    • Nelviticus's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • Core i5-9600K
      • Memory:
      • 32 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000
      • Storage:
      • 512GB Samsung 970 Pro SSD, 2TB Samsung EVO 860 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GeForce GTX 1060 3GB (EVGA)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2
      • Case:
      • be quiet! Silent Base 600
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2410 24", Samsung 22"
      • Internet:
      • 100 Mbps cable

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    I don't get why people compare this to standard-format flagship phones or complain that it's not powerful enough

Who is doing that?
    The very first post compares its value to that of a standard-format phone.

Thanks

The very first post compares its value to that of a standard-format phone.
    Does it? Do you mean the review linked in the opening post? Or daddacool's post in the first reply?

In the first of those, it refers to it as in the "foloding phone market" but via a different technology, and as a "quite unique smartphone". Which seems fair enough.

If you mean mean te second, then it's compared to a Realme which doesn't strikeme as a "flagship" phone. I guess it's down to individual judgement but I'd class "flagship" phones as the very top end of Apple, Samsung, etc and, maybe it reflects my ignorance by .... Realme? Not exactly Apple or Samsung.

I think the point daddacool was making was the price difference for comparable hardware which means for the Duo to appeal, you either have to be very keen on MS as a brand or the specif Duo functionality has to justify the huge price difference. Maybe for some people, it does and in that case, buy the Duo. But surely, it's also valid for dadda to point out that, at £600-£700 he might be interested but not at £1349. And I don't see what's unreasonable about that. He seems to be saying he likes the concept. but not the price premium required to get it.

I understand that approach. I'm camera-buying at the moment. There are a couple of models, at least, where I'd like the features offered, but don't like them enough to pay that much for them. Some people (quite a lot, actually) will, but not me. If I was to think about that kind of money on a phone, I'd probably end up with a flagship Samsung. But it will never happen (short of a Lotto jackpot win).

Dadda's comment looks fine to me, because it really says that too him, "nice idea but too expensive, Way too expensive".

My dismissal of the phone is much simpler. I don't much like the implementation, but don't want a phone at that price, whether Duo or conventional-format "flagship".

I can't see what's wrong with dadda's view view, which is simply "nice but too pricey, not good value", especially given US pricing. It looks rather like MS taking us for mugs, or that MS put a much higher value on the Duo special feature than he does.

Thanks

I'd buy it, as I'd like to try something new and different. Why would I spend £1,000 on an iphone 10/Samsung, then an iphone 11 for over £1,000, then the next iphone for £1,000+?

If you're all happy buying the SAME THING OVER AND OVER AGAIN, then go for it. We ALL know that the Duo will fall in price... quickly. Don't pretend that you don't know this. I'm buying once it's under £500 on eBay.

Thanks

Bad time to launch. I suspect those who might have been tempted for use on the move are currently sat at home on a zoom call in their PJs.

Registered+
    Thanks

I'd wait for the 2nd iteration, it feels a bit gimmicky rn, but I do love the clean aesthetic of the Duo.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Quote Originally Posted by ShakiraLaw View Post
    I'd wait for the 2nd iteration, it feels a bit gimmicky rn, but I do love the clean aesthetic of the Duo.
    I'd wait for the second revision and to see if MS actually stick with it this time.

Registered+
    Thanks

1.3K for a phone... Nope, it's cool and all but I'll wait for gen 3 when it's hopefully cheaper with better software

Thread Information