Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intel Core i5-11600K

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Intel Core i5-11600K

We find out if the mainstream 11th Gen Core makes more sense to the enthusiast.
    Read more.

The Ace
    Thanks

Re: Intel Core i5-11600K

The main pros are, its in stock and cheap.

Team HEXUS.net
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by abychristy View Post
    In these times, those two are pretty damn important.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Any chance you can review the Core i5 11400?? Would be interesting to see how it fares against the Ryzen 5 3600!

Edit!!

I noticed the Core i9 was tested using memory running in Gear1 mode?? Is there much difference between Gear1 and Gear2 mode on the Core i5 11600K(it was tested used Gear2). I am seeing conflicting information on what mode needs to be used.

Registered+
    Thanks

TechPowerUp have a good review on 11400F, including memory modes:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i5-11400f/24.html

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tarinder View Post
    My US retail buddies are saying availability is good mainly because nobody wants them - with sales at around 20% of Intels projections so far...
    Now call me a cynic but in these times when everybody wants new tech etc. how can Intel launch a product that seemingly nobody wants to buy?
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks

Anything to save face , which has been rubbed in the dung heap for a while now by AMD. Flogging a dying horse for what they can and I don't blame them , any company in their position would do the same. They sat on their smug backside for so long and got caught napping. At some point no doubt they will turn things around but have a lot of R&D to do because AMD seem to be striding ahead.If AMD had possessed the marketing power of Intel a way back Intel would possibly be dead in the water. Whatever camp your in we need both to compete and keep prices somewhere near affordable to the regular PC users that haven't got money to burn.

Thanks
    • Ozaron's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X570 Unify
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Patriot Blackout @ 3800 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Toshiba X300 4TB (2), Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire 5700XT, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12-II 620w
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • W10 Enterprise 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte G27QC
      • Internet:
      • 2.5 MB/s ↓ 0.86 MB/s ↑ ~20ms

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    My US retail buddies are saying availability is good mainly because nobody wants them - with sales at around 20% of Intels projections so far...
    Now call me a cynic but in these times when everybody wants new tech etc. how can Intel launch a product that seemingly nobody wants to buy?
    I think everyone views this generation as a stopgap, and with the bad press the 11700K and 11900K have gotten, and the good press Ryzen 5000 has gotten, it's hard to justify bothering. Plus, many other parts needed for a full rebuild right now are not available.
    Anyone doing their research will wait for Intel to get off 14nm and the elitists are waiting for DDR5 RAM.

Thanks
    • Iota's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Hero XI
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i9 9900KF
      • Memory:
      • CMD32GX4M2C3200C16
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 1TB / 3 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1200i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung Odyssey G9
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps BT FTTH

how can Intel launch a product that seemingly nobody wants to buy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozaron View Post
    Anyone doing their research will wait for Intel to get off 14nm and the elitists are waiting for DDR5 RAM.
    Interesting points, combination of no clear upgrade path after this generation (socket change), DDR5 on the horizon for both Intel and AMD platforms as well as the obvious 14nm++++++ thing. Me I'll wait for DDR5 to come into play before upgrading now, unless obviously my motherboard dies a horrible death (which it shouldn't).

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

because it's all they've got to offer?

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Iota View Post
    Interesting points, combination of no clear upgrade path after this generation (socket change), DDR5 on the horizon for both Intel and AMD platforms as well as the obvious 14nm++++++ thing. Me I'll wait for DDR5 to come into play before upgrading now, unless obviously my motherboard dies a horrible death (which it shouldn't).
    Whilst at the same time AMD has literally given up on the entry level and mainstream markets. You can't even get 12NM APU parts easily since last summer. Too many enthusiasts seem to be transfixed on the higher end CPU market. They have seemingly forgotten what AMD has under £300 streetprice,which is Zen2 based or the fact that so many prebuilt systems and laptops are still Intel,and are far easier to find worldwide.

Its telling when even Hardware Unboxed/Techspot who have been quite favourable to AMD,now have stopped recommending the Ryzen 5 3600,and now say something like a Core i5 11600KF/10600KF seem better value. Gamersnexus sarcastically mentioned in their Core i5 11400 review,AMD has more or less abandoned that market now.

Now the Core i5 11400 has started to get more reviews,its being universally recommended over the Ryzen 5 3600,and reviewers are questioning whether the Ryzen 5 5600X is worth almost twice the price.

At this point if you need integrated graphics in a desktop CPU,Intel is essentially the only choice for you now - even finding a Athlon 3000G is difficult. If you are building an entry level or mainstream gaming or general purpose PC,AMD isn't as competitive anymore. Sure AMD has "more of an upgrade path" but the 12C/16C Zen2 parts,let alone the Zen3 equivalents haven't dropped that much in price,and plenty of people don't ever upgrade the CPU in their motherboard too.

Plus when it comes to laptops,its still much easier to find the latest Intel 10NM parts than any of the Zen3 based mobile APUs. Most AMD laptops seem to be on the earlier generation Zen2 APUs,and even then many of them seem to have more compromises which is rather annoying - even specced with worst screens and less RAM than the Intel equivalents! Plus availability is not as great either - was looking for a friend and some pretty big retailers/OEMs still have relatively limited selections of AMD powered machines.

Some friends have been asking me for advice on budget desktop upgrades,and new laptops - it sadly seems to be veering towards Intel in a few cases now!
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 08-04-2021 at 08:42 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tarinder View Post
    Its not as cheap as the discounted 10th gen and performs no better, the 10700 is currently cheaper and faster its what I would buy if I was building a system right now.

13. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (08-04-2021)

Thanks

Can someone give me one good reason to buy Intel next time?!?! I mean one good reason.. that does not involve constant replacement of new Motherboards Money Sink?

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Ripcord View Post
    Its not as cheap as the discounted 10th gen and performs no better, the 10700 is currently cheaper and faster its what I would buy if I was building a system right now.
    The Core i5 10400F at £125 is excellent value,although the Core i5 11400F at £150 is very close to a Core i5 10600K according to some reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by QuorTek View Post
    Can someone give me one good reason to buy Intel next time?!?! I mean one good reason.. that does not involve constant replacement of new Motherboards Money Sink?
    They are cheaper and faster for a budget/mainstream builder now,and AMD AM4 now is on its last set of CPU upgrades,and those CPUs have a massive increase in price over Zen2?? Intel B560 and H570 now allow RAM to be run at XMP(or even overclocked apparently),and PCI-E 4.0 is available in both(PCI-E 4.0 NVME slot is only in the H570). Hence you don't need the stupidly priced Z490 or Z590 motherboards anymore.

My second PC now has a Core i5 10400,even though my main PC has a Ryzen 7 3700X. It made little or no sense for me to buy a Ryzen 5 3600 at £50 more, even in my 5L Velka 5 mini-ITX case.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    The Core i5 10400F at £125 is excellent value,although the Core i5 11400F at £150 is very close to a Core i5 10600K according to some reviews.

They are cheaper and faster for a budget/mainstream builder now,and AMD AM4 now is on its last set of CPU upgrades,and those CPUs have a massive increase in price over Zen2?? Intel B560 and H570 now allow RAM to be run at XMP(or even overclocked apparently),and PCI-E 4.0 is available in both(PCI-E 4.0 NVME slot is only in the H570). Hence you don't need the stupidly priced Z490 or Z590 motherboards anymore.

My second PC now has a Core i5 10400,even though my main PC has a Ryzen 7 3700X. It made little or no sense for me to buy a Ryzen 5 3600 at £50 more, even in my 5L Velka 5 mini-ITX case.
    But it's all a bit late to the party....
    I know you're trying to make a case here but Intel has sucked for a bit, AMD has supply issues and even with Intel arguably having the better product it's being ignored by many. I got an email this morning the US is seeing sales on these cpu's already - especially the i9's. Intel is offering discounts already to shift them. Meanwhile AMD is selling as many as it can make and prices are rising due to supply issues and demand. Short term I can see Intel selling well, but long term I'm not so sure. Even with this launch I'm hearing it hasn't dented peoples wishes to buy AMD for their next systems

Of course - those on a budget and those needing a system now might still choose Intel at moment...
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    At this point if you need integrated graphics in a desktop CPU,Intel is essentially the only choice for you now - even finding a Athlon 3000G is difficult.
    If you do find one (I did have the chance to buy one recently and even as a sane price) there is the glaring problem that they are not supported by 500 series motherboards which is enough to put me off.

Fingers crossed AMD have some new budget APUs in the works.

In the meantime, if I really need an old APU I shall grab the 2200G out of my daughter's PC and get her an upgrade. The 3600 is getting back down to sane prices, or I get a 5800X and she gets my 3700X as a hand-me-down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information