Thread: Nvidia CEO on Arm buyout: "we'll still get the deal done in 2022"

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Nvidia CEO on Arm buyout: "we'll still get the deal done in 2022"

But yesterday the UK government issued a public interest intervention notice.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Nvidia CEO on Arm buyout: "we'll still get the deal done in 2022"

Ummm, is this not a bit late, given its already not owned by the UK, the govt, if they wanted any input in the first place, should have stopped it being bought by an outside interest, so, either they pay over the odds to buy it back from Japan, or they stfu..

3. Received thanks from:

Pleiades (20-04-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by [GSV]Trig View Post
    Ummm, is this not a bit late, given its already not owned by the UK, the govt, if they wanted any input in the first place, should have stopped it being bought by an outside interest, so, either they pay over the odds to buy it back from Japan, or they stfu..
    Bit late yes (like many others I think it was stupid selling it), but there were some specific caveats stuck into the last buyout regarding keeping it in the UK.

While I don't doubt it will go through I would like to think at the very least that the government safeguards arm being based in the UK if nothing else... it's not like we can actually build the chips here either way (come on government, lets encourage a few chip foundries to come to the UK too...)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by [GSV
    Trig;304]Ummm, is this not a bit late, given its already not owned by the UK, the govt, if they wanted any input in the first place, should have stopped it being bought by an outside interest, so, either they pay over the odds to buy it back from Japan, or they stfu..
    International businesses that have stakes in multiple nations are still bidden to those nations saying "hol' up" as I understand it.

Frankly, I also believe this will go through and honestly believe it will be the biggest mistake in the tech sector that will have decades of repercussions. I have zero faith that nvidia as both who they are and them being an American company will honour anything or any agreements made at all.

I'd be very surprised if companies like AMD, Intel, Apple, Samsung and the many others that utilise ARM as either the core of their platform or as a supplementary system within their platform would be for this deal going ahead.

If Nvidia gain control of ARM, they control the narrative and by controlling the narrative they can also be an edge first on their literal competitors who license the very designs they are designing for their competitors use.

But I could be wrong, Nvidia may have had a change of heart...

Thanks

While Nvidia isn't the best choice for owning AMD, its still far better than any Chinese linked company acquiring it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by will19565 View Post
    While Nvidia isn't the best choice for owning AMD, its still far better than any Chinese linked company acquiring it.
    What are your thoughts on NVidia owning ARM though?

Old Geezer
    Thanks

A large donation to Tory Party funds, will see Nvidia gaining swift approval.

9. Received thanks from:

[GSV]Trig (20-04-2021),CAT-THE-FIFTH (20-04-2021),Tabbykatze (21-04-2021)

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabbykatze View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by [GSV
    Trig;304]Ummm, is this not a bit late, given its already not owned by the UK, the govt, if they wanted any input in the first place, should have stopped it being bought by an outside interest, so, either they pay over the odds to buy it back from Japan, or they stfu..
    International businesses that have stakes in multiple nations are still bidden to those nations saying "hol' up" as I understand it.

Frankly, I also believe this will go through and honestly believe it will be the biggest mistake in the tech sector that will have decades of repercussions. I have zero faith that nvidia as both who they are and them being an American company will honour anything or any agreements made at all.

I'd be very surprised if companies like AMD, Intel, Apple, Samsung and the many others that utilise ARM as either the core of their platform or as a supplementary system within their platform would be for this deal going ahead.

If Nvidia gain control of ARM, they control the narrative and by controlling the narrative they can also be an edge first on their literal competitors who license the very designs they are designing for their competitors use.

But I could be wrong, Nvidia may have had a change of heart...
    Nvidia owning Arm would be horrific for the industry.

The reporting going to the Minister for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport is demonstrating they seriously underestimate the importance of this. Digital and sport are two very different thing which shouldn't be under the same minister but, regardless, I would have misgivings if AMD wanted it, but far less so. Nvidia has demonstrated a ruthless business strategy, and they will quite happily dispense with legal obligations.

Is it worth writing to MPs to do something about this and maybe suggest, if ARM is up for sale, the UK government might wish to acquire it as part of their global Britain and being at the centre of tech development, blah blah?

11. Received thanks from:

Iota (20-04-2021)

Thread Information